trumpers violet

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

trumpers violet

Post by fallingwickets »

I treated myself to a tub if violet cream. I'm not a cream guy ergo the nuance between this and say t&h (which I like a lot) is lost on me, but boy oh boy is there something magnificent and glorious about the scent.

one other positive about this cream is that the scent seems to have staying power; all the better to garner kisses!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
druphus

Post by druphus »

One of the best creams available in my opinion. Used to be my exclusive Monday shave. The only downside is it will stain a brush, which is why I always use the Vulfix 2235 super.
Regards,
Andy
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I felt the same way Clive when I first tried it some years back. I was told that the scent had changed a bit, but to me it was still a very nice cream. Mine happened to be in one of the metal tubes which made it all that much better. Enjoy it!
--Greg
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Clive, a very nice treat for yourself! One of my all time favorite creams.

I always start a tub and finish it and have always had the luck where my brushes would come clean with the next tub I chose to use after the GFT, seemed to wash the stain away.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
druphus

Post by druphus »

Whistler wrote:... and have always had the luck where my brushes would come clean with the next tub I chose to use after the GFT, seemed to wash the stain away.
Agreed. If I ever get tired of a pinkish 2235, a shave or two with Proraso Green bleaches it back to neutral.
Regards,
Andy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

FWIW, in my experiance, brushes that have been discolored by heavily colored creams, like Trumpers Violet, have never come clean no matter what I did. I do think that one's water is a significent factor in this phenomenon as there are those who have used such creams for years and never had any brush discoloration problems.

The scent of the Trumpers Violet cream definately changed several years ago. Mr. Bargepole opined that it was probably a result of the EU 'Scent Police'...that is they had to alter some scenting ingrediant in order not to 'get in trouble' with those clowns. Whatever the reason, there was a change. Violet used to be this incredibly rich and kind of decadent scent, and IMO it's still pretty nice but not what it was. Gents who had been using this cream regularly for years were the hardest hit. Some of those, like the aforementioned Mr. Bargepole, just could NOT abide the new version; they were so heartbroken and bitter. Those of us, like me, who only used it occasionally were less intensely affected. I haven't had any around in awhile but I'm not adverse to procurring some again at some point.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

At one point, I tried vainly to overcome an aversion to the sweet and decidely floral scent of the GFT Violet in both soap and cream, but was unsuccessful. To my sense of smell, the cloying effect was too great. The GFT Rose, though it's similar, doesn't turn me away. I do wish I could have had an opportunity to experience the older version.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Count me in as one who can not abide the change to Violet's scent and no longer use it
changabang

Post by changabang »

Like Brothers, I would love to have tangoed with the older version. As it is, the present GFT Violet in the tube is one of my favorite creams. Because it is so good, I am tempted to try the Spanish Leather version.
James Nicks
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

you guys make me want to try violet again. i had it in a tube but was not impressed. didn't seem to be too pungent so i sold it off. i am happy with trumper's sandalwood.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

James, I like their Spanish Leather shave cream. Trumpers Spanish Leather is one of my two favourite colognes but I was sceptical regarding the cream in that I've hardly ever liked cologne scented shave creams, even ones where I liked the cologne that they were matched with. But the SL surprised me. The scent of the cream is close to that of the cologne ( which I've been told is not as easy to do as one might think ) and it was not overpowering. Oh, and in addition, the cream worked well.

Ah yes...Sam....another of those serious fans of the older version of Violet who was unable to embrace the current scent. And, having used it, I understand. I was just less annoyed because Violet was not one of my regular 'go-to' shave creams. If it had of been, knowing me, I'd probably have been right there with him and Bargepole.
Regards,
Gordon
changabang

Post by changabang »

Thanks,
Gordon.
At this point, GFT Spanish Leather cream just vaulted to first in my "want list".
James Nicks
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Got to try spanish leather although I'm not a cologne scent cream aficianado. Closest that I liked was 1805
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Yes...the older Violet was much darker in appearance ,and the scent, very pungent & rich! I still have a couple of the tallow soap refills and 5 of the 'wide cap' tubes from Pasteur's. I'm fairly hopeful those will contain the decadent dessert!

Best, Fitch
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

'pon my word!....that Fitch fellow is back! Yes, I suspect that if those tubes have the old wider caps they very well may contain the good ole stuff. Since those older style tubes were not sealed one sniff should tell you what you've got, no?
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Fitch's stash of the good stuff would be worth the price of admission just to get to see, hold, and enjoy the sights and fragrances. Nah, not really, I couldn't just do that, I'd want to take it home and use it sparingly with great pleasure.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Fitch, in Missouri, eh? Someone find out when he works, and I'll make the drive up. Lucky fellow if it is the old stuff, treasure it
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Yes Gordon, I'm back or always peering from my vantage! Although on some cold winter nights, I wish I was in Tampa/St.Pete! Well guys...I waded through the toilet locker today for the Violet soft cream. I must confess something now however; not that we have any obsessive, unorthodox behaviors around here, but I'm always hesitant to open-up a product and expose it to air! I have this 'phobia' that once I do that the expiration time clock is set into motion *sigh.* Gordon are you sensing any telltale signs of er...any issues? Why did they have to put that idiotic (12M) symbol on tins of talc and so on!? It freezes me right in my tracks at certain moments! Just ignore it?...oh alright!

Now then. I unscrewed one of those cold-to-the-touch metal tubes and squeezed a bit of the product up. First sensory reaction...uh huh! It's the fragrance of old 9 Curzon that seduced many a gent. in the century last! So, I did the only logical thing at that point and lathered it up! I wish I could've then, walked round to the old American embassy grounds in London, and inquired if I could have a job washing windows or something. After they told me to <get lost> in my fantasy... I then thought, "what the hell" and splashed a bit of 'Milk of Flowers' after shave on!

There was a thread about regretting items that you've sold off, so I'll take this moment for a bit of a personal Trumper lament.

I sold one *full* pot of the old Violet soft cream + one tallow refill that I do regret at times. I wanted to buy other rare stuff, which I in fact did, but...

It went to a good guy here so all is well. I sold one bottle of sealed-in-the-box "Iced" that I kinda think about at weird times...say 4:39 am in my dark bedroom and such! That's entirely normal right Gordon? Then, and this is going to hurt mentioning; I sold three 100 ml glass bottles of Trumper "Fougena".......OK, ALRIGHT!!!?? THERE! I SAID IT! Ahem.

These revelations do cause angst, but I'm still covered in those areas. Picking back up on the Violet cream...I always was concerned about the colorant causing brush staining, and health implications and so on. I did mention I ponder about things? Especially if there is a (12M) thingy that triggers the brainstorming? I do sort of wish I had tried the old Trumper Rose soft cream ,of which, I never had a chance. I chose the Violet as my poison and well...

Have a pleasant weekend all,
Fitch
druphus

Post by druphus »

Thankfully, this Forum remains a place of profound sanity in an otherwise chaotic world :lol:
Regards,
Andy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Fitch,
Andy is very kind but yes, you do indeed have 'issues', and the fact that you sold ANY Fougena only confirms it ( and not even one to ME, for God's sake!...ahem....pardon ). An obsessive hoarder who then gloats over his beguiling stash in front of poor unfortunates on SMF....'issues' indeed! Eh?.....okay...very well....I'm just envious....fine....I admit it....sigh ( I still think Sam has the right idea regarding taking a little drive in a northwestery direction ). But I must ask; how DID the Milk of Flowers get along with the C-M Tricorn?
Regards,
Gordon