Battle of the Bulge

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Spenser

Battle of the Bulge

Post by Spenser »

Anyone other than me going on a diet this new year? How about this being a check point to see how we are doing with our goals. Ideas welcome.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
Gene

Post by Gene »

For us, diet (wife more than me), and back to some kind of exercise regimen. I am partial to Primal living, will be looking at something along those lines again:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-b ... z2GrCoXF40
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

My wife and I have been on Weight Watchers since the end of August. I have lost 40 pounds so far. Another 20 and I will be at my goal weight. Hit a plateau over the holidays, so just ramped up the exercise component.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

As some of you recall, last January, my wife, our daughter and myself changed out eating patterns drastically using Michael Moreno's 17 Day Diet plan. I lost close to 50, my wife more than 50 and my daughter. That was almost a year ago to the day now. Over December I loosened up and went from 175 to 180 --- but still am well within healthy weight for my age and height. We won't be "changing" anything, just not eating holiday food any more, since it's no longer in the house. It's the only eating plan that I felt I could stick with -- but more importantly, because we did it together, there was a camaraderie that helped us get through the first difficult 2 weeks.

I am planning to get some cross-country ski gear in the next couple of weeks as since I stopped running and downhill skiing have not been active in the winter months. Walking is what I like the best --- and we are pretty good with that when the weather isn't wintry.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

Cardio 30 minutes..75lb machined weights..no diet for me!...smart eating..brown rice/couscous/quinua...grilled or marinated protein..salad with few drops of dressing..done..1 piece of fruit afterwards...done!
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

With my type 2 diabetes, I need to get serious with my diet. I am not but maybe 10-15 lbs. over optimum. However this is about control of blood pressure and blood sugar. And that is how I will have to measure success.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

Today, for the first time in many years, when I stepped on the scale, the first number was a "1" instead of a "2".
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

JayTrek wrote:With my type 2 diabetes, I need to get serious with my diet. I am not but maybe 10-15 lbs. over optimum. However this is about control of blood pressure and blood sugar. And that is how I will have to measure success.
Jason, I'm type 2 also. It makes it more difficult -- and important -- to control our weight. I do pretty well, but I need to lose about 8-10 lbs of holiday excess.
Jim
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Sounds like I'm not alone, borderline diabetes and high blood pressure for sure. Exercise a problem now with nasty cold weather and 4" snow on ground for 3 weeks which unusual, usually snow gone in a couple of days. Have been getting a workout removing snow and ice. Have lost 5 lbs in 5 days, by the end of year won't weigh anything at all. :wink:
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

For those with Type 2...what approach do you take to managing the diet? This week I am focusing on cutting out sodas and sugar based drinks.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Hey JT

I'm borderline, but my doctor told me to STOP with the sugar. If you start reading labels, it really hard to do. Sugar is killing us slowly. I don't remember the figures but it is amazing how much sugar the average American eats in a year. And if you want a double header, cut out white flour products (that would be all the good things - bread, pancakes, potatoes, and on and on).

Ever notice how fat people drink diet pop, that was me, diet pop all the time. I am attempting to STOP with the diet, or any sodas.

I would say a step at a time, but not sure I have that much time. :wink:
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

This may be neither here nor there for my diabetic brethren but I though I'd throw my experience in the ring. A few months ago I spent some time on the Insulin Resistant Diet (I'm not diabetic but IRD is healthy on its own). I felt great within a week and dropped about 15 pounds in a month or two when combined with 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise.
Regards,
Mike
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I've never heard of that Mike. I will look it up. Thanks.

Is this a great place or what.

(BTW Mike, are you a ND football fan, how do you feel about Monday night vs Alabama)
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Spenser wrote:I've never heard of that Mike. I will look it up. Thanks.

Is this a great place or what.

(BTW Mike, are you a ND football fan, how do you feel about Monday night vs Alabama)
Very much so. Some of my colleagues had season tickets and saw all the home victories of the undefeated season; my wife and I went to the BYU game. GA Russell and I have a gentleman's agreement to neither gloat nor pout excessively after my Irish play his Tide. I'll be cheering for ND Monday night, but for me just seeing them there after a 12-0 season is a major treat.
Regards,
Mike
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Okay Mike, been looking for a reason to root for the Irish. I will be front and center Monday night, GO IRISH.

Kinda always rooted for them anyway, but now I've got a reason. Gonna be a tough game, Roll Tide is a very good team and the 'Golden Domers' seem to always have been an underdog in my mind, maybe they can catch that brass ring and be #1. I'm getting tired of hearing about how great Alabama is.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Off topic but will root for alabama because I have seen Barrett Jones grow up from a little boy. He knows I am a big Miami Dolphins fan and told his mom that I would babysit him his first year there , lol. Great young man. Finished college in three years with a 4.0 and graduated last month with his masters. Went on missions trips and does not drink alcohol. I Root for him but it is great to see the Irish back contending.
Last edited by Sam on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

A Salute to the Alabama team, they played a tremendous game and deserved every bit of that win. Saw several interviews w/ Barrett Jones before and after the game and he does indeed sound like a fine young man.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The nice thing about last night's game - is that regardless of whether you thought it was a case of Notre Dame not showing up or 'Bama not being able to do anything wrong, was the fact that there were not a lot of penalties -- in a game where there certainly could have been plenty.

Back to weight loss -- the only reliable way for me to have lost and maintain weight loss is to have the entire house on the same eating regimen -- it's simply too difficult for the vast majority of people to go it alone.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

jww wrote: Back to weight loss -- the only reliable way for me to have lost and maintain weight loss is to have the entire house on the same eating regimen -- it's simply too difficult for the vast majority of people to go it alone.
Amen to that! If my wife and I weren't doing this together, neither one of us would stand a chance.
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Spencer,

I certainly understand what you are working toward. Some would argue that the aspartame that is used to sweeten diet sodas is worse for you than sugar. But we really need to run from the high fructose corn syrup.

I am starting to dabble in internet searches for healthy type 2 diets. I am looking for resources for instruction and recipes.

Hang in there. We can pull for each other to do well with the effort.

On the other topic...really proud of Alabama last night. Their preparation and performance was certainly superior. The only thing we lost last night was the coin toss.

That being said, Notre Dame's players and coaches demonstrated class as they always do. I have come to expect nothing less from that great program. Brain Kelly has the Irish moving in the right direction. This incoming recruiting class will be a very good one for them. Once they recover from losing 29 seniors this season...look for the progress to continue towards restoring Notre Dame to their prominent place in football.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...