Best unscented aftershave lotion

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
John N.

Best unscented aftershave lotion

Post by John N. »

I have finally decided that the best route for me is an unscented aftershave. I have been looking at Mandom Lucido, but have seen mixed reviews on the scent...though it is supposed to be unscented. It has no fragrance listed...perhaps it is the alcohol. Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated.
J.
John N.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Best unscented aftershave lotion

Post by fallingwickets »

talk to phil at bullgoose about his acca kappa(sp?) product

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

John,

When I asked here about a good after shave balm/healer there were a lot of excellent recommendations; the one
product receiving the most was Clinique for Men Post Shave Healer. the second most mentioned was Nivea sensitive After
Shave Balm

I tried both and the Clinique was preferred. very light (none) scent, easily absorbed, very effective in soothing minor
shave irritation. My friends here at SMF led me right on this one. You might try it to see if you agree!

The Nivea was also good and a lot cheaper should price be a factor.

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The Body Shop Razor Relief --- I would say it's unscented.

Also -- GFT Skin Food scent on the limes dissipates very quickly. I am scent sensitive and can use both with no problem whatsoever.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A bizarre suggestion but one that stood up well for some years is to Use Castle Forbes Pre-Shave Lotion as an aftershave balm. It is unscented and very much like GFT Skin Food, but just a bit thicker and more moisturising than the latter.

These days I use GFT Coral Skin Food in the hot months and well-shaken GFT Eucris Hair Dressing in the cold months. Yes, it does work, and no, I'm not crazy.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I would say, Clinique Post Shave Healer or AoS unscented aftershave gel ( assuming that it's still made ). Also, you might consider D R Harris's Pink aftershave. True, it does have a scent, but not much of one and it fades almost immediately. It's what I always use, except on trips when I pack the Clinique because it's lighter and unbreakable.
Regards,
Gordon
Araner

Post by Araner »

John N. wrote:I have finally decided that the best route for me is an unscented aftershave. I have been looking at Mandom Lucido, but have seen mixed reviews on the scent...though it is supposed to be unscented. It has no fragrance listed...perhaps it is the alcohol. Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated.
J.
John, I use Lucido and think it's some terrific stuff. Clear, unscented and has a menthol kick. It contains glycerin and if you can imagine Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue without the blue color and scent you'd have what Lucido is. I think it's well worth a try.

Mike
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

bernards66 wrote:I would say, Clinique Post Shave Healer or AoS unscented aftershave gel ( assuming that it's still made ). Also, you might consider D R Harris's Pink aftershave. True, it does have a scent, but not much of one and it fades almost immediately. It's what I always use, except on trips when I pack the Clinique because it's lighter and unbreakable.
Regards,
Gordon
Clinique for me.

Discovered it a week ago.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I have a couple to recommend as I usually go scent less with my after shave everyday.

+ Mandon Lucido, both the After Shave splash and Skin Conditioning lotion, unscented with excellent skin care, one of the best I have ever tried. The menthol kick from the splash is terrific and I give these a slight edge over Clinique which is more generally available and very good.

Thayers Witch Hazel After Shave, small bottle with the green label, just plain out works, no more needs to be said.
Good shaving,

Gary
John N.

Post by John N. »

Thanks one & all. I have, use and like the Clinique PSH, but am looking for an unscented splash. I probably was not clear enough on that point. Have decided to go with the Lucido. The whole reason for this exercise is that I want to move away from scented aftershaves; not necessarily because of sensitivity issues (though I am a sensitive guy :^o ) but rather so I can concentrate on my EDTs without interference. If anyone has a problem with the scent of the unscented Lucido, now is the time to warn me off.
J.
John N.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

John,

Lucido goes on with a bit of what could best be described as a light alcohol odor which fades off instantly and has pretty much zero burn and then after a few seconds heads into that menthol feeling that I think you are looking for, with two or three splashes on your palms it spreads like a super light weight gel. Does it's job with no burn or scent and definitely worth the try.
Good shaving,

Gary
John N.

Post by John N. »

Gary,
Thanks, that was the info I was hoping for. Will be getting the Lucido shortly. Speaking of an alcohol scent, I find that to be true of the Clinique...actually, it smells more like a vodka/gin cocktail of some kind.
J.
John N.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

For a non-scented splash product, I recommend witch hazel -- just about anything Thayer's produces. I am partial to Lemon Aloe Vera ... don't be put off by the lemon, it's virtually scent-free and is a fabulous product.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

drmoss_ca wrote:A bizarre suggestion but one that stood up well for some years is to Use Castle Forbes Pre-Shave Lotion as an aftershave balm. It is unscented and very much like GFT Skin Food, but just a bit thicker and more moisturising than the latter.
I'll second this.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've tried the Lucido a couple times now and am on the fence about it. I get the distinct impression I'm splashing on JP-7, and the menthol afterburner doesn't do a thing for me. It does look classy sitting on the shelf, though. I might try to sell it, but it's not worth the cost to ship it anywhere; I might try it again to see if my impressions change. One of those "it sounds good" moments that turns out to not float the boat.
Ron
Araner

Post by Araner »

You're right about the bottle, looks great; heavy duty glass.

It works well for me, I guess it's a YMMV thing.

Mike
John N.

Post by John N. »

I ended up getting the Lucido, and it is interesting stuff. My first thought was that the glass bottle is quite attractive...appropriate for life on the bathroom counter. I opened it up, and gave it a good sniff. To my nose, it smells like a mild, slightly sweet version of Listerine...not unpleasant at all, just different. Proceeded to shave using a shave soap because they can be slightly drying. After a good warm then cold water rinse, I applied a couple of shakes of the Lucido. It went on quite smoothly, and the scent faded quickly (within 30 sec.)...then came the menthol cooling which was quite nice (not too strong or weak). The glycerin took care of any of the tightness left over from the soap, and I was left with a comfortable, smooth, scent free and non greasy end to my shave. Compared to Clinique ASH, I would say that they are similar (scent aside), with the nod going to the Lucido during the dog-days of summer. Both of these products are of the highest quality and get the job done nicely if you want your EDT to do the heavy lifting without interference.
J.
John N.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Glad you liked it John.
Good shaving,

Gary
anomaly1985

Post by anomaly1985 »

I used Ginger's Gardens unscented balm and aftershave. The ingredients list is minimal. Nice menthol feel with soothing properties. Quite invigorating.

Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

Lúcido, from Japan should be in your selection. It is a great non-scented aftershave. You should also sample Snakebite, from Fine Accoutrements. Soap Smooth makes an unscented balm called Bordeaux, to match their soap, of the same name.