Computer help - screen freezes

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Computer help - screen freezes

Post by Sam »

Well, I have Windows 7, running avast antivirus, updated and scanned, and also running Malwaarebytes anti-malware, updated and scanned.

I can use the computer today, and when I leave for the evening, I close all programs but Outlook and some program that runs in the background that sends meter readings once a week to the 3-in-1 service people that service my scanner/copier/fax machine.

When I come back in the morning, the computer is kinda frozen. It may not even let me log onto the internet and what I have to do is restart the computer.

Defragged it also and tried to run a diagnostic tech through the control panel menu and I think it said VGA problem with plug and play, maybe my monitor.

Anything I can try to do before I call a computer guy?
dosco

Post by dosco »

Suggestion 1: goto this website (forum) and follow the "cleaning instructions" sticky: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Suggestion 2: if you follow those instructions, you will need to get a copy of CCleaner. If you choose not to follow the instructions you should still get a copy of CCleaner and nuke your machine. Then use the "wipe free space" utility to clean up the hard drive.

How much RAM is installed on your machine? That may contribute to the problem but if you have a slow processor there isn't much you can do to fix it (I have several machines but one is an older Pentium ... I upgraded the RAM which helped but it still has moments when it is epically slow).

Good luck, I hope you are able to solve your issue(s).
Last edited by dosco on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

1.08 gig Ram
got cleaner program you cited
went to registry and did the fix registry
going to wipe free space as you say
Gene

Post by Gene »

Sam, I don't think Windows 7 works very well with 1 Gig of RAM. My IT group says 2 is minimum, 3 and beyond is better.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I did the stuff I told Dosco and I am using Google Chrome now instead of firefox to see.
dosco

Post by dosco »

Sam:
I concur with Gene that 1gig of RAM is a bit on the low side.

Of course you may have a hardware problem in the board or with the monitor, so we'll have to wait and see what results you get from your current efforts.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Came in this morning and tried to click open the WORD icon, and Outlook and even the envelope which is at the bottom of my screen which goes to Firefox and loads my email account as the home screen. Got the blue circle showing it was trying to open the programs and it did nothing for three minutes. Rebooted computer and all is fine now.

Any ideas? Seems to just freeze up overnight
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Update: Guy who works with my wife came in and looked at it for about 30 minutes and could not ascertain quickly whether it was hardware or software. Said that I should consider a new computer and he had a few that were at a bank that tossed them for newer ones after 18 months. he erased their hard drive and transferred most of my stuff over. 4 gig of ram really speeds up the internet.

Using some generic form of office and instead of outlook for my calendar (that I would sync to my Iphone) I am using google calendar synced up wirelessly by the Iphone. I have to remember to open up Google Calendar.

Some issues: Java and my Gmail notifier seem not to open up. The notifier icon always has the exclamation point and does not like up as an envelope.

So far that is the only issue and my copier people are going to call so I can use the copier as my scanner again.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Replacement hardware is always a good option. When I get issues with performance, more often than not it means that I need to do a full re-image/re-install of the Windows OS. One of the realities of Windows is that it bogs down with code running in the background all the time, and doesn't easily deal with closing these processes. Suspending, or hibernating a laptop frequently can add to these kinds of issues as well.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

We changed to Windows 7 at work and everyone hates it. The intent of Windows originally was to have many windows open at the same time to multi-task but this version will not let anyone do any work on another window while the current one is doing it's thing.

Sometimes change is not so good.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

I will dance in the streets the day the bloated Windows OS is universally replaced in favour of another operating system. That day may not be too far when the world of tablets becomes more appealing to the masses versus PC's.

I recently installed Ubuntu (Linux) on an old laptop for the kids. I can't believe how well the laptop performs when it is not slowed by the Windows Resource Hog and Outlook.

Windows 7 has not performed well for me, but it is far better than Vista and/or Windows 8.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I still cringe every time I hear someone has crashed or bogged down using Windows. I wish they could all switch over to Linux; I'm using Mint and haven't had one problem. It couldn't run any faster, there are no compatibility issues, there's virtually no delay when downloading updates (without need to reboot), and no need to run anti-virus/spyware. Linux is Mac without the frills or expense. I wouldn't give Bill Gates or his minions another dime. He may have brought computers to millions, but so has my UPS guy -- and he knows not to overstay his welcome.
Ron
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

I think many people still perceive Linux as some way-out system that requires advanced technical skills to operate.

Ubuntu was simple to install and took little time to get used to.

Much less time than it took to figure out Windows 8 and uninstall it. :evil:
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

RazorRamone wrote:I think many people still perceive Linux as some way-out system that requires advanced technical skills to operate.

Ubuntu was simple to install and took little time to get used to.

Much less time than it took to figure out Windows 8 and uninstall it. :evil:
Sometimes change might be good!
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Linux Mint still requires a once-in-a-blue moon foray into command-line operation, but that's a small price to pay for all the other things it does without hassle. Someday soon an all-up GUI will appear and command line can retire with Gates to ctrl+alt+delete oblivion. I don't mind that Mint is bare-bone-ish, in fact I prefer it. I'd still be using Ubuntu 10.4 if there was long-term support. If offered a choice to continue using PC/Linux or getting a Mac, I'd pull a Jack Benny when a robber threatened "Your money or your life!": I'm thinking.
Ron
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

If I really had a choice and loads of time on my hands Ubuntu would be my OS of choice.

Just got another laptop to replace an old desktop and it has Win8 on it. So say the OS sucks is an understatement. If I were using a tablet then I would sing a different song about Win 8. On the other hand I would have an Android tablet rather than a Win tablet. Might even look at an iPad too.

My problem with Ubuntu was in June of 2011 I did one of the semi-annual updates to the OS and all of a sudden all my peripherals quit working. Not that is not good. No way I was going to spend tons of hours search and playing around with different drivers in an attempt to get them to work.

I did find Linux great when it came to crashes and the user interface. Quite an OS. Just wish that the peripheral hardware mfgs would support their products on Linux. Guess they are too much in bed with Microsoft and Apple to look at what in my opinion could be the best OS out there.

As for programs I found decent replacement programs for all those that I used frequently. And I still use a few of them. Open Office (free) to replace MS Office, Gmail (free) to replace MS Outlook, Google Calendar (free) to replace Outlook calendar. Google Contacts (part of Gmail) for my phone book from MS.

As far as web browsers I have used Firefox since like version 1.0. Love it and it too is free. Have messed with Google Chrome but some little things about it that I don't like over Firefox.

So outside of the OS I am pretty much MS free when it comes to application software. I rue the day when MS decides to discontinue support for Win 7 which I have on my other two laptops. Maybe by then Linux will have better support from the hardware mfgs.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Our corporate install of Win7OS is brutal as well. Doggedly slow. excessive hard drive churns, and simply not my preferred choice. My wife's new Thinkpad has Win8 -- it's OK, but only OK. While I dislike the price of Apple, I sure like iOS -- I use my iPad for most things not work-related now-a-days.

When the Mac Air comes down in price a bit (if that ever happens), that would be my computer of choice, I think.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

Try pouring some of this in your box

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Takes getting used to but wow, my programs and internet are opening so much faster. Open Office is a bit different than microsoft word. Tried to send an Open Office document as an attachment to an email in Gmail and recipient said she could not open it. They have an icon in Open Office to directly convert it to PDF and I can save that version and was able to send it then as well
dosco

Post by dosco »

Sam wrote:Takes getting used to but wow, my programs and internet are opening so much faster. Open Office is a bit different than microsoft word. Tried to send an Open Office document as an attachment to an email in Gmail and recipient said she could not open it. They have an icon in Open Office to directly convert it to PDF and I can save that version and was able to send it then as well
Yep.

I had a guy working for me that used Google docs and tried to send a Google document to a customer as a deliverable (the customer is well known as a Microsoft user).

I was less than pleased.