Anyone play the harmonica?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Spenser

Anyone play the harmonica?

Post by Spenser »

Looking for opinons on Lee Oskar model 1910.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
Shave4Fun

Re: Anyone play the harmonica?

Post by Shave4Fun »

Spenser wrote:Looking for opinons on Lee Oskar model 1910.
Have you tried Lee Oskar of any model? I have one at home in key of "G" (don't recall model), but it sounds really good and has solid, quality tone.

Best,

Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

When I was a kid my brother used to use me as an accompanist when he practiced for his 'jug band'. I had the use of his Hohner Chrometta 10's, a Hohner 'Larry Adler' Professional, and a couple of three chord vampers also made by Hohner. Just about the only thing remaining from those days is the muscle-memory of the first few bars of 'When All the Saints...'

Chris
Blow, suck, slide up, blow, suck, slide down sucking, slide down sucking, slide up, blow, slide down, blow. Sounds rather rude doesn't it?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I never graduated beyond the Hohner Marine Band standard C harp. I'll bet I could still play "Oh Susannah" with a little practice. Maybe "Dixie" too.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Jim's progress is much better then mine with this fascinating instrument. I simply put the thing to my mouth and exhale and inhale just to hear the cacophony. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Re: Dr. Chris's aside in his post above: listening to Mick Jagger's harmonica on "Midnight Rambler" is to understand why it's also known as a mouth organ.

Photo of Elvis actually leaving the building.
Ron
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I played the harmonica for awhile as a teenager, yes they had been invented by then. About the same time started learning the guitar, and the plan was to get some of those little round dark eyeglasses like Paul McCartney used to wear, grow my hair long, become rich and famous, and by now be retired, own my own island in any warm climate, and be drinking diet cokes. Somewhere, somehow, things went askew. I think its called life. Right now the retired part is working out so good I haven’t gotten to the other items, yet.

About a month ago my wife read a article in newspaper about a harmonica class being started at the hospitable for people with respiratory problems as it has been discovered that playing harmonica improves breathing. Turns out the founder lives on east coast and having great success w/program and his daughter lives right here in my town, at least 2000 miles away, and she has started this class. The class is such a success that a second one has been formed and we are pretty darn good, watch for us soon on a tv set near you.

The class started w/a Hohner Harmonica Songbook and a Hohner 4-hole harmonica, I think Hohner has funded the program. I quickly got a Hohner Pocket Pal, a real 10-hole beginners job, the 4-hole was for pre-schoolers. One of students, who is like the technical harp guy for the class and who has played for seventy, yes - that is 70 - years, showed several of his harps off and recommended the Oskar as being well made and tight, making it easier to blow/draw. That has been true, a very big difference. The Pocket Pal feels like it has molasses in it compared to the Oskar. Of course, a very big difference in price came with it. Went from $10 Hohner to the $40 Oskar. A medical doctor, think in Toronto, has a medical practice devoted to this and sells several different types, one of his best was $500 w/aluminum reeds and comb. Custom jobs are even more.

I have found the improved breathing claims to be absolutely true and really like being able to breathe better.

** And drmoss_ca **
Give a listen to Beethoven's Ode To Joy on a harmonica, doesn't remind me of "rude", but then again, to each his own.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
dosco

Post by dosco »

My brother in law is a Hohner, related to the founding brothers of the harmonica company.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Merely my sucking and blowing reminded me of rude topics - but no doubt we can all wait for SCOTUS to rule upon it one of these days. :wink:

Classical harmonica? Look for an RCA Victor CD of Villa-Lobos' Harmonica Concerto et al. Well worth the price.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

rsp1202 wrote:Re: Dr. Chris's aside in his post above: listening to Mick Jagger's harmonica on "Midnight Rambler" is to understand why it's also known as a mouth organ.
My favorite Rolling Stones harmonica player was Sugar Blue (aka James Whiting).
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Taught myself to play when I was a teenager. I play by ear because I do not understand or read music, but I don't play to bad if I do say so myself. Haven't played in a while but I keep a Hohner "C" around just to keep my skills up, plus I just enjoy playing.

Sorry just reminiscing. Can't really help you with your question.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Lee Oskar makes excellent harmonicas. I have a complete set and have been playing them for years. Several good blues harmonica players I know use the Lee Oskar harmonicas.
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Johnny wrote:Lee Oskar makes excellent harmonicas. I have a complete set and have been playing them for years. Several good blues harmonica players I know use the Lee Oskar harmonicas.
Another layer of Johnny that I was unaware of. 8)

Very cool!
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
brothers

Post by brothers »

I recall seeing the Harmoni-Cats playing on TV about a hundred years ago, and those guys were amazing. I've always loved harmonicas, even bought one a few years ago and had visions of becoming really good on it. I did teach myself one song, but alas, the kids came along and lots of other stuff happened. I do indeed love to hear them played, by those who have the talent. I have a question for you guys --- did Slim Harpo play harmonica? I remember some very good harmonica on some of his songs. "Rainin' in my heart"??? Wow!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

BullGoose wrote:
Johnny wrote:Lee Oskar makes excellent harmonicas. I have a complete set and have been playing them for years. Several good blues harmonica players I know use the Lee Oskar harmonicas.
Another layer of Johnny that I was unaware of. 8)

Very cool!
There are a lot of layers to this crusty old dude that a lot of folks don't know about. :D
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

http://lesstroud.ca/news/the-les-stroud ... -by-horner
(At least he's not bothering anyone with his playing when he's stranded himself on a plank of seaweed in the Sargasso Sea.)
Ron