ATG revisited

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

ATG revisited

Post by bernards66 »

Umm...yes....well, I know...I am well known here for NOT shaving against the grain of the beard and often advise newcomers to trad. shaving not to. Of course, there have always been experianced wetshavers here that do and who never had any problem with it but for me, and many others, it seemed like a bad idea. And I have always maintained that it is possible to get a VERY close shave without doing so....and it is. But, partially out of probable boredom as well as noticing that there were stubborn patches in the middle of both my cheeks recently, I decided to give it yet another try. So, for the last three days, instead of my usual cutting pattern, I have used a WTG, XTG, and ATG series of passes. And?....well, I did get a slightly closer shave in that problem area; enough of a difference for my wife to notice and comment ( keep in mind that she is a very observant person ). And so far I have 'gotten away with it', no obvious irritation etc. But I've been at this wetshaving game a long time and I can feel the beginnings of a difference in how my skin feels, and just the first hint of redness on my left cheek so I think it's time for me to quit. Interesting though. I think I will save this extra close cut for 'special occasions' and not push my luck.
Regards,
Gordon
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Seems good choice.

I always go WTG, XTG and then just I some small spots ATG. Is more like 2.25 pass :D As I have same problem as you.

My wife is same as yours, very observant and strict quality controller. Every time after my shave she checks for any hair and comment. Sha hates any hair of face. If I will keep hair I am not allowed to kiss her. Thats why I always go for that ATG quarter pass. 8)
Jack
SRD

Post by SRD »

I guess I am one of the "lucky' ones. My routine is always WTG, XTG, ATG and then polish as necessary. It's the only routine that has ever given me satisfactory results. Fortunately I do not have sensitive skin and have never experienced irritation problems.
Dave
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I think i could go atg if i wanted to without much of an issue, but I dont think that the benefit is worth the effort. I'm a one pass'er....two passes and im beyond smooth :lol: :lol: maybe thats what you need to do Gordon....one pass, and then when you do two the wifeee will be beyond impressed!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ghart

Post by ghart »

Yes a touch of ATG is essential for me too, though under the angle of the jaw, in the direction of the chin. That's after a full attempt at with, and then largely across the grain. But of course I'm limited in which directions I can use, being a straight razor man!

George
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I, too, do a bit of ATG in my final pass. My first pass is WTG, while for the second I employ the Slide (one of the few- likely only- useful bits of shaving advice from Richard the Lionhearted). However, I still have a few stubborn patches on the cheeks and underside of the chin, so I very gently buff the areas ATG. My skin requires that I use very light pressure in order to avoid any irritation. I should also note that my blade of choice (the Dorco 301) is not known as a ninja blade. While a sharper blade has helped me avoid the final pass, my experience has been that I end up with other issues from the sharper blade.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Ever since I started shaving I've always done ATG. If I don't, one hour later I will already have a 'shadow'. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Long before the shaving forums, when I shaved with a Krona, Wilkinson blades, and a can of Barbasol every day of my life I went ATG as a matter of habit. Because it works. :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

ATG is important pass to me and has always been

if one gets or feel irrtation from ATG pass all thats is needed to do is slightly
go off the angle so its not a 100% into the ATG. like 95% into the grain as a example

helps a lot and still gets great results

marc
druphus

Post by druphus »

My beard grows pretty much "straight out".
I always do three (3) passes:
  • Down (WTG),
    Up (ATG), and
    Sideways (XTG, except for on my neck which is always up after the 1st pass).
Regards,
Andy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, I always shave upwards on my neck for the third pass but because of how my beard grows this is mainly an XTG cut. It is only right under my jaw that it becomes a true ATG stroke, and I also quickly and lightly 'blade buff' that specific area. But full ATG upward strokes on my cheeks are not something I can get away with for any length of time. Irritation invariably starts to set in after a bit, and since the difference in closeness in minimal, it's not worth it. But at least now I'm certain that I can safely 'get away with it' once in awhile, for a night out or whatever. From my very limited experiance I think I could do an ATG cut every day with a cutthroat razor but that's not my chosen tool. With the very sharp and thin DE blades it's just too much for my skin.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

There's the patch of skin between lower lip and chin cleft that remains rough unless I go ATG. I don't like doing so because of the subsequent irritation, but I've learned to minimize that with my injector technique and the smooth-as-silk NOS Schick blades. As it turns out, with the ProGlide I can just shave away.
Ron
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Nice to be normal. Think I have experienced parts of all the post on this thread in my short experience. I am beginning to feel a little irritation in the areas where I go ATG and contributed it to changing from the Merkur blades that came w/ razor to Feather. At this point I do not like the Feather blades but guess won't know for sure until trying another blade.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I am like Bruno in terms of progression. If I did not shave against the grain, I might as well not shave. In a few small spots...typically on my neck and chin...2 ATG passes are required for satisfactory results.

Fortunately, I experience very little if any irritation and on occasion a weeper that takes only minutes to manage.

I also rarely if ever use aftershave.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
druphus

Post by druphus »

Spenser wrote:Nice to be normal. Think I have experienced parts of all the post on this thread in my short experience. I am beginning to feel a little irritation in the areas where I go ATG and contributed it to changing from the Merkur blades that came w/ razor to Feather. At this point I do not like the Feather blades but guess won't know for sure until trying another blade.
Spenser, I sent you a PM.
Regards,
Andy
Nate

Post by Nate »

Spenser, sounds like you should try Crystals (Israeli Personna, or Blue and White wrapper Personnas; these are all the same).

Gordon, I am with you, usually saving the third ATG passes for special occasions or if I am really enjoying a shave and want to keep it going (the first time I used the Dovo "creams" comes to mind).

I can get a perfectly good shave with 2 passes, WTG and then XTG, so thats all I feel the need to do... you know unless for one of the reasons above.
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

I'm still new, but I've settled into a routine similar to celar36. Mostly WTG, then XTG, and finish up with a little ATG where needed.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

WTG, then XTG, and finish up with ATG allowing my "fingers to do the walking" with a light touch on the razor...
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I'd be overjoyed if I got decent results going solely WTG. If I try XTG, I end up looking like a character out of Sweeney Todd. The ATG pass has to be very careful indeed, and I still end up with some redness.
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

All depends on my shave frequency --- when I give it a miss for a day or two, I always do all three directions, and when I shave daily I am fine with a two-pass shave, xtg and atg. But only does this work when I make myself patiently focus on pressure and blade angle.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?