Hats for the little guys

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
maskaggs

Hats for the little guys

Post by maskaggs »

Sadly, I can't count myself among the vertically gifted - I'm pretty short. Think Napolean.

With that in mind I'm in the market for a new hat. Since my head's completely shaved I try to keep it covered as much possible when outside - carrying sunblock around is a hassle and the extra greasiness causes skin problems in a few days. I usually wear a ball cap everywhere, but I'm getting tired of walking into the classroom in slacks and jacket with a Ping hat under my arm.

Can anyone recommend a reputable retailer (preferably available online) that sells quality hats that wouldn't look ridiculous on a short guy? I really like the look of Tilleys but I'm afraid the brims would end up being too wide.
Regards,
Mike
SRD

Post by SRD »

Get in touch with Art Fawcett at http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/. Tell him your concerns and desires. He is outstanding.
Dave
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I just bought a Bailey Barr hat in dark grey from delmonicohatters.com. on sale and with free shipping. Shoebuy.com has some hats too and runs codes. I like a 2 inch brim and am selling an Akubra Stylemaster size 57 (7 1/8th) in Acorn because the wider brim does not look good on me. I also have a Bailey Yates in black that tapers to 2 1/4 in the front. These are wool hats, no fur felt, but they ran like $70 or so and wow, they keep my head warm and people say I look good in them. I have a dressy fedora, Stetson Saxon in Caribou (medium grey) for suits.
ThePossum

Re: Hats for the little guys

Post by ThePossum »

maskaggs wrote:Sadly, I can't count myself among the vertically gifted - I'm pretty short. Think Napolean.

With that in mind I'm in the market for a new hat. Since my head's completely shaved I try to keep it covered as much possible when outside - carrying sunblock around is a hassle and the extra greasiness causes skin problems in a few days. I usually wear a ball cap everywhere, but I'm getting tired of walking into the classroom in slacks and jacket with a Ping hat under my arm.

Can anyone recommend a reputable retailer (preferably available online) that sells quality hats that wouldn't look ridiculous on a short guy? I really like the look of Tilleys but I'm afraid the brims would end up being too wide.
Mike,

I would not allow your height to steer you away from a Tilley Hat. In my opinion and that of several other posters here on SMF they are the best on the market.

Depends on what you want. If you are looking for an everyday hat it needs to be rugged. Tilley fits the bill. If your work is one that allows you to be dressed in casual or even business casual Tilley again has many hats to suit.

Note that Tilley has medium size brim hats as well as ones with a larger brim.

Now if you must have one for dress and wear it alot then maybe one of the other sites listed in the other replies to this thread is best for you.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

John Helmer in Portland, OR.
www.johnhelmer.com
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Mike, I would think that the size of your head would be more important than your height.

I suspect that a small hat on a large head would look odd regardless of the length of your torso and legs.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I'd go with a traditional english driving "flat" cap. They work pretty much with every build and head size/shape from my experience.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Thanks for the responses, gents. I'm fairly well sold on Tilley - their lifetime guarantee really draws me in. I've been checking out what they've got and the style selection is superb. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried out any of their hats with the hideaway ear warmers. I can see that being a great feature, but I can also see it not working very well.
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have a couple of Tilleys -- one is their TW2 winter hat in grey, and it's outstanding. I have worn it outside while delivering flyers in the coldest and windiest of Ottawa winters -- 40+ below 0 C (with the wind chill, that is) and it has never failed me. Drop down the forehead and earflaps and I am never ever cold. In fact, sometimes, I overheat and have to take up the earflaps. The forehead flap is simply genius.

I like the new softshell that sheds water well -- a good match for eastern slush-storms. I also am quite taken with the TTWC cap and the aviator hat -- love the mad bomber look. My wife doesn't like it, however so I'll keep on dreaming on that front. :wink:

You simply can't go wrong with Tilley. My original T4 came apart at the brim this past summer. I took it back to the store where I bought it, they exchanged it for a new one and asked if I wanted to keep the old one for sentimental reasons ..... apparently, that's the Alex Tilley way.
:D
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I would go with Wendell's first suggestion, the driving cap. I have several and prefer a Harris Tweed for Winter wear.
Regards,
Squire
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Wendell,

I saw Sir Alex at the Real Madrid - City match on TV today. Had to do a double take. He was wearing a really cool looking driver's hat himself. It was black and was more of what some on this forum would refer to as a "newsboy" hat.

I almost did not recognize him.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Re: Hats for the little guys

Post by L. Martino »

maskaggs wrote: Can anyone recommend a reputable retailer that sells quality hats that wouldn't look ridiculous on a short guy? I really like the look of Tilleys but I'm afraid the brims would end up being too wide.
Hi there,

This place has a LOT of hats, having visited the store a few times in the past. They also have some people who know their product and can certainly offer some tips if you give em a call. http://www.hats-plus.com/

Martin
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

JayTrek wrote:Wendell,

I saw Sir Alex at the Real Madrid - City match on TV today. Had to do a double take. He was wearing a really cool looking driver's hat himself. It was black and was more of what some on this forum would refer to as a "newsboy" hat.

Yes, I man possessing great fashion sense indeed - especially when on the pitch for games.

Wendell

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I am headed to buckaroo hatters in Covington to look at getting a custom fedora and maybe a custom straw hat and also whether to modify my panama bob straw hat and whether to sell or modify my stetson Saxon. Google his Website. He is an hour or so from my house.
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I especially like the fleece zip up and wool trench he wears in cold weather.

Wish I had that getup.
jww wrote:
JayTrek wrote:Wendell,

Yes, I man possessing great fashion sense indeed - especially when on the pitch for games.

Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

JayTrek wrote:I especially like the fleece zip up and wool trench he wears in cold weather.

Wish I had that getup.
I'd be happy to have his Hublot watch that he wears on game days. Not sure what he wears the rest of the time, but ya gotta keep the sponsors happy.
Wendell

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Great suggestions all around. It's looking like Tilley will be getting some of my money soon.

On to a related question. I've been eyeing some LL Bean and Duluth clothing lately but I'm a little concerned about sizing there, too. Does anyone recommend clothing retailers of high quality, reasonable price, and good size flexibility?
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Mike -- you mention LL Bean and I would recommend none else. The sizes are very true - when they say it's a generous fit, it is. And when they say it's a slim fit --- it is. With their return policy you can't go wrong.

What are you thinking of???? My fleece-line flannel and scotch plaid flannel shirts are absolute winners, as is my chamois cloth shirt.

Then there's my devotion to the River Driver Shirts -- but, well, you know how it is with the Woolfat Evangelist --- you can add to the moniker LL Bean Apologist. :wink:
Wendell

ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I second Wendell's thoughts about the Tilley T2 Winter Hat. I have one and love the ear warmers and also the forehead warmer.

I got mine almost 2 yrs ago and the first day I wore it the temp was like 10 F. Believe it or not, my head broke out into a sweat.

Good luck with your hard decision about what style Tilley to get.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I just added to my humble winter hat stash --- and bought a Mad Bomber in red supplex nylon. My wife thinks it looks ridiculous but I know how warm I am gonna be during the cold blowing winter days ... 8)

I wore a muskrat and leather karvalakki when I lived in Finland 30+ years ago, and it kept me from getting frostbite both winters while I was there. The Mad Bomber is the closest thing I have ever seen in north america come even come close to my beloved karvalakki.
Wendell