50 years of The Stones

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

50 years of The Stones

Post by Rufus »

That's right, 50 years ago today The Rollin' Stones (as they were then known) performed their first gig, at the Marquee Club in London. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are original members of the group performing that day. I never grow tired of Mick and the boys and consider The Stones to be the best rock 'n roll band ever; I was never much of a Beatles fan although they have done some interesting and memorable things.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

It's only rock 'n' roll ......... but, I like it!
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I go hot and cold on the Stones --- some stuff I like alright, other stuff I don't. I always held the opinion that Miss You was a brilliant foray into dance/disco music in pure Stones' Style back in the 70s. It was like wait a minute -- this is dance music, but it's the Stones. 8)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
paddy

Post by paddy »

i have seen them live a few times. always a great show.

favourite albums are 'exile on main street' and 'let it bleed'.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
merkri

Post by merkri »

This is my new favorite tune by the Stones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBmhEMFdl0

I think it humanizes them a bit for me.

I was also impressed by how the Stones stood out in this demonstration of guitar riffs over time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiC__IjCa2s

I feel like there was a distinct change in that sequence with "Satisfaction" (with the possible exception of Johnny Cash). I'm not sure if I can put my finger on it, but it's like there's an expansion of the scale or something.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

merkri wrote:This is my new favorite tune by the Stones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBmhEMFdl0

I think it humanizes them a bit for me.
Brilliant -- my new favourite as well. 8)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Keith Richards' lead and rhythm guitar work on "Gimme Shelter." I'd give up an injector to be able to play that.

He's never come close to recreating the studio sound while playing live. Pity.
Ron
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

rsp1202 wrote:Keith Richards' lead and rhythm guitar work on "Gimme Shelter." I'd give up an injector to be able to play that.

He's never come close to recreating the studio sound while playing live. Pity.
A lot of things that can be done in the studio are almost impossible to do live. Overdubs, retakes, special effects, extra studio musicians, etc. still, I want to hear the band itself in a live setting -- not recorded backing tracks.
Last edited by Kyle76 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Richards has never recreated the riff itself, and all the versions I've heard of him live are pale comparisons, not even close. He's even let Ron Wood take the lead many times. So I don't care for "live" in this case. I guess that even though it sounds relatively simple, it can't (or won't) be done on stage. Anyway, it's his music, he can do what he wants; I've got the recording.
Ron
paddy

Post by paddy »

ron wood is technically a much superior guitarist compared to keef and it doesn't surprise me that he is given the leads to do live. that said, keff has definitely got the raw mojo going on in his playing. plus he wrote the damn thing!
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
paddy

Post by paddy »

in case any of you have not seen this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClgtoM2RwQY
brothers

Post by brothers »

Honky Tonk Woman is my all time favorite. I see myself as the guy on the receiving end of this wildcat! A bit of a vicarious adventure, that probably describes all of us to some extent.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote:Honky Tonk Woman is my all time favorite. I see myself as the guy on the receiving end of this wildcat! A bit of a vicarious adventure, that probably describes all of us to some extent.
+++1!
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

brothers wrote:Honky Tonk Woman is my all time favorite. I see myself as the guy on the receiving end of this wildcat! A bit of a vicarious adventure, that probably describes all of us to some extent.
Honky Tonk Women and Brown Sugar were two huge jukebox hits in the summers of my youth as I patrolled beach pavilions in search of young love, seldom found. They are indelibly stamped on my musical soul.
Jim