A Change

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
celar36

A Change

Post by celar36 »

Hi Guys,

After long debate my wife and me made(almost) decision to move to Beijing, China.
My wife is Chinese so for her it is not a problem but for me will be challenging as you can imagine:)

I speak Polish, English and Slovak Languages fluently, furthermore, I have basic knowledge of Russian, German and Czech but this is completely different language. This will require from me attending university for while in Beijing to study chinese.

We do own savings in Chinese bank also my wife inherited 2 bedroom apartment there so at least this is easier.

What is worrying me is that complete different culture and small but still important thing, lack of shaving supplies(London is 20 min away from me, now). I know there is T&H shop there but rest I need to import ehhh.

My hope is one day to move to Canada( I love this Country) as I am fan of bit spaces full of nature. Forest, mountains and cold snowy winters. Hope in few years she will agree with me on that but for now we are needed in China sadly. Our decision almost is made to move by end of 2014 if everything does well.

Though I will share this with you as it is a big change for me.

Jack
Jack
SRD

Post by SRD »

Best wishes to you Jack.
Dave
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Thanks for sharing Blade Runner. Life has its moments of trials, keep the faith Jack.

Sounds to me like you are a Mans Man, a true Gentleman.

I think someday, you will find it worth it all. My thoughts are with you.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Wow! That sure would be a huge change. But it can be dealt with. Humans are quite resilient.

Good luck!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Good luck with the change, Jack. You are most welcome to Canada any time -- we have tons and tons of room for folks. Seriously -- you ever seen the prairie provinces???? :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

Best of luck on your new adventure.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I hope it works out to where you're both happy.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Moves are always hard, and I wish you the best with this one. It does sound like you're trying to approach it with an open mind, which is really good.
_______
John
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Hao Yun!
Rob
brothers

Post by brothers »

It sounds like an adventure! Life is full of them, isn't it? If you already own property there, it's probably a great advantage, particularly if your wife is Chinese and you will be able to get along quite well in their social structure. Will you personally find it easy to obtain work in your chosen vocation? I wish you all the best Jack. The end of 2014 is quite a long way off. For now, just enjoy what you have and what you are doing, including posting here at SMF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Sounds like a grand adventure. Enjoy it and good luck!
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
celar36

Post by celar36 »

China is lovely place. People are kind. I really much enjoy their food and how they spent free time.

I know I can handle there as always there are pros and cons. We will see how it goes. I think we can move between end of this year and end of next year. We will see.

One is for sure. Wherever I am I will keep posting here.

Thank you all for kind words.
Jack
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Jack, go for it; I doubt that you'll regret going, but I'm sure that in later life you would regret it if you didn't go. With a Chinese wife and a flat there, you are in great shape. I envy you. As for Canada, we will welcome you and your wife with open arms. "Carpe diem".
Bryan