New to the forum

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
falcon43

New to the forum

Post by falcon43 »

Hello,
I just want to introduce myself and say hi. Although I have been wet shaving with a D/E over ten years, I am now trying to get more out of it than just scraping the fuzz off while saving money. By reading here I hope to actually learn to enjoy the process. New soaps and aromas, tweaks to technique are things I am looking forward to enjoying.
Thank you for the opportunity to join in.

Tom
Semper Fidelis
Tom
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Hi Tom, welcome to Shavemyface.com!

There is a ton of information here to see, so kick your feet up and relax during your visit.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum!

If you have questions don't be shy, ask.

Plenty of info in this section to get you started though.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+3 --- what Art and Brian said.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Welcome Tom!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Welcome to smf....look forward to seeing you around. What soaps/creams/brushes etc are you using now?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
falcon43

Post by falcon43 »

Thank you Brian, Art,Wendell and GA. Clive- currently I am using a Feather All Stainless, a Vulfix #40 super badger. For blades I am still trying to find what I really want. I have tried Feather, Wilkenson Sword and Merkur. Soap wise it's been Col Conk and TOBS Lavender.
As you see I really haven't done anything in the way of experimentation. From my readings here I am itching to try MWF, which should help with winter coming soon.
Semper Fidelis
Tom
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hey there Tom. :lol: When you get the MWF, we'll all be interested to hear how it goes. I struggled with it, even gave it away but luckily the guy I gave it to couldn't figure out how to lather it either, and then it clicked for me. It's pretty much mandatory to pull out the MWF every so often. The secret to lathering it is that there's no secret. Just forget it and do it like you do your TOBS and it'll probably be some of the best shaves for you. Thanks for joining up and posting. See ya 'round.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The preceeding message has been endorsed by SMF's Resident Woolfat Evangelist :wink:
Wendell

nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Tom, welcome to the group.

:D
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

falcon43

Post by falcon43 »

Gary- thank you and I will post my thoughts and experiences with the MWF.
Wendell- Lol, thank you for the stamp of approval. That says a lot coming from the MWF Guru.
Neal- thank you very much.
Semper Fidelis
Tom
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
falcon43

Post by falcon43 »

Thank you David.
Semper Fidelis
Tom
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Tom there are so many really great blades and soaps/creams, it's just incredible. More coming on the market every day it seems.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
falcon43

Post by falcon43 »

Brian, the more reading (and learning) that I do here I see what I have been missing. I just ordered my MWF and am looking forward to getting into it. Next thing I need to do is try any other aftershave than Clubman. Lol. That is just one of the ruts that I have let myself get into. I find that I am actually excited to branch out at this point.
Semper Fidelis
Tom
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

falcon43 wrote:... I just ordered my MWF and am looking forward to getting into it. Next thing I need to do is try any other aftershave than Clubman. Lol. That is just one of the ruts that I have let myself get into. I find that I am actually excited to branch out at this point.
And so it begins ...... the journey to the dark side of wet-shaving AD. Wait until you get interested in straight razors .... :twisted:
Wendell

falcon43

Post by falcon43 »

I can hear the Darth Vader music in my head now (lol). I actually learned to shave with a straight. I got away from it when I was in the Marines. When I was going back to wet shaving,I debated going back to it, but as someone who shaves the head I thought that could get interesting real fast. At some point I have no doubt that I will get back to it.
Semper Fidelis
Tom
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ignore the lanolin, listen to the straight. There you have it, wet shaving nirvana in a nutshell.

Chris
Wendell is a good chap, really. He will learn one day. When he finally sends me his straight razor for a free honing!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Welcome to the club, Tom. Glad to have you aboard.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Font size below changed to expose those intended to be exposed :wink:
drmoss_ca wrote: ...Wendell is a good chap, really. He will learn one day. When he finally sends me his straight razor for a free honing!
Yeah, I know, I know --- I keep meaning to clean it and something else gets in the way ...... busy fall with lots and lots of traveling scheduled between now and year-end ....... but I will get to this ...... eventually. :oops:
Wendell