The Best Shave I Ever Had

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
HBK42581

The Best Shave I Ever Had

Post by HBK42581 »

I don't think I've ever told this story here before. I've had irritation from shaving for as long as I can remember. It is what led me here. I still suffer from it and it has gotten to the point where most of the time I just use some electric trimmers to get it as short as possible to where I can rock a Crockett stubble look (at least that's what I THINK it looks like.) But the best shave that I ever had was when I was vacationing at Sebago Lake in Maine with my friend and his family back in 2000/2001. I used a Mach 3 and some Gillette Sensitive shave gel. I think it was a cold water shave. I got no irritation. None right after and none the next day when the stubble started to grow back in (which is where I usually run into problems.) I've tried to replicate it since then and have had little to no luck. Someday, I hope to be able to achieve it again.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

A Maineiac here... I'm guessing it was also soft water.

Have you tried using distilled water?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

That's the ONE thing I haven't tried yet.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

gsgo

Post by gsgo »

+ Soft Water

Probably not given enough credit in adding to nice results.
Good shaving,

Gary
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I honestly can't understand why you are having so many problems.

If you are consistent with the basic technique, you use the the same combination razor, blade, and shaving cream/soap, there should not be problems.

I'm perplexed. If you prep correctly, use a quality soap/cream and razor/blade, and your technique is good, I do not understand why you are having problems.

There seems to be something that needs adjustment.

You need to experiment with all of the various methods of wet shaving.

I wish you luck.

Keep us in the loop.

v/r
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I've heard of men susceptible to razor bumps and ingrowns having reduced problems with cold water shaves because the cold water can reduce inflammation.

I should probably try it myself, as I have very "sensitive" (more accurately "delicate") skin on my neck and I always get some irritation from dragging a blade over it.

- Murray
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I know it is heresy but I have had the least razor burn with those vibrating Fusions. The head lays flat on my skin and if I don't go wild with pressure and use the techniques I learned trying to use a Feather blade In a Merkur Futur I get reasonably close with no burn. Also, I prefer a Neutrogena brushless shave cream I get at Walmart. It is cold-cream based (mineral oil I think) and much less irritating than soaps. Just rinse off and no aftershave needed.
Ouchmychin (Pete)