YET another question, this time handles

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Spenser

YET another question, this time handles

Post by Spenser »

On the 3-piece Merkur razor are the handles interchangable.
druphus

Post by druphus »

On the 3-piece - Yes, all handles and heads are interchangable, and also with other brands that use the Merkur heads like Edwin Jagger etc. Others will probably chime in with a better explanation and indication of interchangable brands.
Regards,
Andy
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I've found that the handles of most three piece makers are indeed interchangeable. For instance: Muhle, Merkur, Ikon, and Gillette.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Gene

Post by Gene »

Nitrox wrote:I've found that the handles of most three piece makers are indeed interchangeable. For instance: Muhle, Merkur, Ikon, and Gillette.
Key word...most. I think there might be some where the threads are different, but I can't quite remember which ones. Isn't there a Merkur that had a different thread? Metric not SAE, or the other way 'round?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Not every Gillette handle will fit every head on their NEW model from the early 1930's. The threads match, but there is variation in the amount of space on the head where the top of the handle fits. Some handles are too wide at the top for some heads. I think there are two sizes.

I don't know if there are any other possible mismatches with Gillette.

Outside of that, there's an excellent chance a random handle will fit a random head. I don't know if there are any metric threads. Almost all threads are the same as the first Gillette's.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Spenser, I have the answer to your question, and was able to locate the following email I received a year or so ago. I was trying to use the Muhle head on a handle Bob Smith, the late proprietor of Bob's Razor Works, had made. He told me exactly what to buy and what to do with it. It solved the problem, and I think it cost me less than about $5 to buy this particular tool. As he states in the following email, it takes less time to use the tool on any given handle, than it does to type the email. Edit: just in case there are some folks who don't understand, you need to go to the hardware store and tell them you want to buy a "M 5 x 0.8 metric tap". Then you buy it, take it home and very carefully run the tap down into the offending non-metric threaded handle, and your heads fit your handle, or vice versa.

Here's what Bob said:
Cooncat Bob wrote:Gary:
That must be an older Bull Mastiff handle, I use the slightly larger metric threads on all my handles now.
The M5 X 0.8 metric is about .020 of an inch bigger then the #10-32 but has the same threads per inch.
All you need to do is run the metric tap down the spindle hole being careful to keep the tap straight.
It take less time to do it then it does to type it out.
Bob.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

You know I think I have that tap, have a large set, haven't used in long time, finding it in garage will be the hard part, probably easier to go buy one. I can see it now, in a yellow case. Thanks.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks for that Gary.

I've found that the metric handles fit any Gillette thread I can put them to. Sloppy, but they fit. If we required a lot of torque they wouldn't work, but as little as we need they do. Having written that, I try to keep metric handles with metric heads. Having the mismatch offends only my sensibilities. My sensibilitites tell me that it isn't "right" but it absolutely does work. Just don't let "Armstrong" tighten it down. That's what scares me about the mismatch.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I agree Brian. Mismatch makes me nervous on any project, usually I'm just a heartbeat away from paying for my shortcut.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My perception of the modification is not a mismatch, it's a problem solved.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

:D :lol: