Boots

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
maskaggs

Boots

Post by maskaggs »

A longish explanation leading to an ultimate question:

I've got foot problems that prevent me from wearing just any shoe. More specifically, my heel / lower ankle is what hurts; consultation with an orthopedic surgeon and other doctors reveals some general Achilles issues, but nothing that demands surgery unless I want to be in a cast for several months (I don't.).

I'm generally fine while wearing athletic shoes so these end up being my go-to footwear. I keep a pair of dress shoes in my grad office at the library so I can change into them for on-campus duties and then change back into comfortable shoes when I'm doing work that doesn't require me to be around students, professors, etc. My current athletic shoes are a pair of Asics that are on their last legs. They're wonderfully comfortable.

Now, however, I'd like to start looking at options for boots that I could wear in a variety of settings - something that would look decent in jeans or even khakis (bear in mind that since I work in an academic / humanities setting, I can get away with a lot more, fashionwise, than men in other industries).

I'm confident there are some out there that are just as comfortable as athletic shoes but I haven't the faintest clue where to begin. These boots from Duluth Trading Company look fairly nice:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens ... 39022.aspx

If I'm able to track down something that's really comfortable, either on their own or with insole inserts, my only real requirements would be A) ability to wear them in a variety of settings and B) they come with a lifetime guarantee. I wouldn't want to go much beyond the $200-$225 range - I know that limits me quite a bit, but that's the state of the wallet right now.

Suggestions, gents?
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Dr. Martens? Love their Chelsea Boot -- although I admit to wishing it was called Manchester United Boot --- how 'bout that late game derby winner yesterday?????

Ahem --- sorry got a bit carried away with that win.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Mike,

Consider these:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/men ... 9443-0-666

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/men ... 8554-0-513

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/men ... 9663-0-395

I have a pair of an earlier model of Patagonia shoe and love it (more of a chukka style).
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Those are all nice boots from Pantagonia to be sure.
Wendell

marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i strongly suggest

danner boots, usa made. quality quailty quality,, fit is amazing confort is unbelievble, hand made and they last a life time becuase what ever you wear out they can be re-built

i have a brown and a black pair for years

marc
SRD

Post by SRD »

Given some of the listed conditions that the OP stated I recommend http://www.russellmoccasin.com/ without hesitation. The fit will be dead on. As described on the site extensive measuremts are made and all foot shapes and peculiarities can be accomodated. I have been using this company for over 20 years and I am a very enthusiastic and happy customer.

Read the OP again. This might be a bit more than you want to spend.
Dave
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Dave, thanks for the link. I just got off the phone with a guy at Russell and may order a pair of the chukkas for casual wear. I have a size 15 foot and a problem with swollen ankles, so I've been thinking about some low boots. These look like a real bargain for a custom fit.
Jim
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Thanks for all these helpful comments - Dave, the Russell boots look wonderful. As you say, though, those may be a bit out of range for me. But I'm glad someone else was able to get some use out of your link!

Maybe another question would help - any recommendations of what to avoid in this process?
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I picked up a pair of suede LL Bean ranger mocs at their North Conway outlet back in the spring for $25 ..... can't beat the price, and they are fabulous to wear.

Then I got me some Thinsulate & Goe-Tex lined Bean boots this past November when we were in Maine again .... beyond fabulous.

Have I said how much of a LLBean fan-boy I am before???? :shock: :wink:
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Clarks make a nice selection of boots, but I particularly like their Original Desert Boot. They are very versatile and look good with jeans, chinos and casual trousers. They come in variety of colours and leather-types, including suede, smooth leather, nubuck, corduroy, canvas and beeswax leather.
Bryan
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

jww wrote:Dr. Martens? Love their Chelsea Boot -- although I admit to wishing it was called Manchester United Boot --- how 'bout that late game derby winner yesterday?????

Ahem --- sorry got a bit carried away with that win.
=D> =D> =D> =D>
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gents --- today's LLBean deal of the day for Dec 14, 2012.

Funny -- when I grabbed my 8" Gore-Tex/Thinsulate lined pair in the fall of this year, I got the same deal at the outlet on a brand new pair (they apparently had overstock and needed to make room in the warehouse -- not sure what for though).
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

The LL Beans don't come in my size. I ordered a pair of these. We'll see.

Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Jim -- how big or small are your feet???
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:Gents --- today's LLBean deal of the day for Dec 14, 2012.

Funny -- when I grabbed my 8" Gore-Tex/Thinsulate lined pair in the fall of this year, I got the same deal at the outlet on a brand new pair (they apparently had overstock and needed to make room in the warehouse -- not sure what for though).
Wendell, how warm are these boots? I've been thinking about buying a pair, but don't think they'd be warm enough here, let alone Ottawa, in the middle of winter.
Bryan
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

jww wrote:Jim -- how big or small are your feet???
Size 15
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:
Size 15
:shock:
Wendell

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:

Wendell, how warm are these boots? I've been thinking about buying a pair, but don't think they'd be warm enough here, let alone Ottawa, in the middle of winter.
The Gore-Tex/Thinsulate ones I have are very warm, but not stifling hot as you might imagine for rubber bottoms.

You can also buy the boots unlined and purchase the liners separately -it's the exact same result.
Wendell

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Kyle76 wrote:
Size 15
Those are not feet. Those are BOATS. I bet you have a hard time finding good shoes to fit, eh?
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

jww wrote:
Rufus wrote:

The Gore-Tex/Thinsulate ones I have are very warm, but not stifling hot as you might imagine for rubber bottoms.

You can also buy the boots unlined and purchase the liners separately -it's the exact same result.
I can second that thought. I own a pair of the 8" GoreTex Thinsulates that I have owned for almost a decade. I think I have had the bottoms replaced once. Great pair of boots...and yes...more than adequately warm.

Heh...obviously you can't see them. But I was wearing them when this profile pic was taken.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...