For you Fatboy Fans - NOS in factory packaging

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
bugaz

For you Fatboy Fans - NOS in factory packaging

Post by bugaz »

Found this today. Surprised how much more the original packaging can add to the manufacturer's price of $1.95

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-FACTORY- ... 4848bf7a64 :twisted: :shock:
Never too old
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I don't know where this person got his appraisal, but $664 US sounds a tad steep for what looks like a 1960 Fatboy. Packaging is nice, but my 1959 Fatboy I got from Glenn a few years ago works perfectly for me. But, if someone has that kind of cash to put out, it would look nice on a shelf 8)
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I'm shocked that the guy even has five of them available, never mind one. :shock: :shock:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

If it had been just a tad better maybe he could get that additional nickle and get it up to $650.00 what a shame that he couldn't do that.

It's not worth that money to me. In fact, it's only worth something to me if I can use it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Ridiculous...

I have several Fat Boys. All are rather pristine and would probably fetch a decent price, but I would never ask the price he thinks he will obtain...

Not even close...

It's a RAZOR.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sigh -- what is in some people's heads, I just don't know.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Yes, but it's an NOS Fatboy, and they will just keep appreciating in market value. For some folks having one of them is probably like having an original Jackson Pollock. You might look at it and say, "I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like, and I don't like that." But a crowd of other people have decided, for reasons that are never clear, that it is unusual and original and creative, and now rare, and therefore valuable to collect, so the price goes way up.
_______
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The ebayers are adept at spotting trends and buzzwords, sizzle sells the steak.
Regards,
Squire
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

HOLY SCHMOLY!!! There is a sucker born every day!!!
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Gents, this is a perfectly reasonable price, and maybe even a bargain.

Consider the cost of time travel (a used Delorean can easily run $30K), the mods and energy required, and whatever clothing, currency, and contemporary banter that would need to be learned ("Can you believe how Nixon looked in that debate?"). Then take into account the walk to the local drugstore, the purchase of only five razors so as not to arouse suspicion, and the return trip. You do the math.
Ed
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I guess 'fatboy' is more alluring than 'ordinary razor made in the millions'.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

There's no doubt these are great collectables for a razor enthusiast. I'd think less than two hundred should do it for a true collector.

I recall buying a new slim when I was just embarking on getting my own razor so I could stop using my dad's 1939 Tech. I stood and compared the razors, debating whether I wanted to pay the extra for the one they now call the Fatboy. I wasn't falling for it, so I went with the cheaper one that we now call the Slim. I felt pretty good walking out to my car and thinking I had chosen wisely.

Being an ignorant kid, I didn't have the patience to fool around with the silly adjustments, so I cranked it up to 9, and griped about it cutting me all the time. It stayed on 9 and laid in my parent's medicine cabinet from the mid '60's until I got to reading all this stuff on SMF in 2008 and went over and asked my mom if I could go get my razor. I still have it.

I just now remembered that also in 2008 I hit the flea market and ended up buying a D4 Fatboy with a case for $1. Saved .95 on it after all those years.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

FWIW, my quite excellent condition FB is mothballed and in longterm storage in it's case. I like my Slim more... slightly smaller head.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

He's asking for Australian dollars. Not only is their dollar not on a par with the US and Canadian dollars, but everything in Australia is a lot more expensive than we are accustomed to paying.

Not that I would pay that kind of money for a razor.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
slantman

Post by slantman »

$666 and not even free shipping. You notice nobody has jumped at this deal. Unbelievable
sillyshaver

Post by sillyshaver »

Of course the rarity lies in the packaging...everyone and their father has a fatboy...but in the original packaging?

Has anyone seen another for sale anywhere in the last, say, 5 years? Would be nice to get an idea of previous prices...if nobody has then the collectorness (my own word) of them could be much more valuable.
brothers

Post by brothers »

To have found a brand new bundle of these together would seem to increase the value beyond breaking them up and selling them piecemeal. We don't know what the seller paid for these, but I think splitting them up in hopes of finding a group of random people willing to buy them might be very difficult to accomplish. Flooding the market, so to speak, seems to reduce the value, or at least to freeze the value at such an exhorbitant level nobody could hope to resell one or more of them for anywhere near what they paid. There have been recent discoveries of similar items, if my memory serves correctly.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

At some point it will be worth it to fake the packaging.
Regards,
Squire
cdhumiston

Post by cdhumiston »

sillyshaver wrote:Of course the rarity lies in the packaging...everyone and their father has a fatboy...but in the original packaging?

Has anyone seen another for sale anywhere in the last, say, 5 years? Would be nice to get an idea of previous prices...if nobody has then the collectorness (my own word) of them could be much more valuable.
One just went a week or so ago on ebay in original package for over $500
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Welcome to SMF!
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy