Vulfix or Kent

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
harper

Vulfix or Kent

Post by harper »

My Vulfix 2235 is getting a bit long in the tooth (as am I) and I have been fiddling around with the idea of buying a new brush. I will order the brush without actually feeling it so I am concerned with whether the Kent BK4 is as soft and pliable as the 2235. I like brushes of this size and I prefer soft brushes to stiff ones so if the BK4 is comparable in softeness to the 2235 I will order one. If it is not I will get another 2235.

Any thoughts by those of you who know about brushes?
druphus

Post by druphus »

I have both and think that they are basically the same softness, equally floppy if you will. The handle of the 2235 is considerably larger.
Regards,
Andy
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Harper, it wouldn't be hard to find a silvertip brush with soft tips, but not many brushes are as pliable as the Vulfix. The BK4 isn't, either. Most other brushes are stiffer and denser, largely to meet the needs of face-latherers.

As a bowl-latherer, I like brushes like the Vulfix. Albeit a bit denser, the closest brushes I know to your ideal would be the Semogue silvertip brushes in standard density, available in a choice of 3 handles (for different prices): The 2015 in Portuguese oak, the 730 with a short acrylic handle, and the 2040 with the tall acrylic handle. I have all three and these are my favorite brushes of all. I might note that these are all decidedly fan-shaped, which is another requirement of mine.

The safest, surest bet would be another Vulfix, as you have developed your lathering technique with those specific performance characteristics. Any other brush would require some adjustments to your technique, which may or may not be worth your effort.

I hope you find a brush that thrills you, Harper -

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

my vote is on the bk4. if you dont like it, s$t the thing......ive never seen a bk4 sit for long

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
druphus

Post by druphus »

Here are the two brushes side-by-side

Here they are resting on the bristles.

So they are both stout enough to stand on their own!
Regards,
Andy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Love the pics. The last one almost has a look of Ansel Adams treatment :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I've never owned a Vulfix, other than the Simfix Churn model, but I do have the BK4 and love it very much. It's an all around brush that works great for soaps and creams, and for the price, you can't go wrong.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Harper, I think that you would be happy with a Kent BK brush. They are very gentle on the face and are quite pliable but are more densely packed than the Vulfix 3000 series models. Tell you what, if you get a BK4 and really don't like it I will buy it from you at a fair price....okay?
Regards,
Gordon
harper

Post by harper »

Gordon, damn but you are persuasive and that is an offer I probably can't refuse. I suspect I will buy the BK4 because I have had a hankering for one for some time and your willingness to buy it if I don't llike it has just about pushed me over the line. I will keep you posted.

With all good wishes,

Bob
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

harper wrote:... I suspect I will buy the BK4 because I have had a hankering for one for some time ...
Alas, with the postings of this thread, I have pangs as well for a BK4 again.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Harper I believe you will be satisfied with the BK4, I recommend it highly.

Go ahead and get it Wendell, you won't be happy until you do.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Harper, I was going to offer to loan you my BK4 to try out, but I think you've already made your decision. I doubt that you'll want to sell it after you get it. Wendell, if you should want to try mine out before you buy one, just send me your address.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, Very good then! I doubt that I'll have to make good on my promise, but check it out and let us know.
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Kent BK brushes are the only brush I've ever owned that consistently do not shed. I've had 3 BK4s and 1 BK8 and the quality has been great on all of them.
Richard
harper

Post by harper »

Thanks to all for your inputs. I have ordered the BK4 and it should be here by the end of the week. As soon as I have used it a few times I will give you my report. Gordon, don't go to the bank yet because I suspect I will truly enjoy the brush. However, I will give you ample warning if I need to take you up on your offer.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

used it a few times I will give you my report
looking forward to read your opinion.

clive

p.s. use in good health

pps I had a shedding kent. it was even christened 'the sheddah' but even so, several smf members have had the honour(?) of using it and all liked it despite its shedding issues. Richard brings up a noteworthy point which is that not many kents shed, or if they do, owners are very hush hush about it
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:...

Go ahead and get it Wendell, you won't be happy until you do.
I know, I know...... #-o
Wendell

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

fallingwickets wrote:

clive

p.s. use in good health

pps I had a shedding kent. it was even christened 'the sheddah' but even so, several smf members have had the honour(?) of using it and all liked it despite its shedding issues. Richard brings up a noteworthy point which is that not many kents shed, or if they do, owners are very hush hush about it
There was the famous shedder (I forget the model) in a size 12. It wasn't a BK and was in best badger. Kent were flogging them in ebay, but they were defective.
Richard
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

rustyblade wrote:
fallingwickets wrote:

clive

p.s. use in good health

There was the famous shedder (I forget the model) in a size 12. It wasn't a BK and was in best badger. Kent were flogging them in ebay, but they were defective.

I remember those. Weren't they with a tortoise type handle?
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, Yes, they were their 'T' model brushes, not the BKs as Richard said. I loved the overall design and 'look' of the Kent 'T' series but they were in a lower grade of badger that tended to be somewhat 'scritchy'.
Regards,
Gordon