New Guy and New DE Shaver Checking In (Pics)

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
AKASL

New Guy and New DE Shaver Checking In (Pics)

Post by AKASL »

Hello All,

Just wanted to check in and say I'm a new guy here and new to Double Edge shaving. I looked for a New Guy forum on SMF but didn't see one so I figured I would post here in the General Forum.

I've been using cartridge razors for about 35 years and I got tired of throwing money away every time I replaced a dull blade. I started getting interested in DE shaving about two months ago when I saw a thread in another forum about how great a shave one can get from DE shaving. I started doing my research on it and after watching many videos and finding the Badger & Blade site I decided to purchase an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor.

After I placed the order for my razor I decided to let my whiskers grow until I received the razor from the mail. When the razor did arrive I was excited to try it out on my 5 day beard. I had already purchased a Van Der Hagen Shaving Set from the department store so I was off to the bath room to see what all the hype was about.

I whipped up a lather and spread it out on the white wire that was covering my face and proceeded to scrape the growth from my manly features. I was impressed with the razor and the Wilkinson Blades that I purchased with the shaving set. I was approximately 95% finished with the first pass when I felt the razor starting to tug at the whiskers so instinctively I loaded a new blade into the razor.

Needless to say I was a bloody mess by the time I couldn't feel any more stubble on my now bleeding manly features. So off I went to do more research on how to properly use a DE razor and this time I studied every detail I could possibly glean from any video or forum I could find. I also practiced with an empty razor (no blade installed) with my eyes closed so I could feel if I was putting excess pressure on my face thru the razor. Little by little I discovered there is quite a knack to this form of self mutilation.

Since those first couple of shaves I have gotten crafty and made myself some different razor handles that I felt more comfortable with. see the photos below

I am currently running the Titanium handle in the first picture as I found that the Titanium is lighter than the original chrome plated brass handle, it is also longer and I managed to get enough of a knurl into the Titanium to give it just enough grip so when my fingers are wet and sloppy with shaving lather I am not apt to drop the razor.

Take Care Gents and feel free to post any hints or tips that you feel this Newbie could put to good use 8)
Last edited by AKASL on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
marsos52

Re: New Guy and New DE Shaver Checking In

Post by marsos52 »

welcome and I'm sure you'll love our smf forum.

I think you have the best first thread I have ever seen and read here too..

I really enjoyed your post and the pictures of your handles, so impressive,

marc
AKASL

Post by AKASL »

Thanks Marc! Got any tips for a new guy to DE shaving??
AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Exapno

Re: New Guy and New DE Shaver Checking In (Pics)

Post by Exapno »

Welcome to SMF! Some really nice handles you've made there. If I had one tip to give it would be to not rush things. If I were to give another, it would be to not rush things.
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

Welcome to SMF!
One can't believe everything one reads on the internet -- Abraham Lincoln
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Welcome to SMF. Nice handles. Anybody who can make those should not have any trouble learning to shave with a DE. It's really not difficult. You've watched the videos. Millions and millions of men have mastered DE technique without them. Just take your time and watch the angle and the pressure. Don't go for a close shave at first. Go for presentable and comfortable. If you want a close shave later on, have at it. I have come to really appreciate the sensible, not terribly close, but terribly comfortable DE shave.
Rich
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Welcome aboard and as the others have said take your time and keep it comfortable, get the technique down first and the rest will follow naturally.
Regards,
Squire
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Welcome aboard!
Good shaving,

Gary
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Welcome to SMF!!
Cheers,

Craig
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum! Nice first post, nice handles.

Tips... just read the posts in this section, glean what you can from them. You'll get it; we did. If you have questions we're here.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi, as you can see, we're happy you've landed on SMF! Good work on the handles. As you're browsing through the posts, you'll see yourself picking up some valuable information, and as you continue to use your new products, you'll notice a lot of improvement over time. Here's looking forward to your ongoing participation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SRD

Post by SRD »

Welcome to the gang.
Dave
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF.
  • Visit often.
  • Post frequently.
  • Learn what you can.
  • Teach us new stuff.
  • Enjoy the community and camaraderie!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

excellent work on the new handles. i've a piece of ss rod myself and my son has a lathe so i've given some thought to making a few of my own, but you've put a lot more thought and creativity in yours. great job!!

Bruce
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Welcome to the community.

Very impressive handles you have crafted there.

I echo what everyone else has stated. Enjoy your time here. Share your discoveries. Make yourself at home.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...