Time to shave?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Time to shave?

Post by brothers »

Vince wrote: I'm curious, how long does it take you to fully complete your shaving ritual? I'm talkin about everything from pre-shave, lathering, shaving, post-shave. Currently I am averaging about 20 minutes though sometimes I take 30. This is all a huge increase from my quick 7 minute routine when I used that cheap gel in a can junk.

I now have to wake up earlier to be on time for work but it's worth it and a good incentive to get my lazy butt out of bed LOL!

Vince

Guys, you know I respect our founder, Vince. In case he happens to read us once in a while I rib him a bit. But I recently found this thread he started, and in Vince's name I hereby re-launch it eight years later. How long does it take us to fully complete a typical shave?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I'm going to have to put a watch to it, certainly longer than in the past. My shaving time also includes shower, wouldn't dream of shaving without shower. Funny the habits we get into. My guess 30-40 minutes. My wife has taken to looking at me funny and remarking that it takes me longer to get ready than her.

UPDATE ***** Its taking me 25-30 minutes ******
Last edited by Spenser on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
brothers

Post by brothers »

My wife has slowed down a little on the kidding, but she used to tell people that now it takes me an hour. I know better, it only takes me about 20 to 25 minutes, if I have to guess. I'll pay attention for the next few days.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I timed mine maybe 1 1/2 years ago. At that time, just for the lathering and shave it was 13 minutes for my 2 1/3 pass shave. That didn't include the time I spent deciding what to use and the cleanup and putting away.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

This is a great question.

I am on about the same track with you, Gary,...round 25 minutes.

Like Spenser, my routine includes the shower. My beard is relatively tough...so I really cannot short cut on beard prep. If I am off of work, I slow the process down, and take a little more time to savor the experience.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I shave at night so that I can take my time and enjoy it.

Since I shower in the morning, I need to do separate beard prep before the shave, and I wash and soak my beard good. Between the prep, carefully making the lather in a bowl, shaving, and cleaning up, I can take close to an hour.

If I were shaving in the morning before work, it would be different.

- Murray
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

this is a easy one ...i get up at 4 am and i out of the bathroom between 4:25 to 4:30 am ...thats shower and a shave, of course teeth and you know..

marc

tip for ya

while the shower is getting hot, i set up the sink to shave, and get my lather ready brush my teeth. saves a lot of time
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

I'm guessing between 20 and 25 minutes for me.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Fishin Phil wrote:I'm guessing ...
Well -- to be honest, I don't really pay much attention to it, but my guess would be in the same range as above -- depends on whether I do a 2 pass or 3 pass shave.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Mine is maybe 12 min certainly less than 15. The whole shower and shave is about 25 mins, which means i spend too much time under shower listening to my morning portable radio etc. relaxing and away from the cold world andc realities I have to face.
Jarmo
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

About 20 minutes for me, give or take 2 or 3 minutes.

I am in no rush.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

jww wrote:
Fishin Phil wrote:I'm guessing ...
Well -- to be honest, I don't really pay much attention to it, but my guess would be in the same range as above -- depends on whether I do a 2 pass or 3 pass shave.
Same for me....I have never timed a shave. I either use a hard soap and warm the lather with a brush scuttle or use a cream with a regular scuttle to warm the lather. Prep and warm-up are about the same. However, the important point is that I never rush a shave...each one is a nice, pleasurable experience.

Ed
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

It used to be 10 minutes -- five for shaving and five for stopping the bleeding. That was before I found this place. Now it takes longer but the water runs clear.
Ron
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Ron brilliant!

My own routine resembles Murray's to a tee. But I must ask: I thought you only shaved your upper-cheeks and neck area? That much care, time etc. for that partial shave zone?

Best, Fitch
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nicely put Ron! About 15 min. including clean-up and putting things away.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

F.W. Fitch wrote:Ron brilliant!

My own routine resembles Murray's to a tee. But I must ask: I thought you only shaved your upper-cheeks and neck area? That much care, time etc. for that partial shave zone?

Best, Fitch
That's true, Fitch. I just shave my neck (down from 3 1/2 to 2 1/2 passes) and I trim the cheeks the next morning after the shower with water and no lather. I've introduced a lot of steps into the ritual. (Actually, I think it takes a little less time since I cut out one of the passes.)

As I mentioned above, if I had to shave in the morning before work, I would streamline the process significantly.

- Murray
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

15-20 minutes.

If in a hurry I just use the Proraso brushless, with Hydro cartridge, then about 3 minutes, but try to avoid that scenario.
Rob
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

LookingGlass wrote:

Same for me....I have never timed a shave. Ed
Same here. It's kind of like BBQ... it's done when it is done.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I thilnk of it as quality time. When I'm in the zone and focusing on it, time stands still, but there aren't many wasted motions, no daydreaming, just zip bam boom and its over. What I might miss today, I'll probably get it tomorrow.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

start to finish 20:09:48

:D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum