Poll About Travel razor

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.

Which Disposal or cartridge razor you would choose?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Gillette Blue II
No votes
Bic Sensitive 1
44%
Gillette Sensor Excel
22%
Gillette Trac II
33%

Total votes: 9

celar36

Poll About Travel razor

Post by celar36 »

I am wondering which to buy and somehow I cannot decide so please choose.
I had the thread before but I think this will be better thanks!

Thinks I am looking for is how good they perform, money not an issue :)
Jack
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

None of the above. My only razor is a forty-five-year-old Merkur DE travel set in a small hammered stainless steel box; it was re-branded for Hoffritz, NY. It travels well and can carry a couple of good blades in the case. Similar sets are readily obtained to this day, though perhaps not with the chic little case.

Buzz
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I use the Bic, when I travel for work via plane. Can't travel with DE blades - for some reason, cartridge razors aren't dangerous according to TSA and CATSA (and other airport security bodies). So for me the Bic Sensitive is the next best thing. I always have one in my travel kit bag which I keep in my rolling carry-on ready to go if I need to catch a plane quickly.

If I travel by ground, then I take one of my DE razors and some feathers.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
styptic screams

Post by styptic screams »

I voted for the Gillette Sensor Excel because I do occasionally use one, but...

My favorite cartridge-type razor is a Schick FX Diamond.

My customary travel razor is a Bic Metal.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

if im not using a de nothing comes close to a fusion

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

styptic screams wrote:...My customary travel razor is a Bic Metal.
Can never find them either here in Canada or the US when I go looking - thus my trusty supply of the Bic Sensitives.

Any ideas where one can readily procure the metals in Canada (or the US)??
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Of your options, I went for the Trac II.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

E) none of the above.

The restriction about blades is just for carry on right?

I have a bunch of Atra carts and 2 handles. I wouldn't buy squat, I'd use them. It's a shave, nothing more.

But if I could, I'd bring my trazel kit that has a Travel Tech handle and New Long Comb head; Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows in it too. In checked baggage. If that's allowed. I have no idea what's allowed. I don't travel by air.

I rarely fly now with all of the new BS to go through. I'm good on the ground- don't need the BS from the TSA brownshirts. I won't go further, but I have a difficult time with police states.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ShadowsDad wrote:...

The restriction about blades is just for carry on right?

That is correct -- I travel for business somewhat (around 15% of the time-ish) and am in the habit of carrying everything on so as to avoid the baggage carousel, lost luggage as well as to get through the car rental counter and out of the airport area as quick as I can. I have made the error of once or twice forgetting to remove a DE blade pack from my kit bag, and got a very careful examination both times. That's why I now have two kit bags - one for carry-on air travel, and one for ground or checked baggage travel.
Wendell

BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

None of the above. Schick Hydro IMO is the best cartridge ever. It's the only one I can use and not feel that I'm sacrificing a quality shave. Highly recommended.

And, when not doing the whole air travel TSA restriction thing, I just bring my DE.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Voted BiC sensitive as I´ve used it for travel a couple of years, but I now use the Wilkinson Sword (Schick) FX Diamond.
Eric
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I put a decent DE (new R41) or SE (Gem 1912) in my checked luggage. Never had a problem. All things being equal, I'd rather drive eleven hours than fly for five. The TSA is security theater, like a modern Keystone Kops, but not as entertaining.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

M6Classic wrote:None of the above. My only razor is a forty-five-year-old Merkur DE travel set in a small hammered stainless steel box; it was re-branded for Hoffritz, NY. It travels well and can carry a couple of good blades in the case. Similar sets are readily obtained to this day, though perhaps not with the chic little case.Buzz
I purchased a Merkur travel razor a couple of years ago. I believe the case is made of German leatherette (like VW or BMW seats :) ). Just wondering if you've tried taking yours in unchecked luggage, with a couple of blades in the case, on an airplane...
Living dangerously,
Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I recommend the Gillette Guard, unfortunately, it didn't make the list. :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I don't travel, so I didn't vote..... :)

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

GregPQ wrote:
M6Classic wrote:None of the above. My only razor is a forty-five-year-old Merkur DE travel set in a small hammered stainless steel box; it was re-branded for Hoffritz, NY. It travels well and can carry a couple of good blades in the case. Similar sets are readily obtained to this day, though perhaps not with the chic little case.Buzz
I purchased a Merkur travel razor a couple of years ago. I believe the case is made of German leatherette (like VW or BMW seats :) ). Just wondering if you've tried taking yours in unchecked luggage, with a couple of blades in the case, on an airplane...
Living dangerously,
Greg
I pack mine in checked baggage, but it is in a one-and-a-half-inch square metal casket and has never raised any alarms.

Buzz
mike'sworld

Post by mike'sworld »

Of the razors listed, by far my favorite is the Sensor Excel. I think Gillette technology went downhill from there, or rather toward a headlong dash for profits.
I haven't shaved with mine for years, though. I take a cased g type injector with me on trips. It's fool proof as far as type of lather, water hardness or temperature goes. It never fails to deliver a quick smooth shave. The blades last a long long time so there's one less thing to worry with.
I smell like a Moldovan grandfather
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Of the choices in the poll I'd go with Trac II, and my nice heavy brass Trac II handle.

Also, I have a travel DE with the hammered metal box as mentioned above, and yes I've taken it in my carry on luggage, with a blade or two.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I have a Merkur Travel Razor. If I fly, I mail a blade or two ahead or put it in checked baggage if my wife or I (usually her) have a checked bag. If neither of those works, I keep an inexpensive double-bladed disposable razor (plastic Trac II-type, any brand) in my dopp kit just in case. I like it better than the Bic.
Last edited by a-cut-above on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I usually just take my Merkur HD in the plastic case, and figure out the blade situation depending if I'm carrying on or checking a bag. If it ends up being too much effort I just take a Bic (metal or sensitive). I have been known to pick up the Mach 3 in a 3 pack travel variety in a pinch. I always prefer the HD, and my travel arrangements these days usually allow it.
--Greg