Made Rite vintage rebristle

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Made Rite vintage rebristle

Post by brothers »

I refer to this as my Made Rite Finest brush. I reknotted it in the fall or 2008 or thereabouts. I've used this brush more than any other over the past 5 years since I replaced the old knot. The new knot came from TGN. Starting out, it was a bit scritchy. After several hundred shaves the tips of the badger hairs have acquired a few added characteristics. A number of the tips are mildly hooked; also, some, not a lot, but several, are actually splitting. Not as dramatically as a boar would split, but maybe a single millimeter of the hair. It's not nearly as scritchy as it used to be. It's a fine lather maker.
Made Rite Finest brush.JPG
Made Rite Finest brush.JPG (73.83 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
Last edited by brothers on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Oscar11

Re: Made Rite vintage rebristle

Post by Oscar11 »

Nice job. I'm a fan of the 2 band and grade A knots from TGN. They'll make a very nice brush if you pay attention to the loft. The 2 bands usually always hook for me. Right now I'm badgerless but have a 22mm grade A fan on the way.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's not very pretty, but it was my first effort. It's turned out to be a great shaving tool.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have one TGN Finest knot and it's definitely solidly in my badger rotation; I value it greatly. In fact I was thinking today of making another just to make sure I'd never be without one. My present TGN finest is in a wooden handle hence my concern. If I make a spare the first one will surely last forever.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Update: Recently I used this brush when I was using up a whole puck of Tabac a few weeks ago. It's remarkable how well it works. Soft and as smooth as silk. Definitely a favorite, and it easily compares to the likes of Plisson, Rooney, Kent, you name it.
Gary