Little Fish in a Can

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Little Fish in a Can

Post by rustyblade »

I do enjoy sardines and I'm looking to branch out a little and try some different brands. The widely available brands where I am are Brunswick, a Canadian brand. I'm not really a fan of their sardines, but the herring filets in a can are pretty good. My favourite are the hot sauce flavoured variety, eaten right out of the can. When it comes to sardines, I like John West in Tomato sauce (Scottish Sild). These I like to mash up on buttered toast, warmed up a little under the grill, or in the microwave.

I've read good things about Angelo Parodi sardines from Portugal, and Les Mouttes d'Arvour from France, but they look to be difficult to find.

Any recommendations?
Richard
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

Last spring I was in Monterey, CA, and had some sardines fresh from the bay. They were pricey and touristy, but I enjoyed the freshness of the grilled sardines.

I am a fan of sardines in mustard sauce these days.

jt
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I haven't bought the tiny sardines for quite awhile, but I like them.

What I have been buying are "sardine fillets" from larger sardines, or maybe they'd be considered small herring in some places. The 2 brands I know of are Bar Harbor brand and Looks Atlantic Premium. There are a few flavors, Cabernet sauce, stone ground mustard, and black peppercorn, and another that I can't remember. The flavor is nothing like the tiny sardines. Altogether different, milder, sweet (not in a sugary sense), more subtle, and absolutely delicious. The tins are also larger than the typical tiny sardines, 6 ozs.

These are eaten, at least by me, right out of the tin, but I don't know why they wouldn't make a good sandwich.

You might be thinking they're like a kipper. But no, the flavor is nothing like a kipper, and the fillet is smaller.

If you can't find them and want some, let me know. What I'm eating now go for $1.79/tin and of course there would be shipping. Or maybe you can google them to find a local supplier. It would be worth the search IMO.

Edit: fixed the wine sauce
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Here is a link that might be helpful: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/301739

I also enjoy eating sardines, especially in a good quality olive oil.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I love King Oscar, Mediterranean style. While I've never heated sardines, I've read that they're delicious and very different heated in a frying pan.
Jim
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Like Chris I usually get mine packed in olive oil and the Norwegian packed King Oscar are my brand. Love the little buggers straight from the can or on toast or Ryvita.
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Here is a link that might be helpful: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/301739

I also enjoy eating sardines, especially in a good quality olive oil.
Very informative thread, thanks. It seems hard, even in a multi-cultural place like Toronto (area) to find good canned sardines. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spots. It's time like this I miss Big Ren, he is an expert on all things food in Toronto.
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

bernards66 wrote:Like Chris I usually get mine packed in olive oil and the Norwegian packed King Oscar are my brand. Love the little buggers straight from the can or on toast or Ryvita.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, I suspected that you may be a Sardine aficionado, as you generally have good taste (except for not agreeing that Italian shave soaps are better, be we all have our faults).
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Found these little guys at an Italian grocery store. Haven't tried them yet though.
Richard
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

What a shame that taste test/review didn't try the brands I suggested. I would have liked to see how they handled them since they are so different.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

rustyblade wrote:Image
Just ate these guys for lunch. Nice mild spiciness, packed in olive oil, no hot peppers present. Clean taste, nice firm texture, medium sized fish. Not fishy at all, flavour overall was quite mild. The package I had was product of Spain, not Portugal.

Would eat again.
Richard
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I particularly enjoy Brisling sardines packed in olive oil. These are wee little chaps with a pleasant delicate taste on their own, but you can spice them up any way you want. I buy the Clover Leaf brand ones at my neighbourhood Metro. Interestingly, the tin I have in front of me says "Product of Poland".
Bryan
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

And, like Gordon, I too am a big fan of King Oscar. Readily available, good quality and not expensive.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah, life's simple pleasures.
Regards,
Squire