Endeavour is Back ... With Another DE Moment

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Endeavour is Back ... With Another DE Moment

Post by jww »

We get Jam and Jersualem here on vision tv. It's stupendous and hits the key elements of the women's institute. Making jam and singing - the life of the WI (Clatterford in the uk).

If we are talking about David Jason, then we absolutely have to include Darling Buds of May - an absolutely brilliant series. After watching it, you want to become Pa Larkin. The humble beginnings of Catherine Zeta-Jones pre Michael Douglas and cosmetic surgery.

I do intend to see Foyle's eventually, but not taking up any new shows until Le Tour is over. I feel another thread coming on. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Ah, yes, "The Darling Buds of May"; TV doesn't get any better than that does it? I liked him also as Del Boy Trotter in "Only Fools and Horses" and as Granville in "Open All Hours", to name just a few. David Jason (actually Sir David White) started life as an electrician.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:Ah, yes, "The Darling Buds of May"; TV doesn't get any better than that does it? I liked him also as Del Boy Trotter in "Only Fools and Horses" and as Granville in "Open All Hours", to name just a few. David Jason (actually Sir David White) started life as an electrician.
Yup. All "perfect" shows fer,sure.

I even recall a shaving scene or two in Darling Buds and Fools & Horses, methinks.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Get the Foyle, get the Foyle, get the Foyle.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Now that I've mentioned "Open All Hours" I got thinking about "The Two Ronnies", Ronnie Corbett and Ronnie Barker. Another brilliant programme
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Oh. The joys of an era passed us by. What about On The Buses & Are You Being Served? Thigh slapping stuff back in the day.
Wendell

Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Im watching the pilot episode of Judge John Deed tonight. I like it. Not on a Kavanagh level, but enjoyable.
Cheers,

Craig
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Thanks guys for this thread. I am not so much a fan of some of these shows as my wife is. But I have watched a few of them. We both liked A Touch of Frost and Inspector Morse and are looking for some others to view. Wife has seen Foyles War and likes it so I want to get into that one especially after Squire & Wendell recommend it.

Some one mentioned my favorite British Comedy, "Are You Being Served". Just a great funny show. Have seen many of the episodes more than once. Another one we enjoy is "Keeping Up Appearances" which is just hilarious. I even use a pix of my favorite character from that show, Onslow played by the late Geoffery Hughes as my avatar.

Speaking of British comedies I would also recommend "Little Britain", a funny but often vulgar, though not so much in language but in the skits, which my son-in-law told me about a couple years ago. Can be found on Amazon here in the states.

Need to bookmark this thread so I can refer back to it often.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

In my book the funniest of the British comedies are "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister"; I just love the way Sir Humphrey manipulates and contorts the English language. Fortunately we are still able to get theses programmes. My other favourites, over and above those I've mentioned in earlier posts, include "The Thin Blue Line", Ricky Gervais' the original "The Office", "Are You Being Served", "Fawlty Towers", "Blackadder", "The Vicar of Dibley", "Chef", "Absolutely Fabulous", "The Royale Family", "Monty Python's Flying Circus", "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin", "The Good life", "Hi-de-Hi", "Rising Damp", "To the Manor Born". I could go on and on, but I think I've bored you enough. Regardless, for those of you this side of the Pond who are lovers of the British/English sense of humour my list should provide you with ample grist for your comedy mill.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Back to Endeavour - I find Roger Allam very appealing, if only because he is a perfect double for Christopher Hitchens.

Allam:
200px-Roger_Allam_La_Cage_120909_DSCF1622.JPG
200px-Roger_Allam_La_Cage_120909_DSCF1622.JPG (10.98 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
Hitchens:
SCHILL1-articleInline.jpg
SCHILL1-articleInline.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
Uncanny, isn't it?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes he does now that you mention it, I miss Hitch.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Episode 2 was outstanding. The creating of morse is like a good super hero origins movie. No, that's not fair. It's nothing like that .... it is far, far better. And to coincide nicely with this series being run on our PBS station, they are also,running Morse again, having just aired The Remorseful Day which have what may be the best final scene of all British television - including MI-5/Spooks and that is saying a lot.

Regarding Yes, Prime Minister, it's just been reduxed as,an anniversary series by the same two original writers. I watched the first 2 episodes on the plane back from Winnipeg this morning and thought it very good. Although I have to say that no one will come close to Nigel Hawthorne as Sir Humphrey, I actually think that David Haig is a better Jim Hacker than was Paul Eddington. Hope it gets to BBC Canada soon.
Wendell

Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I watched the final Lewis last night. Now I'm reading that there might be periodic new episodes:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox ... bably.html
Cheers,

Craig
SRD

Post by SRD »

The Fugue espisode was simply outstanding! =D>
Dave
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:I watched the final Lewis last night. Now I'm reading that there might be periodic new episodes:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox ... bably.html
A fitting end to a fine series in my opinion. I like how the BBC wasn't afraid to end the series --- a few specials could well be enjoyable -- they certainly worked with Morse.

Endeavor series one is only a few episodes totaling 4. I get a kick out of the one-word titles. Home and Rocket are the remaining episodes to air on PBS the next couple of weeks. All the acting is outstanding, and seeing the many foreshadowing of how Endeavor becomes Morse is fabulous. Last night, while we watched Fugue, it dawned on me in the final scene how Fred Thursday has elements of Lewis as an older inspector. Which means the cycle of Thursday --- or Lewis --- influences Endeavor, who then tutors Lewis (Thursday), who in turn mentors Hathaway (Endeavor). The interconnection of the characters is really quite astounding. The writers, producers, directors and actors have really got this down.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have to confess that I'm now hooked on "Endeavour". Can't say the same thing about "Inspector George Gently". Martin Shaw irritated me in "Judge John Deed" and he gets under my skin equally as Gently. I guess you can't win them all, but with "Endeavour" now on the scene I feel pretty good. Now to complete my summer "Dr Who" needs to be aired regularly, but failing that I'd settle for re-runs of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

We've just begun watching Endeavour. We're looking forward to the experience.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Make sure you see the initial tv special before devling into series 1. See how many random Morse references you can find. There's a good one in the closing credits.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Anyone reprising the role made famous by Nigel Hawthorne's portrayal of Sir Humphrey is indeed a hard act to follow though I'm looking forward to viewing the effort.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Not a great fan of Morse but m wife is. Told her about Endeavour and she watched it last Sunday evening. Liked it and I think she will continue watching it even if I have to record it on our DVR for her.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum