Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jww
Woolly Bully

Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn Soap

Post by jww »

I took a bit of a flyer and ordered up some EJ Sea Buckthorn soap with my last order from Fendrihan. I had always wanted to try it, but shied away because it isn't tallow based and I have never found glycerin based soaps to do it for me. However, I figured worst case scenario I'd try it and sell it or PIF it away some time later.

I have used it on a number of occasions now and have to say that while the soap is an average performer, the scent is absolutely out of this world. Performance wise, I would compare it to a Woods of Windsor cake I received from the good Dr Moss a few months back -- not a horrible soap but not an out of this world soap like P.160, MWF or DR Harris. It lathers well with a boar and so-so with a badger and is good for a two-pass shave, but I find it breaks down for a third pass unless you re-load the brush a bit. Not a big issue, and as I said, the scent is excellent and outweighs the somewhat lesser performance level.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
95%

Post by 95% »

The EJ creams, which are made in Germany by Mühle, are a different story: rich soothing lather, especially the Aloe Vera. It gives me the most comfortable shave possible.
Porter
greyhawk

Re: Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn Soap

Post by greyhawk »

jww wrote:I have used it on a number of occasions now and have to say that while the soap is an average performer, the scent is absolutely out of this world. Performance wise, I would compare it to a Woods of Windsor cake I received from the good Dr Moss a few months back -- not a horrible soap but not an out of this world soap like P.160, MWF or DR Harris. It lathers well with a boar and so-so with a badger and is good for a two-pass shave, but I find it breaks down for a third pass unless you re-load the brush a bit. Not a big issue, and as I said, the scent is excellent and outweighs the somewhat lesser performance level.
Interesting--I coincidentally used this soap on Sunday after not having used it for a few months, and agree completely with your review. Great scent and decent--but not great--performance! I had to reload the brush a bit after my second pass as well. 8)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

As Porter noted -- EJ creams are actually very good. Pity they come in smaller than typical tubes. I'll get the cream version of this next time I order -- it smells that good. Reminds me of Maine and the ocean every time I take a whiff.
Wendell

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Wendell, I, too, was left with exactly the same impressions from this EJ soap.

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

On the other hand, I used P.160 this morning --- oh what an all-round heavenly shave. :)

So sad it's been discontinued -- wish I had learned about this stuff long ago and invested in a kilo. But such is life -- I have a full soap dish at the moment, and will nurse it for as long as I can. 8)
Wendell

Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I liked the scent of the Sea Buckthorn cream very much. It is somewhat of a citrus one if I remember correctly. I read somewhere (Mama Bear?)that sea buckthorn itself doesn't have a scent so it is scented by something else.
Ron
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Wendell - here is a link to some P160 currently available - http://www.italianbarber.com/shopping-c ... =5&sort=2a

Also I hear that his RazoRock R150 is pretty similar http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-a ... 50ml-r-160

I haven't yet tried either of thses, but thought you would want the info.
95%

Post by 95% »

On Wendell's recommendation I plan to order the Sea Buckthorn cream. These Edwin Jagger-Mühle creams are of the highest quality, in my opinion justifying their high price. In addition to the Aloe Vera - whose scent is an excellent rendition of what is normally a hackneyed drugstore fragrance - I can recommend the sandalwood cream. It's not a sandalwood at all like Trumper's or Taylor's, but it's stonkingly good nevertheless.
Porter
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The sandalwood is very good indeed. I like it very much. It is very understated and not strong or heavy at all.
Wendell