What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I've been reading Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. My sister accidentally gifted me another copy of it along with his Pillars of the Earth. I'm sure part of a BN gift card I got will go towards his Winter of the World, which follows Fall of Giants in the Century Trilogy.
Regards,
Mike
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Working on 3, just started, 'The Untold History of the United States' and reading again 'The Godwulf Manuscript' (read this so many times its like an old friend) and finally reading when I can, 'Gourmet Shaving'.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

sorry for being so off topic, but for documentary fans with netflix, Senna is a must watch

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

latest date bought me aaron james 'assholes' Im hoping it isnt a hint haha

clive
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Today I started The Wrecking Crew by Kent Hartman, about the rock 'n' roll studio musicians who were on a great many hits in the 60s.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The Wrecking Crew
looks like a good read,,,thanks

clive
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Clive, I found it interesting because they were on the songs that were hits when I was in high school. I don't think the book would appeal to those who don't have an opinion about the music.

Today I started The Rebel League by Ed Willes, about the World Hockey Association. I was a charter season ticket holder of the New England Whalers in Boston back in '72. The tickets were my college graduation present!
Fitness
Lijun badger
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Amazon has a new program called AutoRip: If you buy from them a CD (or have bought one in the past since 1998), they will give you a free mp3 of the same album.

Imagine what that would do for Kindle sales if they offered the same program for books!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 9412.story
Fitness
Lijun badger
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Imagine what that would do for Kindle sales if they offered the same program for books!
from your mouth to the ears of the book gods :lol: :lol:

clive

p.s. started my first graphic book: Pyongyang
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I think the idea of free epub files works better for books than free MP3 files would for CDs.

Not to diminish the topic too much, but haven't most of us been ripping our own CDs on iTunes, etc, for years now? Not sure what the benefit is, and it probably wouldn't sway me to buy from Amazon unless the total end price was better then from other sources.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
changabang

Post by changabang »

"James Jesus Angleton: The CIA & The Craft Of Counterintelligence",
by Michael Holzman
James Nicks
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

GA Russell wrote:Amazon has a new program called AutoRip: If you buy from them a CD (or have bought one in the past since 1998), they will give you a free mp3 of the same album.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 9412.story
I realize now that I should have posted this in the eBook readers thread, not here. Sorry!
Fitness
Lijun badger
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Albeit somewhat late, I was able last week to finish my annual seasonal read of Winter Solstice, as I was spending some time on planes and in airports.

Late Saturday evening while thinking about what to read next, I remembered that I had a Kobo gift certificate from a year ago still hanging around so went shopping, and discovered that the final volume of William Manchester's Last Lion trilogy biography of Winston Churchill -- Defender of the Realm was published in the latter half of last year. He chose a friend and colleague, Paul Reid to finish this monumental work just prior to his somewhat untimely death.

From the first 50 pages or so of introduction and preface, it looks to be an outstanding read, and I am anxious to be sinking my teeth into it more fully.

Churchill is one of those bigger-than-life personalities to me -- and his place in history is certainly secured. His indomitable spirit in guiding Britain and much of the free world through WWII is simply amazing to me.
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

William Manchester's Last Lion trilogy
ditto on the sentiments etc....I got mine last week via kindle and am in awe. I bought my dad the hard copy and boy was he surprised and elated to have vol (3?) in his hands

clive
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Barnes & Noble had this book for half price after Christmas. I could not resist.
http://www.amazon.com/Military-History- ... ry+history
Military History: The Definitive Visual Guide to the Objects of Warfare

Ed
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

The Presidents' Club about how former US presidents assist -- and sometimes hinder -- the sitting president. It starts with Herbert Hoover helping Harry Truman fight famine in postwar Europe. Interesting, so far.
Jim
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Jim, how was that Presidents book?

Anyone wanna start a book swap thread? I have a ton of books sitting around, and wife wants the library cleaned out. John Grisham, biographies, things like Howard Stern, Bill O'Reilly. I like biographies and histories and that book on the CIA. Postal rates for books and media is pretty low, 4 books might be 7 bucks to ship.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

jww wrote:Counseling with Your Counsels by M. Russell Ballard as well as Weakness is Not Sin by Wendy Ulrich. Rarely do I read two books in parallel other than my daily personal reading of scriptures, but both of these interested me greatly in connection with my church responsibilities.
Tell me more about these Wendell. I need to get back to reading some spiritual material. Last good one I read was a guy named Chan, and then another one about why some things with Church are they way that they are, like robes, order of service, etc. Name of the book was Pagan Christianity
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam wrote:
jww wrote:Counseling with Your Counsels by M. Russell Ballard as well as Weakness is Not Sin by Wendy Ulrich. Rarely do I read two books in parallel other than my daily personal reading of scriptures, but both of these interested me greatly in connection with my church responsibilities.
Tell me more about these Wendell. I need to get back to reading some spiritual material. Last good one I read was a guy named Chan, and then another one about why some things with Church are they way that they are, like robes, order of service, etc. Name of the book was Pagan Christianity
Will send you a pm with details.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Sam wrote:Jim, how was that Presidents book?

Anyone wanna start a book swap thread? I have a ton of books sitting around, and wife wants the library cleaned out. John Grisham, biographies, things like Howard Stern, Bill O'Reilly. I like biographies and histories and that book on the CIA. Postal rates for books and media is pretty low, 4 books might be 7 bucks to ship.
Good so far, Sam. I'm up to Kennedy. Been kind of slack in my reading lately. Very interesting stuff about how the presidents felt about each other -- and how those opinions evolved over the years.
Jim