If you want to join the new SMF

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
drmoss_ca
Admin

If you want to join the new SMF

Post by drmoss_ca »

Click on Register and do what it asks. There is a captcha to solve and so far it is working to keep out the bots. I still have to approve the account, but I look in a couple of times a day for that purpose so it shouldn't be a long wait.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: If you want to join the new SMF

Post by drmoss_ca »

Trying a new Q&A captcha. Apparently our graphic of various letters and numbers has been compromised and there bots that can solve it. It's now a question and answer of the "which one of these does not belong"' type. There are 4 brushmakers and one razor maker in the list. Figure out the rest or join some other forum!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If anyone has problems mail support@shavemyface.com and it will go to all the admins.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I didn't know where else to post this question. I don't see any PM connection on this new forum. What am I missing?
Regards,
Gordon
harper

Post by harper »

Gordon: I found this by accident but if you go to Members at the top right and then find the member you are looking for, click on the name and you will see a place for sending private messages. I haven't tried it but I assume like the other things on this great new site it will work. So far, it is splendid.

Bob
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

bernards66 wrote:Chris, I didn't know where else to post this question. I don't see any PM connection on this new forum. What am I missing?
Regards,
Gordon
The "private messages" function can be accessed through the User Control Panel link at the top left of every page. If you click the "0 new messages" link it will take you right to your inbox from which you can compose new messages and do all those things you used to do on the old forum.

If you still have trouble finding it, try this link:

ucp.php?i=pm&folder=inbox

Vince
:::Vince:::
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Vince, Okay, I got it. Thanks.
Regards,
Gordon
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

New variation on a theme. Anyone can join without me, or another admin, approving the account. But your first post will not appear until one of us approves it. Spammers and bots that get past the captcha by luck alone will never be seen by the normal user, as their nonsense will be deleted (along with their accounts and a ban on their IP) by your dedicated admin team.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

That sounds like hero work to me.

Many thanks to you and any of other admins that police the site!!

For a second I thought Vince had stirred from his slumbers, and it's always nice to remember Gordon and his valuable knowledge.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Makes perfect sense to me, as, come to think of it, the first post usually reveals what the new member is up to.

I'll add my thanks to Chris and the other admins for all the work this entails.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Funny thing is that I learned how to do it by setting up another forum from scratch (it's for CLL patients).
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:01 am . . . . thanks to Chris and the other admins for all the work this entails.

- Murray
Same here! Thanks!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444