Musgo Real Shaving Soap, anyone?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Flash G

Musgo Real Shaving Soap, anyone?

Post by Flash G »

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the new shaving soap from Musgo Real?
Eric
Roger Smith

Post by Roger Smith »

Is this soap even tallow-based? If not, I'm not interested in slightest bit.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've come to the realization that tallow isn't the magical ingredient that lots of folks think it is. There are plenty of absolutely fantastic soaps that don't contain tallow, and one soap that I rejected as junk that did contain it.

But for the OP, yes, there's a review very close to your thread.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

ShadowsDad wrote:I've come to the realization that tallow isn't the magical ingredient that lots of folks think it is. There are plenty of absolutely fantastic soaps that don't contain tallow, and one soap that I rejected as junk that did contain it.

But for the OP, yes, there's a review very close to your thread.
Thanks, it was posted after I posted my question. Good to know we can rely on Gary to try out the new stuff :)

I'm also in agreement that tallow isn't the magical ingredient.
Eric
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

And now the review thread's gone. What happend?
Eric
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm only a peon, can't help. It was there, I swear it was!
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Guys, that was me. I did my very best to lather it, and failed. To say more would be cruel. Let's enjoy the many products that work, and ignore those that don't.

On second thought, here's what I want to say about this. Musgo soap is a fraudulent dud, so beware. I've also posted this on B&B.

I was aware that the German shaving forum first sounded the alarm about this a couple of weeks ago. I was stubborn and decided to try it for myself. I did everything right because I was forewarned. Distilled water, Rooney Finest brush, loaded the brush for a full two minutes on the soap before moving to the lather bowl for a full four minutes. All I got was big bubbly brown suds, a lot of suds. I left the brush sitting in the bowl and the suds immediately began to dissipate, and after a minute or so, even the suds had all but disappeared. I've suggested to the vendor that he should return the shipment to the factory and get a refund. This soap shouldn't be on the market. The insult is emphasized by the glowing language on the box about how wonderful the lather and shave are going to be. That's either dishonest or gross incompetence.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

puck

Post by malocchio »

this puck got bad reviews on the Spanish forums.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I might be referring to the Spanish forum, instead of the German. I do recall that is was in a language in which I'm not very literate. Oh, I understand some of the guys on the Spanish forum have been in contact with Ach. Brito, and that the manufacturer is open to looking into the issue.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

That's a shame that it's so bad!

I have a tube of their cream and it's good. I'm hoping they had a bad batch.
Brian

Teiste

Post by Teiste »

brothers wrote:I might be referring to the Spanish forum, instead of the German. I do recall that is was in a language in which I'm not very literate. Oh, I understand some of the guys on the Spanish forum have been in contact with Ach. Brito, and that the manufacturer is open to looking into the issue.
Portuguese,my friend,Portuguese : www.barbearclassico.com
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for placing this on the right track, Teiste. Portuguese!
Gary

malocchio

Post by malocchio »

the puck was reviewed,with lousy ratings,on the Spanish forum (foroafeitado.com) early in the pucks debut..
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

malocchio wrote:the puck was reviewed,with lousy ratings,on the Spanish forum (foroafeitado.com) early in the pucks debut..
Man,Im a founder of foroafeitado.com and I didnt even check it out hahahahahahaha :lol: Im also a founder of barbearclassico and when I want to read about Portuguese stuff,this is the first place I check.
crackstar

Re: puck

Post by crackstar »

malocchio wrote:this puck got bad reviews on the Spanish forums.
I'm on the gut rasiert (German) forum every day, and I actually spoke to 4 guys from Germany on the phone this week and last, and they told me the Musgo soap is almost worthless as a shaving soap.
JEFF
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

That really is a shame!
Eric
brothers

Post by brothers »

The new creams in 5 varieties in addition to the Classic are very good. Now the Musgo Real brand of shaving cream will have the ability to attract a lot of new fans.
Gary

California Cajun

Post by California Cajun »

The way these lathering experiences are being described, I wonder if it is regular soap mislabeled as a shaving soap.
brothers

Re: Musgo Real Shaving Soap, anyone?

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:05 am Posted August 10, 2012
Guys, that was me. I did my very best to lather it, and failed. To say more would be cruel. Let's enjoy the many products that work, and ignore those that don't.

On second thought, here's what I want to say about this. Musgo soap is a fraudulent dud, so beware. I've also posted this on B&B.

I was aware that the German shaving forum first sounded the alarm about this a couple of weeks ago. I was stubborn and decided to try it for myself. I did everything right because I was forewarned. Distilled water, Rooney Finest brush, loaded the brush for a full two minutes on the soap before moving to the lather bowl for a full four minutes. All I got was big bubbly brown suds, a lot of suds. I left the brush sitting in the bowl and the suds immediately began to dissipate, and after a minute or so, even the suds had all but disappeared. I've suggested to the vendor that he should return the shipment to the factory and get a refund. This soap shouldn't be on the market. The insult is emphasized by the glowing language on the box about how wonderful the lather and shave are going to be. That's either dishonest or gross incompetence.
Good news! I have learned from some of my fellow SMF members that Musgo Real shaving soap has been reformulated and is now providing excellent lather. That is very good news.
Gary