Vetiver

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Vetiver

Post by Sam »

I'm liking the Dior and may get it. Haitian vetiver which may not be so earthy. Brighter. And has grapefruit and cocoa. Tim I did get the Montale
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, fragrancenet.com had a 20% coupon and so I pulled the trigger on Montale Red Vetyver, 100ml for $92 shipped. Id have preferred the extra concentration but nowadays, it is hard to get that and besides, $130. Anyway, I dont say that Montale is a vetiver-dominant scent. I get a feeling of warm and hot spices against maybe a vetiver background, but the rootiness or earthy/grassy quality of the Vetiver is not there, and not front and center.

I also ordered the Dior. Splurged, in that $230 for 250ml is a lot of money, but still less than $1.00 per ounce. I know, who needs that much juice. But I have pared down and now have only 4 bottles. Heck, my Chanel Coromandel is 200 ml and is about 60% full after two years. The Dior is a fresh take and I get a little bit of a green grassy vibe, but no smoke like Sycamore (which would be fine but it did not last 4 hours or so on me) and certainly not inky like Encre Noire, a total scrubber. Sel de Vetiver was possible and the Vetiver Extrraordinare was too pricy.

I think the DIor will be my all summer casual to nonsuit dressy scent for the late Spring to early fall scent.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Anyone have any opinions on the vetyver from Santa Maria Novella???

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Bargepole wrote:... initial rooty blast of the Giant Honkweed is really fine --
Honkweed? I don't find this with Google. A typo perhaps or just obscure?
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

MaxP wrote:
Bargepole wrote:... initial rooty blast of the Giant Honkweed is really fine --
Honkweed? I don't find this with Google. A typo perhaps or just obscure?
I made it up. "Honk" is slang for a powerful odour. Seemed appropriate. (Just think, every single word we use has been made up by someone, originally. Like jokes, and folk songs. Spooky thought.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I suspect this imaginary weed smells rather like Giant Hogweed. Once you have smelled that, you will bear the rash on your skin for years. Yes, it has even invaded NS.

My ideal walk as a small child was to take a stick and chop all the smaller relatives of the umbelliferous hogweed - called cow parsley - that I could hit. Good fun, therapeutic and all that. In NS the only common umbellifera is Queen Anne's Lace, and as Ann Boleyn is not the queen in question it would probably be un-subjectly of me to strike off her head.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Honkweed! lol

I was on the pole. Hook, line and sinker.

Dr: No such royalty respect here in the states. "Off with her head!"
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

drmoss_ca wrote:Michael is one of those few people who can, and deserve, to make a living with a pen. Buy his books and feed him!............

Chris
Guilty of changing the subject.

May we see a list of the books he has authored?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bywater

I need to find a copy of his The Chronicles of Bargepole.
Ron
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Most impressive.
Thank you.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, thank you. I was wondering. Hey Michael.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Revisiting. Wanting a summer time vetiver, casual, fun, those days when I go to the office and will be out running errands in either khakis or even shorts. First thing on Saturday morning or a quick touch before going to a BBQ Saturday night.

Some thoughts rolling around my head:

Terre D' Hermes - that orange and flint note at the top end, got compliments when I wear it

Guerlain Leau Boise : vetiver and mint? It is said to be light

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - liked it, more citrus/lemon that grass

Comme des Garcons Vettiveru: nice, fleeting, cheap but hard to find now

Guerlain Vetiver - maybe too heavy or formal?

Givenchy Vetyver: same as with Guerlain?

Anyone comment on any of these?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Sam, as you know, I've been round and round on the vetiver merry-go-round. I have loved many but stuck with a few.

Givenchy was reformulated, and the longevity is awful. The deep, nutty base note is virtually nonexistent.

As you know, I love Vettiveru, but if longevity is no good on you, then maybe a no-go.

Guerlain is, for me, not too heavy or formal. I like it as a Saturday frag. The drydown with the tobacco does get rich, but I don't mind.

Tom Ford is like the Guerlain minus the tobacco note, and other than Vettiveru sounds to me the most like what you're describing that you want.

Terre d'Hermes will always have a special place in my heart and is a compliment-getter...I've always wound up selling it, though. Don't know why, but I tire of it, I guess.

Another to consider: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Racine. Bit citrus, some oakmoss, and a vetiver note throughout. White, clean musk at the base. Maybe like a deeper Vettiveru, but pricier.

Let me know if you try the Guerlain. Guerlain Homme Intense and Homme L'Eau Boisee are on my to-try list.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I hear you on the TdH. Bought it and sold it, same as with Grey Vetiver

Racine, the white musk, that reminds me of Acqua di Parma Essenza, that white musk note. Don't think I would like it.

Cant find Vettiveru. If I could and it was still cheap, I am on it.

So Guerlain L'Eau Boisee, Vettiveru and Grey Vetiver it seems like.

Another one. Mugler Cologne - trying to reimagine how I felt about this. Soapy, but that may not be a bad thing. Creed original vetiver, maybe but for the price, Mugler gives the same effect

yeah, thinking it is one of those four. and then TdH or AdP Colonia for something else.
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

I very recently purchased Guerlain Vetiver. I do not have any experience with vetiver at all, except for a few samples some time ago. I find the Guerlain very nice for a summer scent, economical, and I am very satisfied with it. Even bought a tub of Fine vetiver shaving soap and Fine Green Vetiver Aftershave to complete the suite. Very nice! Did just pull out my sample of Floris Vetiver; too bad that was discontinued.
John
pausted

Post by pausted »

After all the talk, I bought a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver EdT. I’m one who normally avoids cologne in favor of aftershave splashes but I have to say the Guerlain Vetiver is a great scent and I’m glad to have it. Two squirts on my chest before putting on my shirt and I’m good to go. I like it a lot!
Best regards,

Basil
FireDragon76

Post by FireDragon76 »

Pure vetiver oil is inexpensive, and like patchouli, it doesn't necessarily need anything else with it. Good, quality vetiver has an earthy aroma similar to patchouli without the floral notes. I use it alot in an aromatherapy diffuser, and it's great for creating a meditative atmosphere.