C&S Oxford and Cambridge

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Esoteric83

C&S Oxford and Cambridge

Post by Esoteric83 »

I received a second sample of this stuff.

This is one hell of a scent, I must say. Clean, crisp with a nice lavender that seems to last quite well on me in hotter weather. Well compared to other lavender waters that I have tried. It then seems to dry down to that same C&S base that seems to be prevalent with all their offerings.

But the price, the price...I really like this stuff and it is available locally (well same provence), so the rational to make a buy is there. Only live once so to 'speake'.

However, given the amount of lavender waters or lavender centric frags out there, I was curious if there were other options that could compare to this scent wise. For example, lavender heavy but other notes. I know this is very subjective, but a ballpark estimate is what I am after.

Taylors, I have and am not wild about it.

Sorry if this has been discussed before as I believe the topic of the cost of this stuff has been brought up by members!

As alwways, =D>
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I'm a big fan of C&S O&C as well. I can't think of another lavender scent that has both its sillage and duration. But the price...yeah. Ouch. The consolation is that a little goes a very long way and a bottle lasts for quite a while. You might keep your eye open on Ebay or the BST forum here for someone selling a partially full bottle. That's how I got my first bottle of Trumper's Spanish Leather.
Cheers,

Craig
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Try Nancy Boy Signature Body Spray, which runs at $25. Very similar scent.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I've always agreed that the C&S lavender water is, perhaps, the best out there but it didn't have all that much longevity on me; generally, of course, classic 'lavender waters' don't. But for me the price is simply prohibative, I'm balking at spending what Penhaligon's English Fern costs today and that's my favourite cologne. I've bought Trumpers Lavender Water in the past and might again but that is absolutely my top end, price-wise, for a scent like lavender water. If you can afford the C&S, enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

OK - so I am acronym-challenged ...
  • C&S = ?
  • O&C = ?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Craig_From_Cincy

Sorry Wendell, Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge
Cheers,

Craig
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I get great longevity for a lavender note, and the oakmoss/sandalwood duo in the base puts it over the edge into greatness for me.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Sorry Wendell, Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge
I am such an idiot -- 7 years on this forum and I didn't recognize this??? Duh is me!!!

Thx.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Thanks gents. What I like about this is that it does have some staying power on me, but has that unique ability to stay within it's limits throughout the day. I don't need to apply a lot, but if I do, it doesn't seem to intrude outside my zone. It is just a unique scent to me.

Hammam Bouquet is another scent with this trait on me. I also need another refill of that, so take that bank account :twisted: I picked up a bottle of LP 9 at Winners for 29 loonies (the CDN TJ MAXX) and keep hoping they will have some of this, EF or Castile pop up for summer. Blenheim is still at the 40% mark, but a extra one or two of those on the cheap would be great. They also have some Floris bottles on the shelf, but for the ladies so maybe the 89 I've wanted to add to my stash will come cheap and I can splurge elsewhere. Hooray for the bargain bin!

How does the Trumpers lavender water compare? Is it a medicinal lavender and are there other notes present.
Craig_From_Cincy

Esoteric,

If memory serves, Trumper's Lavender Water has a slight minty note to it. I've only had a sample of it, and it was several years back so I could be mistaken. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Check out the recent thread on Blenheim Bouquet, Crown Town & Country, which is very similar to BB, is on clearance sale for a ridiculously low price.
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, the Trumpers Lavender Water does have a slight minty note that personally I could do without but it's not noticeable enough for me to write it off. If it wasn't for English Fern it would probably be a regular for me. I like the C&S even more but it's just more than I'm willing to pay.
Regards,
Gordon
kingfisher

Re: C&S Oxford and Cambridge

Post by kingfisher »

I haven't found anything that is remotely a good substitute for Oxford and Cambridge.

You just have to pony up the cash and get it. You can eat another day.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

kingfisher wrote:I haven't found anything that is remotely a good substitute for Oxford and Cambridge.

You just have to pony up the cash and get it. You can eat another day.
Or another week. I went crazy over the sample C&S generously scent, then almost lost a few pounds when I saw how much a bottle goes for...
Regards,
Mike
Craig_From_Cincy

Ha, that's how they pay for those generous samples! :lol:

Just like the drug dealers do, the first hit is free. Then its too late because you're hooked.
Cheers,

Craig
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

SO how much are they asking for this stuff in the USA? Here, it's about a mid-list price: £75 ($115) for 100ml. For comparison, Hammam Bouquet is £85 ($130).

But, yes, I agree, it's a fine lavender soliflore, perhaps the best.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The cologne is about $140.00 here, must've come over on a first class ticket.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Quite so. It really is, IMO, the best men's 'lavender water' still made but $140 is just too much for a scent like this I think.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Just a thought...I find that a little application of O&C goes a very long way, so perhaps a few members might go in on a bottle and split it? As long as you don't mind having the cologne in a bottle other than the original (which is nothing to write home about IMHO) it might be a solution for a few members to get this excellent cologne (I fully agree with Gordon that its the best lavender on the market) without laying out a huge amount of cash.
Cheers,

Craig