Poor Man's After Shaves

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Ouchmychin

Poor Man's After Shaves

Post by Ouchmychin »

I know the cheap aftershave lotions are not popular here, but I must admit my day to day weekday lotions all fit into that category. Thought I would list my options for rotation and see if others do something similar or list their preferences;
Here it is:
Mennen Skin Bracer
Aqua Velva
Old Spice
Booster June Clover
Booster Mosswood
Pinaud Eau de Portugal
Master Iceland Breeze
Master Lilac Vegetol
Master Bay Rum
Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Superior 70 Bay Rum
I use a couple of others but not often and they cost more.
For special occasions I have Woods of Windsor, Matchebelli New Musk, and Krampert's Bay Rum
Add to those a couple of balms and you have my collection. :oops:
Ouchmychin (Pete)
rsp1202

Re: Poor Man's After Shaves

Post by rsp1202 »

The Superior 70 was a good bay rum, but I finally caved and spent the extra dough on some more expensive versions that are totally worth it. My day-to-day for the longest time was Humphrey's Witch Hazel, which is unexciting, but for four bucks a bottle as an a/s and astringent, did the trick. Still looking for a sweet-spot real a/s.
Ron
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Clubman A/S??? And the scent of Clubman White Talc is compatible.
Here on the Cape the higher humidity prompts me to use a talc during
the summer and possibly year-round.
Otherwise, yours is a very complete list.
Would you like to share from which retailers you purchase the ones
not available from CVS, Walmart, or similar storefront retailers

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Pete, you probably already know that while I have a few (just a few) cheap aftershaves from a different life, Now I use Kramperts Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum or Frostbite exclusively.

A shameless plug, I know. [-X :wink:

I have some Russian Leather, and English Leather Timberline that reek and that I can't tolerate today. I probably ought to just PIF them away to get room in the cabinet. Do you want them? Available for the price of UPS ground shipping, whatever it comes to.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Pete I find some of these old favorites rather pleasant, however, as they are compounded from the cheapest of ingredients, they do not agree with everyone, and sometimes come off the wearer as cheap indeed.
Regards,
Squire
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

While I have gone through my phase with Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer and the like I find each of the drug store varieties don't seem to hold up for me in the sense that they go a little mucky on my after a few hours especially in the summer months. There are some exceptions to the rule but in general I get better service from Thayers Witch Hazel After Shave (little green label bottle), Regular Thayers Witch Hazel and Lucido After Shave Splash (Japanese Scentless Menthol Bomb). Proraso Lozione Dopobarba, which is off the shelf all over in Italy works okay, Superior 70 works all the time as does Dominica Lime Bay Rum.

I much prefer to get my scent for the day from a EDT or EDC which does not go funky on me after a few hours.

Luckily none of my favorite after shaves break the bank.
Good shaving,

Gary
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I guess I am not that concerned by scent. Otherwise I would never use some of mine. My theory is to use up anything I try, with the exception being Pinaud Reserve which I found to be loud and strongly root beer in scent. I use it as a bathroom deodorant by pouring a dose in the toilet occasionally. I got a lot of these online by googling names I read about in these forums. Don't know where some came from but I used to get Booster and Frazer products out of Canada before one of our local advertizers started carrying them. Got Masters products directly from Master Well Comb barber supply on the net. New Musk I picked up on a counter at Big Lots.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Araner

Post by Araner »

I’ve always had a place on the shelf for Aqua Velva Classic ice Blue and Aqua Velva Musk. I was a big fan of Mennen Skin Bracer until they reformulated it and took out the hydrogenated castor oil and replaced it with polyglycol. I tried to like Brut, Old Spice and Pinaud Clubman but eventually the scents just nauseated me. I really like the scent of Clubman’s Virgin Island Bay Rum Splash; it’s too bad that when actually applied to my freshly shaven face the burn is beyond belief (I think plutonium is one of the ingredients). Currently I pretty much just use Mandom’s Lucido aftershave; it’s clear, refreshing and scentless. When I follow it with a spritz of Caswell-Massey Lime cologne I’m as happy as can be.

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

ShadowsDad wrote:A shameless plug, I know. [-X :wink:
Quite. I'm supposed to give you a formal warning for that. Then when you do it again the rules say I am supposed to ban you. Given that I am quite sure you have much more sense than Giovanni or Leisureguy, I know I won't need to do that. :whistle:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, yes, I can't make Old Spice work for me (makes me nauseous), except the Vintage Fresh LIme, which is surprisingly modern and as the name says, fresh. There are some of the Vitos aftershaves that aren't bad. I occasionally splash on some Superior 70 Mentholated, and it quickly disappears. I've never been a big fan of aftershaves, but sometimes nowadays, just because I have them, I use Clubman and Virgin Island Bay Rum. (Sometimes as in almost every day.) Boosters, in my opinion is disappointing because they are so mildly scented that there is no smell at all, immediately upon having splashed them on. I would have bought Domenico Caracini had it not been discontinued, because it was very good, not just because I say it was, but because all of the reviews I read online were giving it good rankings. Don't believe everything you see on the internet, except cologne reviews, right? And I do have a bottle of English Fern aftershave, for emergency use only.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Is Vintage Fresh Lime an Old Spice scent? If so was it a Shulton product or something Proctor and Gamble put out when they bought the line. I tried one of the new shower gels that they brought out as Old Spice and was not impressed.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, I didn't mean to capitalize the V in vintage, my mistake. It's just an old bottle of the Fresh Lime, made by Shulton. Here's a picture of it. Sorry for the poor lighting. This stuff still pops up on ebay every so often.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

brothers wrote:Pete, I didn't mean to capitalize the V in vintage, my mistake. It's just an old bottle of the Fresh Lime, made by Shulton. Here's a picture of it. Sorry for the poor lighting. This stuff still pops up on ebay every so often.

Old Spice Lime was great product, i wish that P&G would resurrect it. On second thought, no doubtl P&G would screw that scent up. They seem to be trying to turn the Old Spice brand into the next Axe body spray.

BTW, some members have said that both Caswell-Massey's Lime (if you can still find it) and Col Conk Lime both bear a resemblance to the vintage Old Spice Lime.
Cheers,

Craig
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks for the tip Brothers, I went to ebay immediately and snagged a brand new bottle in box for $10 including shipping. Pretty lucky.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

SWEET!!! Congrats Pete. Way to go. :D
Gary