If I found the shaving product I've always been looking for

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.

Would you tell anybody if you found THE one you've always been searching for?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 34

brothers

If I found the shaving product I've always been looking for

Post by brothers »

I wouldn't tell a soul until I had sufficient quantities on hand to last far beyond my expectancy, then I'd share the good news. Would you?
Last edited by brothers on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Sure. I'd buy a couple for myself, and then post here about it.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

...I wouldn't realize I'd found it until I'd sold it, bought it again, traded it for something else, panicked because it was discontinued/reformulated/bought out by another manufacturer, bought a higher-dollar NOS version of it, regretted the purchase, tried to sell it, failed, put it in my closet, and pulled it out two years later only to find it was really, really good, and that I'd spent thousands of dollars on other crap in the interim only to be disappointed again and again.

Then I'd just use it.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tim, I know exactly what you are talking about, my friend. Only too well. . . :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I just voted 'no' and it seems I'm the only one so far. I know I hoard things that will no longer be available, but I wouldn't stop others buying (and often give away my hoard anyway since my tastes change), but those 'yes' votes rather lessen my faith in human nature.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Chris, read the poll question again. A yes vote means you'd share it with others.

Yes, I know it was presented one way in the post and another way in the poll. But IMO the poll question is the question to answer.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sorry, for the error. I also voted yes, because I would tell others after I made sure I'd bought a few for myself! Maybe I can figure out how to edit the confusion. I see now why a lot of guys hate polls. If this still seems misleading, please let me know. :lol:
Gary

LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

I would most definitely tell/share.....thought this was the main purpose of SMF.....to share our shaving experiences, products, etc. Hypothetically speaking, if I got the last one (shave cream for example), I would share it with a buddy if they really wanted some. Life is too short to do otherwise.

Take care,
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think what we usually see is an excited pronouncement that the search for the best in the world has been successful, after one shave or test lather, usually coming off a long period of using something less exciting. Some of us have naively taken that to heart and bought something, only to be disappointed once again. As Ed has wisely stated, that's sort of what we're here for. We're helping each other search and sort them out.
Gary

Gene

Post by Gene »

Not much of a hoarder, so I would share.

Most likely.

I remember when Zach teased us with a few post of his mystery blade...he called it The "X" blade, or blade X. He went for several days tormenting us with tales of perfect shaves, and longevity unheard of.

But, in the end he actually broke from his vow of silence and told us it was the Tungsten Personna blade...and after that they became stainless steel...gold...
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
dosco

Post by dosco »

I'd certainly share; but IME most of my friends appear hesitant to use DE blades, real soap, etc.

Sort of (sort of) like an addict ... they don't want help until they decide they want help.
levente

Post by levente »

Gents,

Of course I'd tell people. Just not you guys.

Regards,
Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

:lol: Basil, I hear you! Long time no see here!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Results: 91% say Yes, they'll tell others about their favorite(s). Here are two of mine ---

PannaCrema. I've already told you about this one. Photos are posted here.

L'Ancienne Menthe shaving soap. Can't get enough of the plain and simple minty feel and fragrance. Contains donkey's milk. Lathers like nobody's business. Suits me! They also offer this soap in conventional round refill pucks, and in more than one fragrance. Additionally, they sell shaving cream. The only other product of theirs I've tried is bath soap, a sample of which they included with my shaving soap sticks.

Last edited by brothers on Fri May 10, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

TRBeck wrote:...I wouldn't realize I'd found it until I'd sold it, bought it again, traded it for something else, panicked because it was discontinued/reformulated/bought out by another manufacturer, bought a higher-dollar NOS version of it, regretted the purchase, tried to sell it, failed, put it in my closet, and pulled it out two years later only to find it was really, really good, and that I'd spent thousands of dollars on other crap in the interim only to be disappointed again and again.

Then I'd just use it.
Good one, Tim!..... :lol:

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I voted yes only because there is only one item that is out of production that I must have. What it is will remain a secret for now but I have hoarded a good deal of it. Even paid double the retail price for some of it.

So there you be. For the most part if something I really like is still in production I would gladly share it with my friends here at SMF but something no longer produced is another thing.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Okay Gary, where and how in the world did you come up with "donkey milk" soap. This may earn you the title of "connisseur of the obscure".

Definitely on par with some of crackstar's shave cream finds.

I have always like a bit of mint with my shaves, I will be tracking this one down for sure.
Good shaving,

Gary
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Gary. Someone on another forum posted about it a while back and I stumbled onto it. I sent an email (I used a translator so my inquiry would hopefully be clearly understood by someone whose primary language is French) through the website to ask if they ship to USA, and how much would it cost for a couple of sticks. They kindly responded very promptly, and the rest is history. The maker emails back with the total cost, I respond back to say OK, then he sends an invoice through Paypal which I pay, and it's an easy process. The packages are securely packed, and typically delivery takes around 14 days. If I understand correctly, they sell a variety of products at several pharmacies and other retailers in France. Here's the link. Watch for the word "rasage"! They have a section on the page "pour les hommes" where the shaving soaps can be located.
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I voted 'no' because look what's happened when I've said 'yes'; almost everything I raved about on these forums years back have been reformulated, cheapened, or discontinued ( think D R Harris's shaving Milk, Coate's shave creams, US made Schick Injector blades, various colognes like Floris No 89, and almost all the tallow based shave and bath soaps that I loved ), or you guys have driven the prices for old stock items on eBay through the roof. No....sometimes I think I never should have shared about ANY of this stuff....just left those guys on the original shave forum to stumble along as best they could without me....yep, sometimes I think that....sigh. So, now I say 'NO'!....but it doesn't matter because it's extremely unlikely that I'm going to discover anything else super that other members haven't already found at this point, and I'm done with the 'experimenting' and 'discovery' phases anyway. Ah well....carry on then....
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am so confused by this thread that I haven't voted yet.

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?