RazorRock - S.Maria

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Esoteric83

RazorRock - S.Maria

Post by Esoteric83 »

Just received a pot of this today. I was happy to see the packaging is not the same as that used for XXX. It is much more solid and with an actual screw top. The scent is like a sweet eucalyptus and the cream is pretty much the same density as a fresh Creightons offering. I was expecting something more along the lines of Proraso, but this is much better IMO. Can't wait to give it a spin tomorrow.
Nate

Re: RazorRock - S.Maria

Post by Nate »

How did the S. Maria do for its first shave?

Quite interesting about the texture. I too, was under the impression that it would be a more firm cream; perhaps along the lines of my tub of Acca Kappa 1869, and unlike all their previous soft soaps.

Oh well, it's just another reason, albeit an unanticipated but not yet unpleasant one, to look forward to mine arriving today... hopefully (I am eagerly awaiting my chance to check the mail).
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I was expecting a firmer soft soap the likes of XXX or Proraso, but I am pleasantly surprised with what I got. It's almost effortless to scoop out a dollop with my finger and there are no clumps or unlathered cream left in the lather bowl like, for example, when using the same method for CF or older more firm Creightons creams. I was debating this or the new Harris Eucalyptus offering. The contents in the tub could have been in a Dr. Harris, T&H or Trumpers pot and I could not tell the difference if subjected to a 'Pepsi' challenge(unless colouring or scent was a deciding factor). It even has that similar sheen.

It is a very refreshing cream to use, but the refreshing nature is more scent centric as opposed to cooling which I did not get from this stuff. The lather is very easy to work up, thick and provides excellent glide and protection. The scent is pretty mild throughout the shave, but always present. Alomost like a candy eucalyptus from a cough drop. The jar is also a huge improvement to the other RR ones I've come across, which are flimsy and cheap feeling / looking. The screw top and thicker plastic are great and the translucent white with the black & red RR sticker on top looks very nice.

Top notch at a steal cost wise. I will probably try the Karite stuff come winter.
RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

Thanks for the review.

I agree with you about the black tubs and they will not be re-ordered. From now on, we will be moving all our shaving cream and soaps into the jars like S.Maria and "King of the Castle"; in my opinion, they are more solid with the screw top and the wider opening makes them a breeze to lather on top (for the soaps).

Cheers!