Cobra Classic vs. Muhle R41 Toothcomb

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

I've had the Cobra for about 6 weeks and I think it is a great shaver. I alternate with My Vision.

This morning after using the Cobra I noticed the letters GALCO (i think) Does anyone know who GALCO is? I no there is a GALCO that makes holsters.

I read somewhere that the razor was made for Classic, should'nt the name be Classic? I'm confused
brothers

Post by brothers »

Looking at my other razors, I don't think any of them actually carry the specific name of the razor, or the number. They might say Gillette, Galco, Schick, or Merkur, but (I might be mistaken?) nothing about Slim, Futur, 159, R41, 37C, 34C, Slant, Aristocrat, Ranger, Tech, etc.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

I've also wondered about the letters on the bottom of the handle. I'd like to know if anyone has learned what they represent.

I've been using a Cobra now for a while. I'm in the middle of my third blade (using Feather Pros). Blade #1 gave me 14 shave and could have gone longer. Blade #2 went 19 shaves. I was hoping to get to 20 but #19 let me know not to push it without the 19th shave being bad either. I've had 6 shaves now on blade 3. That's 39 shaves that easily beat out all of my other razors. Is it such a difference to warrant the cost increase, no I don't think so. My Schick E2 with a Chinese Schick blade does a close job as does my EverReady Streamline & GEM OCMM. No other safety razor that I've used should even be mentioned in the same breath. The '11 R41 should be melted down & recast as a Cobra. That's the only chance a current R41 has of touching my face again.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
brothers

Post by brothers »

SharpSpine wrote: No other safety razor that I've used should even be mentioned in the same breath. The '11 R41 should be melted down & recast as a Cobra. That's the only chance a current R41 has of touching my face again.
Hahaha! I agree. I thought I could get used to the Muhle, because it did cut close, but in the end, even though the Muhle Grande is a handsome and hefty razor, the harshness is a trait I con do without. I'm keeping the Muhle, but not as a regular user. I've got the Cobra and a couple of others that get the job done.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444