The next 10 years begins now

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

The next 10 years begins now

Post by brothers »

After the last one arrives in a few days from that great magical storehouse in the North, I am now able to say honestly that I have finally stopped acquiring new soaps and creams, and all backups to the ones I've got. The task ahead is clear --- I've got to use it all up. I've got creams and soaps to last 10 years give or take.

I'll be going through each one until it's gone. The creams will take me about 4 years to use up, and the soaps about 6. This is what's left after I've cleared out a lot of stuff to I was never going to use to other a lot of you guys on the forums.

The creams won't last as long, individually, as the soaps. So I'm going to try to use up the creams faster than the soaps. I know some guys are doing the same thing already and it's no big deal. Those guys are my inspiration for this decision. Your jobs will be to keep me focused and on track with this. Other guys will think it's not any fun that way, and they'll be expecting me to fall off the wagon.

In the next few days I'll decide which one to start with.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Dale

Post by Dale »

I am trying to do the same thing, Gary. :) I have about 15 years worth of soaps and creams and am trying to use the creams up first. Today was a victory for me, though. I ordered a new boar brush and instead of maximizing the shipping by buying another cream or soap, I bought my wife a bath soap. She already likes using my creams, so I am hoping she does not acquire an AD. :)
Regards,
Dale
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Gary, I can believe that you have the willpower to not buy any more of the items you already have. But I find it hard to believe that you will not try some new product that many guys like!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I've slowed down considerably on acquisitions, so I tell myself in the hope that I can make it so.

I have purchased some more of a soap that I like that may increase a great deal in price, but other than that I'm really trying to make room in my cabinet. I wish I knew how you figured out how many years it was going to take for the attrition to have an effect. I look at what I have and it'll be a daunting undertaking to work them down. I figure if I buy nothing more I'll die before I use it all.

I did use up a tub of Vitos and it took months to do that, and frankly I don't know if I have it in me to stay with one product for months on end again, no matter how good it is. Maybe if I use a "block" of products it would work better.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Honestly, I think my creams and soaps will be around long after I'm gone.
JEFF
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Gary,

I too have stopped buying new soaps and creams. I told my wife and son the other day that I have enough soaps and creams to last for years; I recently tossed a Cella and Cyril Salter Rose because they were no longer usable.

As a matter of fact, I could live with only MWF and Tabac soaps. I leaned to creams and have four or five I wish I had not ordered. Not sure what to do with them...thinking of a PIF since I want to reduce inventory and keep things simple.

Hang in..it can be done. :D

Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

GA Russell wrote:Gary, I can believe that you have the willpower to not buy any more of the items you already have. But I find it hard to believe that you will not try some new product that many guys like!
In the past year I've finished 3 tubes and one tub of shaving creams, but I've never finished a puck of soap, that I can remember. Some of them are getting kind of worn down now though.
Last edited by brothers on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

P160 has been my one piece of software, but there's no future in a croap that's a ghost. And when my favorite NOS injector blades have dried up completely . . .

In one respect I have retired, and that's Brian's fault with his bay rum. Stay healthy, please.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ron, you might give the 3P 125g "sample" from Connaught a try. It's cheap and in my opinion, a very good soap.
Gary

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I know you've mentioned this before but will pay heed this time, Gary.
Ron
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Doing my best Ron!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Hi, Gary -- you poor fellow (literally, perhaps, and figuratively for sure) -- repeat after me.

"Hi, my name is Gary and I am a soap-cream-aholic.

Respose: Hi Gary."

Got the foremat down now?

Finally, sever all ties with Phil The Enabler. Eradicate him from your mind.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The first project will be a well-used puck of TabacMWF blended soap. It shouldn't take long to finish it off. After that, I think I should give myself a huge challenge by tackling a full tub of Castle Forbes. I think if I can get over that hump, I'll be feeling pretty confident about what amounts to a sea-change in my daily shaving habits. I'm not feeling guilty about bailing out of the buying binge. I've certainly done my share!
Gary

infotech

Post by infotech »

10 years?? That is very overwhelming and would likely take all of the fun out of shaving for me :lol:
James
brothers

Post by brothers »

Not to take this stuff too seriously, but it might be a new kind of fun to set them all up and knock them off one by one. Imagine lining up a row of cans and bottles on a fence.

Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

infotech wrote:10 years?? That is very overwhelming and would likely take all of the fun out of shaving for me :lol:
You make a compelling point. The truth in my case is that for the past months having all of this stuff and compulsively getting more (more than enough to last anyone a decade or more) was, as you say, overwhelming, and beginning to take not all, but much of, the fun out of shaving for me.
Gary

ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I dont think I have the willpower to knock each one out. I am not buying anymore but love the variety I have to choose from. When I travel I only take 1 product and just thinking about all the other choices that are still at home. My wife thinks I a weird;) I did use MdC for a solid month though. I just wanted to see how long a jar would last. I barely made a dent in it.
Shawn
harper

Post by harper »

Gary: I am 82 years old and, hell, I am cautious about buying green bananas and certainly not shaving stuff for 10 years. I have enough creams, etc. for about 6 - 8 months, enough blades for three - four years (using Iridiums up first --about 120 blades left, then Feathers) and I think that I am being wildly optimistic doing that ... notwithstanding that my health seems to be excellent.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Gary...you will probably live at least another 30 years. You better stock up. :D
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Exapno

Post by Exapno »

I'd hardly say I'm in the same boat but I have reached a similar conclusion. I have two full tubs of cream, two travel size and a couple of tubes and as I shave infrequently I probably have enough to last me at the very least a year, possibly two. There are quite a few creams and soaps I'd like to try or buy but I really should use up the stuff I've already got. I don't think newer formulation creams have the longevity of the older formulations so I'd better use them or lose them.

I still need to get a decent ASB though :D
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."