What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

Just finished Wheel of the Infinite by Martha Wells. Love how good she is at creating unique fantasy settings and fully rooting her characters in them.

Just started Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis Trilogy.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Finished "Counseling ...." last night. Very useful indeed.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

jww wrote:It's not about the politics at all to me, I find it interesting to read these former leader's memoirs which give some insight into why they do what they do.
Yes - I absolutely agree.
DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

I have been on a Robert Heinlein kick lately, reading and in some cases re-reading. Just started Job; a Comedy of Justice. I then want to read the original uncut Stranger in a Strange Land.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

$30 in an Amazon gift card so I went and read the samples on Kindle of the Pete Townsend and the Rod Stewart autobiographies. Bought the full copy of the Rod Stewart one to start this weekend.

Thomas Jefferson book sample was stilted and hard to keep track of every name and the interpersonal relationships

Feel free to recommend more history or biographical books. For short easy reads, I like John Grisham
Last edited by Sam on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I had started my traditional Christmas read -- Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher - one of my favourite books of all time --- I am only about 20% through, and committed to myself that I will never pick it up so late as to not finish it on Christmas Eve or thereabouts.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I got two new books for Christmas, The President's Club about the relationship of former US presidents and the long-awaited final installment of Manchester's Winston Churchill trilogy, The Last Lion, completed posthumously from Manchester's original research.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, it's interesting that you look forward to enjoying your favorite book regularly. I'm guessing that you are able to "reset" your internal focus back to center, by re-reading it and finding the anticipated degree of comfort and self-understanding it obviously brings you. How long have you been doing this?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Jim, I was going to sample the Churchill book. I did get a sample of the last installment of LBJ and really, I would have preferred to start with the first book and go forward. Is that the same with this Churchill trilogy?

How is that presidents book? I saw it on the KIndle top 25 at one time.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Just downloaded a copy of Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, which I'd read in hardback when it first came out. I've seen him a lot on TV lately, and it's a like-hate kinda thing. Really, his food-travel shows should be entitled "Liquor stocks across the world I've known and plundered."
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The best way to watch Mr. Bourdain's series is on netflix. No commercials and you can fast forward through the boring bits.
Regards,
Squire
changabang

Post by changabang »

"Mary's Mosaic", by Peter Janney
"The Secret Team", by L. Fletcher Prouty

After all these years, I'm still obsessed with the Kennedy assassination.
James Nicks
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I got Ten Gallon War by John Eisenberg for Christmas, and I am enjoying it.

It deals with the early days of the AFL when both leagues were fighting for dominance in the Dallas market.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Sam, I would recommend starting with the first Churchill book as there is great background about his early life and family, particularly his mother, who was hugely influential for her absence as well as her presence in his early life. There's also some very interesting information about the mores of the English gentry in the Victorian era. Suffice it to say that folks didn't necessarily stay in their own bedrooms on country weekends at places like Blenheim Palace, Churchill's ancestral home. As for the presidents' book, I've heard good things, but have not read any of it yet.
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sam, I dont think you need to read the books in any order...manchester is such a brilliant writer you wont notice where you are on the timeline haha

Also, the new addition to the lbj series is a good read

The best way to watch Mr. Bourdain's series is on netflix
cant find it on either netflix or amazon.....do you have a special member ship?? :lol:

clive

currently going through A child in time....ian mcEwan
de gustibus non est disputandum
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Yeah, Clive, they took the series off streaming. Netflix continues to go down the drain as content owners continue to up the price for their products.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

There's a ton of Bourdain episodes on YouTube from "Cook's Tour," "No Reservations," and now "The Layover." I strip out the sections I'm interested in using the Avidemux utility in Linux; don't know what Windows or Mac have that's similar. When I settle into my new pad I'll look into Netflix, etc. I've read his follow-on books but not his fiction work. In the long run he's a little too arch for me, trying too hard to be the rogue. I do like the way he demolishes shellfish towers.

Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Yeah, Clive, they took the series off streaming. Netflix continues to go down the drain as content owners continue to up the price for their products.
I hate to hear this. We use it frequently. We particularly like many of the British series. We currently have discovered Doc Martin.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Yeah, Clive, they took the series off streaming. Netflix continues to go down the drain as content owners continue to up the price for their products.
Canadian Netflix is just like US Netflix, only 1000% more disappointing. I continue to pay for it in the hopes that it slowly gets better, which it is, slowly.

It is good for documentaries however, and for kids tv shows, where kids can search by character for what they want to watch. There are a few good series available. It is basically somewhat good for anything but blockbuster movies. I can't begin to describe how bad most of the movies are on Canadian Netflix.
Richard
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

rustyblade wrote: It is good for documentaries however, and for kids tv shows, where kids can search by character for what they want to watch. There are a few good series available. It is basically somewhat good for anything but blockbuster movies. I can't begin to describe how bad most of the movies are on Canadian Netflix.
Richard, that's about the only reason we still have it. Our kids- 7 and 10- love watching the documentaries and cartoons. And there are some great adult docs as well, but the movie selection does truly stink.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy