Recommend shaving bowls?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
acsenray

Recommend shaving bowls?

Post by acsenray »

My hot, wet shaving process is almost complete.

1. I start with a shaving brush warmer/hydrator— Vulfix shaving mug (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

2. Hot shower

3. Then I oil — Art of Shaving pre-shave oil (http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Shave-Oil-...of+shaving+oil)

4. Then soap up the brush — http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Shavin...f+shaving+bowl

I need two things for the next step:

5. A bowl to lather up the soap. I tried Art of Shaving and the Grooming Lounge and what I found seemed too small — http://www.groominglounge.com/shavin...ving-bowl.htmlhttp://www.groominglounge.com/shavin...ving-bowl.html — I need something with a little more room to swish around in. I like the look of this — http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Shave-...having+scuttle — but it also seems small

6. A bowl for hot water to rinse/dip my razor between strokes — This should be a little bigger — I wonder should I use just any old porcelain bowl?

So can anyone help me with steps 5 and 6?
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Recommend shaving bowls?

Post by jww »

There is only one solution in my opinion ---- a Moss Scuttle.

I own a classic in the small size and it's perfect -- but I face lather. If you build your lather in a bowl, you may want either the large size or a matching scuttle and bowl.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gene

Post by Gene »

I went to Walmart and picked up a Pyrex bowl...it is called a berry bowl. Not too big, not too small. Pretty affordable, too.

It works very well for me, but I seem to recall people getting really nice results from bowls with some kind of texture in it, which this bowel doesn't have. It's pretty smooth inside.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
acsenray

Post by acsenray »

Thanks for the suggestions!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

As far as rinsing your razor, it depends where you are. Some people's porcelain bowl is also called "the sink". :) But if you do need or prefer something else, just make sure it's steady & secure, and has enough interior room that your razor doesn't bang on the sides. Beyond convenience, cleanliness, and safety, it doesn't matter much what type of bowl it is. (Hint if you don't want to raid the kitchen: Pet-supply shops have nice-looking stainless-steel water bowls in various sizes. The Pyrex suggestion is also good - it's simple, and built about as tough as ordinary glass can get.)

I don't use a scuttle or a lathering bowl; between passes I put my brush in a mug that I keep beside the sink for that purpose, I lather directly on my face, and rinse my razor under the tap or in the sink. (I also think shaving oil is extremely over-rated, that good lather from any good soap or cream is enough for a great shave, and that if you find you need shaving oil then probably what you really need is to make better lather - but this is all opinion, and everyone should just do what works for him.) [I know that some places recommend oil - I think they only recommend it because they happen to have some that they'd like to sell.]

One special note about lather bowls: someone mentioned texture inside - don't go too far with that. If the interior is rough or has points or a sharp edge, it will quickly damage your brush. If you want texture, go for smooth swirls or gentle ridges. Ceramic lather bowls should definitely be glazed inside.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

For number 5 I don't use a bowl, rather a very large coffee cup with a handle to grip.

Number 6 is easy, any bowl big/stable enough for the purpose will do.
Regards,
Squire
acsenray

Post by acsenray »

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll ask my wife to make me a porcelain bowl.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I face lather, but if I was in the market for a bowl of some kind, it would be a Moss Scuttle.

Gareth
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gene wrote:I went to Walmart and picked up a Pyrex bowl...it is called a berry bowl. Not too big, not too small. Pretty affordable, too.

It works very well for me, but I seem to recall people getting really nice results from bowls with some kind of texture in it, which this bowel doesn't have. It's pretty smooth inside.
My son discoved the Walmart berry bowl and told me about it. I got one at a flea market for 50 cents and have been using it for 2 or 3 years now. Recently though, I found a big wooden ashtray/bowl in my son-in-law's garage and he gave it to me after I emptied out the junk he had in it. It's now my favorite (non-scuttle) lathering bowl.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gene I've never found the need for a textured surface to make lather although the theory has a certain level of appeal. I am convinced though a smooth surface is gentler on the brush.
Regards,
Squire
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Squire wrote:Gene I've never found the need for a textured surface to make lather although the theory has a certain level of appeal. I am convinced though a smooth surface is gentler on the brush.
I was once pretty sure that the smooth surface inside a bowl couldn't matter much. Then we had obvious visual evidence from one of our members here, who had a beautiful expensive brush and had it pretty heavily damaged just by frequent lathering in a bowl that had a sharp edge inside. (I don't see the point in regular use of a bowl for lathering in, because I think it's extra work and extra time for no benefit; I do think it's a great idea for someone who's learning how to lather, or who's trying out a new soap or new brush. But there are enough people who DO see the benefit, and continue to use a bowl. So... there you go.)
brothers

Post by brothers »

The unique texture of the wooden lathering bowl (naturally rubbed finish, not highly polished) has the expected texture of a hardwood with a grain, without the need for the raised/hollowed grooves and ridges associated with a shiny glazed scuttle or bowl. Just an observation in case anyone might decide to use a wooden bowl, it'll probably work equally as well as a smooth or grooved/ridged porcelain or ceramic bowl.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

For the record a smooth, shiny glazed bowl does an excellent job.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I agree regarding the pre-shave oil, I found it to be more of a hindrance than a help. All that's needed is to make a good lather in the first place. With hard shave soaps like the one you're using I just create the lather on the surface of the soap itself and then finish the job on my face. If you want to use a bowl to build the lather any small shallow soup or cereal bowl will do. I do use such a bowl when I lather up the soft shave creams. Mine is a nice Wedgewood piece....from the 'Peter Rabbit' collection if you must know. Never mind!...it works like a charm.
Regards,
Gordon
Gene

Post by Gene »

Squire wrote:Gene I've never found the need for a textured surface to make lather although the theory has a certain level of appeal. I am convinced though a smooth surface is gentler on the brush.
Squire, I don't have any issues with getting all the lather I need with that smooth bowl either. Just remember that comment.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I never considered that the ridges found in many shave scuttles could damage a brushes tips over time. This has me a bit concerned now.
Cheers,

Craig
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've become tired of face-lathering lately so am looking around for a good bowl. I don't particularly care for all the ridges and dots and whathaveyou found on most bowls/mugs these days, so if it's true that they might in the long term damage a brush then I'm glad to have stayed away. OTOH, I don't think a subtle swirl pattern could cause much grief, and the ones on a Dirty Bird Bill Bowl or Ayars/Bonnyman Lather Bowl appear minimal while helping to produce good lather. Still, if Gordon and Squire are happy with their results, that speaks volumes. Decisions, decisions.*

*"The good news is that the night wind can always carry one more scream."
Ron
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

rsp1202 wrote:I've become tired of face-lathering lately so am looking around for a good bowl. I don't particularly care for all the ridges and dots and whathaveyou found on most bowls/mugs these days, so if it's true that they might in the long term damage a brush then I'm glad to have stayed away. OTOH, I don't think a subtle swirl pattern could cause much grief, and the ones on a Dirty Bird Bill Bowl or Ayars/Bonnyman Lather Bowl appear minimal while helping to produce good lather. Still, if Gordon and Squire are happy with their results, that speaks volumes. Decisions, decisions.*

*"The good news is that the night wind can always carry one more scream."
Ron, If I might suggest, you might start with an inexpensive oversized soup/latte mug from a discount store. Mine served me well for many years
IMG_20120915_160136.jpg
IMG_20120915_160136.jpg (341.21 KiB) Viewed 5389 times
Cheers,

Craig
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Matter of fact, Craig, that's exactly what I used when I first started wetshaving. It served the purpose until I switched over to the Moss and then a couple of Dirty Birds before finally settling on face-lathering. I'll keep eyes peeled for another one. Thanks.
Ron
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:I never considered that the ridges found in many shave scuttles could damage a brushes tips over time. This has me a bit concerned now.
I don't think bumps or ridges are a problem; the only complaint I've heard (and that one clearly legitimate) was from a guy whose bowl had a sharp edge in its interior, sharp enough or abrasive enough to actually cut the hairs in his brush. Makes me think that you'd need a pretty specific type of bowl to cause this problem.