Bow Ties - A New AD for Me

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just an aside, if there was a guy who's never worn one, and doesn't know a single acquaintance who has, how would the guy learn how to tie the thing properly? Would this be a you tube source?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, there is a service that can take the ties and make them into bow ties, and was wondering if you had known that. I read about it at askandyaboutclothes.com. I have some Talbott ties that are 4 inches and look too wide compared to what is being sold, and for a couple of them, am wondering if they can cut them down into 3.5 inch ties.
SRD

Post by SRD »

brothers wrote:Just an aside, if there was a guy who's never worn one, and doesn't know a single acquaintance who has, how would the guy learn how to tie the thing properly? Would this be a you tube source?
Here you go http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how ... FORM=VIRE2
Dave
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, there are also apps in both apple and andoid markets.....the wonderfulness of living in the 21st century :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I can't lose the mental image of Helen Mirren wearing only a bow tie.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Squire, you are sick. Get help before you embarrass us all!

brothers, I've spent a few minutes reviewing YouTube offerings and I think this is the best.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
changabang

Post by changabang »

You DO know Helen Mirren is a great looking sixty-something, Chris? Squire may be "ill", but he has a point there, and I suspect his thoughts keep him young. :twisted:
James Nicks
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Got to agree with you James, once a 10 always a 10.

Chris if this be madness I eschew normality.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the links, guys!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:Just an aside, if there was a guy who's never worn one, and doesn't know a single acquaintance who has, how would the guy learn how to tie the thing properly? Would this be a you tube source?
This is the best one I found, but there are tons more available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoUre0ugkmI
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Gary, after I bought my first bow tie from Brooks Brothers during their end of summer sale, one of the sales staff showed me how to tie it. It really helped having a live person there to show me, because it can be a little tricky for the first couple of times. If there is no BB around, go to any men's store that sells bow ties and they will probably be glad to help you especially if you buy one from them.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I wish those YouTube videos had been around when I was learning to tie a bowtie. As easy as they make it look, it does require some practice. Don't wait until you are late for a formal wedding to try and learn! You'd better have a clip-on as backup! My formal tie is pretty thick and more difficult to work with than those shown in the video, especially threading the back loop through the knot. Don't make it too perfect or folks won't know you tied it yourself. The best part about tying your own black tie is late in the evening when you can untie it, loosen your collar, and let the tails hang free like Sinatra near the end of a live show. All the dudes with clip-ons will shrink back in envy!
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm off to Toronto for two operas tomorrow, and I have with me two Thomas Pink bow ties. One is pink, and the other is dark blue with thin diagonal stripes in white and red. I'll wear them proudly in your honour!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I picked up the bow tie bug about a year ago. Like Wendell, weight loss helped spur me on to take the plunge. Amazing how being 100 lbs. lighter not only encourages one to take more interest in one's appearance but also gives one the confidence to try new looks.

Anyway, I have found The Cordial Churchman a delightful resource for those inclined to spend dollars with an independent producer. The Timothy tie was, appropriately, my Father's Day gift this year. There are other bow ties in my collection that cost more and are objectively "nicer," but that one is my favorite.

As for learning to tie one, I taught myself just as I did when I learned to tie a necktie: I found a good diagram with directional arrows and clearly-written instructions, and then I practiced. This time around, instead of using my dad's Cub Scout manual, I utilized an online resource that I can't locate right now.

I expect the next several ties I buy or am gifted will add to my ever-growing bow tie collection. Now if only I had a job for which I might wear them.

At any rate, back to my cave...
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

If you're looking for some fun and unique patterns, try http://www.peter-blair.com. I buy their regular neckties in the tall sizes. Great patterns and very well made. They're similar to Vineyard Vines, if you're familiar with that brand. Look for their sale items and Friday $10 specials. You won't find a better deal on quality neckwear.
Last edited by Kyle76 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Tim! Very nice to see you out and about :D

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Jim, those are some eye opening colours!!

clive
Dale

Post by Dale »

drmoss_ca wrote:I'm off to Toronto for two operas tomorrow, and I have with me two Thomas Pink bow ties. One is pink, and the other is dark blue with thin diagonal stripes in white and red. I'll wear them proudly in your honour!

Chris
Have a wonderful time, Chris. Hopefully you will take some pics and post them. )
Regards,
Dale
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

changabang wrote:You do not, Dr. Moss, look "dorky" in a bow tie. Now the other Chris, the one of "America's Test Kitchen" fame, he's a little dorky.

As an aside, you do not at all look as I imagined you would. Somehow I had this idea you would be a salt and pepper bearded version of your son.
It's always interesting to see what people look like after associating them with an online username. I can assure everyone I look exactly like Churchill, all the time. I don't leave the bedroom without a bowler and a cigar.
Regards,
Mike