gillette silver blue blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
marsos52

gillette silver blue blades

Post by marsos52 »

i have been gifted 10 of these blades.

used first one today, doesnt seem bad, but for me i need to see how they do after few shaves and if the blades run true thru the box

if anyone have used the silver blues please chime in with your feelings and comments

thanks
marc
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I'm pretty sure you are not going to like 'em and should sell them to me :wink: seriously if you find you don't like them let me know. Have wanted to try them for a long time, may just look at them and sing the jingle - that's another story.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
sunflake

Post by sunflake »

They are a great blade. I heard they were discontinued if true that is a very sad thing.
My name is Patrick and I'm Proraso addict and love it!
changabang

Post by changabang »

Lucky you! Yes, they are a good blade, and hard to come by. I've only had a few of those blades, but I never had a bad shave with one. If I could find some more of those "bleues", I'd buy them.
James Nicks
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i dont know if these gillettes have been discontinued or not,

ive used two or three blades and yes there very nice to shave with.

the feel of the shave is very much like using a vintage gillette from the 70's or 80's.

each shave was close and smooth with out any ill effects, the shaves lasted me in the 8 hour area before i felt regrowth. thats ok but with my main goto blades and get 2 to 4 hours longer before starting to feel regrowth

i didnt use the blades past 4 shaves so i cant say how long they totally last

but these days, a blade that gives me 4 shaves is ok in my book

marc
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

If these are the same Silver Blues that I was using 5 years ago when I was just dipping my toe then they are very good blades.

They went 'bye byes' for a while and I assumed they had been discontinued. This was about the same time supplies of Swedes, Polsilver and Nacet blades dried up.

I could very easily get a good week of shaves from a Silver Blue ... without even pushing it.
changabang

Post by changabang »

I see that they're still available at Razor Blades & More.
James Nicks
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

This looks like a good deal, if this blade is as good as some say:
http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Double-Raz ... roduct_top
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Ron
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Support your "local" vendor. Especially this one.
17 thumbs up to that idea

clive

p.s. i tried those blue blades a few years ago but didnt think they were that good vs. the reputation anyhow......for all intent and purpose they might be excellent blades

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
BPman

Re: gillette silver blue blades

Post by BPman »

I recently traded some Gillette Silver Blue blades to Pausted here on the forum as I had 200 in storage and only sporadically used one nowadays. However, his interest reignited mine as well and after "revisiting" this blade on a more serious level after a two year or so hiatus I am glad I did. You'd be hard pressed to find a better blade for the money as it has a damn near perfect balance of sharpness & smoothness. Of course, as I have mentioned before it is purely subjective as to which modern Gillette blade is the best for your face as they are all so close in overall quality. One need try a blade or two of all their makes to decide which is best for them.
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I have used these blades, and IMO they are absolutely excellent. I have a heavy and thick set of whiskers, and this blades takes "em out. Works as well for me as the Personna Med Preps. Bought 100 GSBs a few months ago at a great online price, and am looking forward to using them again. I just have a few odd tucks to use up first. If it were me, I would go for it.
thw

Post by thw »

I recently received a sampler pack of seven different blades. I had been using derby extra's in a new Merkur Progress, and the blade was for me too dull. With the Progress set at 1.5, the first blade of the sampler I tried was the Silver Blue. The result was the smoothest and closest shave I can recall. Impressed, I did some research and learned the Silver Blue is considered a very sharp blade. I had no clue, though my skin is tough with mild whiskers, I think. With the Progress set at 2, I continued to shave with the same Silver Blue blade for eight 2-pass shaves. It was still giving a superb shave when I moved on to try a green Gillette 7 o'clock blade. These are also very good blades, but I think the Silver Blue is just a tad better. YMMV, of course.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good post thw, welcome to the Board.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to our little community, thw!

I'll echo Squire to congratulate you on a good first post.

- Murray
thw

Post by thw »

After trying a Silver Blue with a Progress, I went on to try the 7 'clock green, Gillette Platinum and Astra SP blades. I found the GP too dull for me (nearly as dull as the Derby), and it was discarded after two shaves. The 7 o'clock green and the Astra SP were both tried for four two-pass shaves, and I'd give the edge to the 7 o'clock blades (it was close to a tie with the SB). I then switched to a new Merkur 42C and new Silver Blue blade, and the result was a virtual bbs shave. So I ordered 50 Silver Blue blades and will stick with them for now, having gotten smooth and close shaves using them with two different razors so far. I've found I get very good results with a mild razor (or with the Progress set at 1-1.5) and a sharp blade. I used Prorasso soap (green) during the trial.