Italian Almond Croaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Craig_From_Cincy

Italian Almond Croaps

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Gents,

I'm at the end of my sample of 3P Almond Shaving Soap that Brian generously gave to several of us. I've really enjoyed this soft soap, but before I reorder more of it I was hoping that some of you who have posted about using other almond scented Italian soft soaps might share the brand names with me and sources for the soaps. I seem to remember a bitter almond soap being discussed recently.
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Re: Italian Almond Croaps

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, I'm not of much help on this one as I've only tried a few of these soaps; Valobra, Cella ( both varieties-Italian and German ), Boellis, and that version that is said to be made in house by the Bompieri barber shop in Milan. This last one was definately the best of this type that I've tried. Unfortunately, it is not really 'available' per se. I only was able to get any because I chipped in for 100g. when one of our members negotiated a sale of a kilo. I gather that a kilo is the smallest amount that they're willing to bother to ship overseas and the shipping was...er....not inexpensive. But other members have tried far more of these 'croaps' then I have so we will see what they have to say.
Regards,
Gordon
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The ABCBA referred to by Bernards66 may be available soon from Italian Barber, but if not it can be gotten directly from the source. If you can't find the thread that refers to it let me know and I'll look for it. ABCBA is the best Italian croap that I've ever used, though some have suggested there are better. Check the thread. You might do a search for Antica Barbiera Colla Bitter Almond or some such. My spelling may not be 100%. Ah, a search for "Francesca" might turn it up.

3P is quite good, so is Vitos Extra something or other. The precise name escapes me; I call it Vitos Red. If you can find P160 on a b/s/t for a reasonable price it would be worth using. But it's extinct. It's beaten out by a whisker in a photofinish race by ABCBA.

Italian Barbers R160 is also quite good.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
beartrap

Post by beartrap »

The Vitos that Brian is talking about is Red with Coconut, there are 2 varieties of Red with and without coconut.
ABCBA is really really good, we just had another group buy and 15 shares went fast. Joe did mention that he is working on getting it under his label but this might take a while.
Steve
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

The current Boellis Panama 1924 "croap" is the best of the best in this category IMO.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Gents,

I'm at the end of my sample of 3P Almond Shaving Soap that Brian generously gave to several of us. I've really enjoyed this soft soap, but before I reorder more of it I was hoping that some of you who have posted about using other almond scented Italian soft soaps might share the brand names with me and sources for the soaps. I seem to remember a bitter almond soap being discussed recently.
Craig, I've tried all of the above, and can't disagree with the opinions already provided. It's all good stuff. By the way, just in case anyone is weary of the standard issue almond fragrance of these soft Italian soaps, there is always Panna Crema, direct from Rome, that comes in several scent variations, none of which is almond. Panna Crema has announced on the website that they've made more, and they'll go up for sale on July 24th, at 6 pm Rome time. It always sells out but it's worth buying and using. Contains tallow, if I'm not mistaken.

PS: Brian may have given you a sample of the 3P, but don't forget you got another one from me a couple of months ago. Maybe you've still got that one on hand!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Craig, all the Italian crema soaps are quite good in their own right, scents vary somewhat and there is definitely a high end range and mid range. On the high side you have - ABC, Boelis and I would plug in Valobra and Cella into this category as well. The mid range includes pretty much all the others including the house brand of an online vendor and some of the new vendors in the category.

My favorites at the moment are ABC and Valobra Almond which shave pretty much identical for me, I have yet to spring for Boelis.

All in all, I think this is a wonderful category of shaving product, one that seems to have stood the test of time, I would strongly suggest to sample a few before making any major purchase of large block. I highly suggest that everone have at least one of these Italian gems in the collection.
Good shaving,

Gary
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Of those that are commonly available I think Valobra is a good choice.
Regards,
Squire
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Thanks for all of the great replies Gents. I had forgotten about Valobra being available in almond, certainly a well priced option, as is RazorRock R160, available for a modest $10. Boellis Panama 1924 sounds great but a bit more expensive at $50, although it is for 250g of product.
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I am assuming from the way that you worded your post that the Boellis Panama 1924 soap that is now sold is different and 'better' than the ones we bought back around 2005? That one, for me, was largely indistinguishable from Valobra.
Regards,
Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

That's correct Gordon. The current offering is completely different than what we bought back in 05.

Chris
SRD

Post by SRD »

I really enjoy the Valobra.
Dave
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Dang it! I thought I had laid that one to rest....but, apparently not. Sigh....if the new version is even better than that stuff from Pompieri's in Milan than it must be pretty damn good! No..no...never mind....too expensive....couldn't even really afford it back then....you've always been a bane to my wallet...
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

When I first saw this thread my eyes read "Italian Almond Crap" -- :shock: That caught my interest. Then I read through it ..... :oops:

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship thing with both Valbora and Cella. I like them both well enough, but sometimes, they just go too slick when I leave them in the scuttle between passes. This isn't a regular thing, so I suspect it's got something to do with hubris during the shave or prep. I still am nursing a pot full of TP Morbido (thanks to the good Dr.) with which I am doing all I can to lovingly make it last as long as possible.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?