tube Vs. Pot

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

tube Vs. Pot

Post by fallingwickets »

is there any advantage to buying creams in a tube other than for the space saving they offer?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, I may be mistaken, but I think the size of the tubes are small enough, in most cases, to be allowed by the TSA. This is a good question. Maybe those who've experienced this scrutiny can verify this. I prefer pots for non-travel reasons, because you get more for your money.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I use creams so rarely that tubes work best for me. And yes, so long as they are under 100ml sizes, they are TSA and CBSA approved.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Clive, a question from the old days indeed. I prefer the pots/tubs for home use. One can gauge the consistency of the cream and, of course, more bang for the buck. The only tubes I use these days are the Trumper metal ones. The cream appears to last forever, travel well, and the consistency never changes. I have not had that experience with the plastic tubes some firms are throwing out there as of late.

Max
druphus

Post by druphus »

vtmax wrote:...The only tubes I use these days are the Trumper metal ones....I have not had that experience with the plastic tubes some firms are throwing out there as of late.

Max
Good for you Max!

I wish I had some of the old stuff. Unfortunately, both GFT and Harris have gone exclusively to the plastic tubes, which allow the cream to go bad very quickly because it is exposed to the air trapped in the tube!
Regards,
Andy
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I know tube creams hold their scent seemingly forever w/o change, do tub creams do the same? I don't know, I'm asking the question.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

To turn the question around, I know some guys like to load the brush directly in the pot. I can't bring myself to do this as I don't want to add any water into the container, but apparently it works for some.
Regards,
Mike
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

And to turn the question back to: "don't tell me!"

So now Trumper has gone ALL plastic for their full range of creams!? I need more cream like another barking dog in my neighborhood ,but.....

I can't keep-up with this anymore...after the past 4-5 years!

geez!
druphus

Post by druphus »

F.W. Fitch wrote:And to turn the question back to: "don't tell me!"

So now Trumper has gone ALL plastic for their full range of creams!? I need more cream like another barking dog in my neighborhood ,but.....

I can't keep-up with this anymore...after the past 4-5 years!

geez!
Yes, Sir! Since at least the end of 2008.
Regards,
Andy
druphus

Post by druphus »

ShadowsDad wrote:I know tube creams hold their scent seemingly forever w/o change, do tub creams do the same? I don't know, I'm asking the question.
In my experience, tubs hold scent every bit as well as tubes.
Last edited by druphus on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Andy
druphus

Post by druphus »

maskaggs wrote:To turn the question around, I know some guys like to load the brush directly in the pot. I can't bring myself to do this as I don't want to add any water into the container, but apparently it works for some.
With potted creams:
  • I wet a brush, shake it out completely, and swirl it once in the cream pot. (There is not enough water on the brush at this point to be anything more than a cream-magnet).

I then take the cream ladden brush to the lathering bowl immediately after dumping all the scalding hot water it has filled with out of my stoppered sink.

I then build a lather in the lathering bowl by occasionally splashing more hot water from the sink with the tips of the fingers from my free hand into the bowl, being carefull not to over-water the lather.
In my experience - living in a desert - I need to rehydrate many of my old ceams (i.e. Coates, et. al.) with a cap-full of distilled water every 6 months or so, to keep them from drying out. If the cream does not stick the the wetted "brush-magnet" its too dry.
Regards,
Andy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Plastic tubes -- blasphemy, I tell you!

The Body Shop no longer sells their Macca Root Shaving Cream in a tub either -- only the tube version available now.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

druphus wrote:
maskaggs wrote:To turn the question around, I know some guys like to load the brush directly in the pot. I can't bring myself to do this as I don't want to add any water into the container, but apparently it works for some.
With potted creams:
  • I wet a brush, shake it out completely, and swirl it once in the cream pot. (There is not enough water on the brush at this point to be anything more than a cream-magnet).

I then take the cream ladden brush to the lathering bowl immediately after dumping all the scalding hot water it has filled with out of my stoppered sink.

I then build a lather in the lathering bowl by occasionally splashing more hot water from the sink with the tips of the fingers from my free hand into the bowl, being carefull not to over-water the lather.
In my experience - living in a desert - I need to rehydrate many of my old ceams (i.e. Coates, et. al.) with a cap-full of distilled water every 6 months or so, to keep them from drying out. If the cream does not stick the the wetted "brush-magnet" its too dry.
Interesting. I may need to give this a shot. Do you think it would work well with a relatively hard cream, like Castle Forbes?
Regards,
Mike
druphus

Post by druphus »

maskaggs wrote:
druphus wrote:
With potted creams:

Interesting. I may need to give this a shot. Do you think it would work well with a relatively hard cream, like Castle Forbes?
Well, with soaps, I take a much wetter brush to the soap and work in on the soap for "a long time".

With soft Italian soaps, a wet brush is about all you need, and with a dry cream it should be about the same.

With hard-soaps I will circle the soap cake for a full minute (one-thousand-one, etc - to one-thousand sixty.) Every 15 second or so, I will do the hot water from the finger-tips to the soap cake.

Once you have a nice roux you take it to the hot-moist lathering bowl, or to a wet-face splashed with hot water.
Regards,
Andy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andy, Are you sure? All the standard scents of Trumpers I saw in a local shop a couple months back were all metal ( I bought a tube of Sandalwood ). The cologne scented creams they had, GFT and Spanish Leather were in plastic but not the others. True, D R Harris's went to all plastic a few years back but I'm not so sure about Trumpers. I certainly hope not because I buy only their tubes these days solely because of the metal packaging.

Regarding the original question, well, soft creams in pots dehydrates over time whilst in the tubes it seems to hold up indefinately. Another thing I kind of like about the tubes is that it's easier to eyeball a more exact amount into the lathering bowl. With the Trumpers I'm very familiar with the cream so I know exactly what length of line of cream I have to squeeze out to get the lather I want. Scooping a glob out of a pot with my finger is less precise. But, of course the pots are more economical and sometimes it seems to me that the potted creams are a little more concentrated....at least sometimes. I always use the tubes when traveling even if I'm going by car.
Regards,
Gordon
druphus

Post by druphus »

Looks like you are correct on the Sandalwood Gordon. :oops:
Ditto on the Almond, Coconut, Limes, Rose and Violet (it was TOBS who went with that nasty Plastic). I "gave up" after Spanish Leather came out in plastic.

Good to know. I hate plastic tubes, and Proraso tubes are too large for travel.
Regards,
Andy
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Tubes allow less air to be in contact with the cream which may prolong the scent or life of the cream.
Ron
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

maskaggs wrote:
druphus wrote:
With potted creams:

Yes, extremely well.

Edit: I should add, for face or bowl lathering.
Last edited by Thalay Sagar on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brothers

Post by brothers »

I use this technique to load my brush on the CF cream. Tried it dry, it didn't pick up much if any cream. Moist brush picks up the cream. It takes me a day or two to learn how much is just the right amount. This works.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andy, Well thank goodness I was right on this one....at least for now...sigh. And, now you have a good option for travel. While occasionally I will take something else, for the most part it has been Trumper tubes when traveling for many years now.
Regards,
Gordon