Kai double edge blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Kai double edge blades

Post by brothers »

I've had good success with Kai's Captain Titan Mild blades in the Cobra, so I'm getting a small sample of their DE blades so I can test them out in comparison to my Personna hospital use blades. What have been your experiences with these admittedly expensive blades?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
changabang

Re: Kai double edge blades

Post by changabang »

As you say, they are high line blades (read, expensive). I find them every bit as sharp and nicky as Feathers, so I wouldn't use them in a first shave with say, the R41. I've never tried the Personna hospital blades, but I suspect you probably won't replace yours with the Kai's on a permanent basis. :)
James Nicks
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Gary, I have been using them for years, I don't find them as sharp as feathers but they can bite. In a five blade rotation I have, Gillette Spoilers, Kai, Gillette Platinum, Swedes, and Gillette Dark blue, with Personna 74's for special occasions.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, For me they seemed similiar to the Feathers but not quite as problematic. A good quality blade but not to my taste.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary my experience is they are very good, smooth, sharp, World class blades.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that I've used a Kai for the past two days, I agree with Squire. It's a remarkably well made blade. I've used it for these two days in the Muhle R41 '13 version, with the weighted Grande handle, and have had excellent shaves. I try to pay close attention to blade angle and the feel of the blade on the face, and I do three passes because that's my habit. This razor and blade make a great combo. It'll be fun to compare the Kai to the Personna hospital use blade, just because it's something that seems to keeps me interested.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just 3 days into this KAI/R41 and am liking it a lot.
Gary

Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

Hey Gary, where did you get your Kai DE blades? I was very fond of them a while back when I could get them from Dridiot. Then the supply completely dried up.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jim, at the present time, I am aware of two vendors who have them in stock. We have RazorBladesandMore, and Lee's Safety Razors. Also, you might check Amazon, I think I recall seeing them there in very limited supply.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

After 4 excellent shaves, and not interested in pushing it to the point of being a bad shave, I replaced the Kai with a fresh Personna hospital use blade. This is the second part of the comparison of the two blades. The constants are the Muhle R41 '13 and the XPEC cream. (lucky me! :D ) The winner will be me, whichever way it goes with the blades.
Gary

kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I used to buy them from a B&B user who went by the name Aneurysm. I think his real name was Jeremy. He sells Feathers and other "high-end" blades, as well. His prices were very reasonable.

I haven't used a Kai blade in a long time, but I remember enjoying them when I had them.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Kai vs. Personna hospital use: I used a Kai blade for 4 shaves with the Muhle R41, followed by 4 shaves with a Personna hospital use blade. I don't know what results I was expecting, but am very happy with the result. The Kai started out with something I'd describe as a very slight hint of an aggressive feel on the first shave. And the following shaves were just as close and smooth as I'd hoped for, but without any of the slightly sharp feel of the first shave. The Personna hospital use blade performed flawlessly, and all 4 shaves were every bit as smooth and close, without any of the minor sharpness I felt on shave one with the Kai. I insist on a very close and smooth shave every time, and that's why I've gone through a lot of different razors and blades in the past few years. My judgment, with the R41 razor, is that these two blades are identical in performance over the course of 4 3-pass shaves. Next: The same 2-blade comparison as used with the Barbasol Floating head razor. The result of this test will be of extreme interest to me because I love the Barbasol.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Good luck with the experiment Gary. I wasnt a big fan of the kai blade when i tried them......more than likely they are great blades, it probably was a case of not meeting the 'hype' that was swirling around when i tried them. I also thought the hospital blades were terrible when i first tried them. Skip forward 4-5 years and now I think they are the best blades evahhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Have not gotten around to trying Kai blades yet
razorhead63

Post by razorhead63 »

Kais are good blades, like some of the others noted, my first shave with them was a little rough...It smoothed out a bit on the following shaves.... Decent blades but I still prefer my Personna Med Preps, I get more shaves and smoother shaves from them.... .than from the Kais.....

John
brothers

Post by brothers »

About two weeks ago, Royal Shave sent me a promotional email announcing their deal of the week. It turned out they had received a new shipment of Kai DE blades, and were selling them at an attractive reduced price for a limited time, so I snagged a goodly supply of them, just so I could have them on hand, as a backup or alternative to my favorite Personna hospital use or "prep" blades. Free shipping made it a very good deal. Sometimes it pays to read the promotional emails.
Gary

shmuel

Post by shmuel »

After 8 months of experiment, Kai is my favorite blade. I find them smoother and longer lasting than Feather. I get 5-6 comfortable BBS shaves with my Merkur 37 C (slant). I highly recommend anyone to try them. Of course, with blades, YMMV
brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up to say I'm still using the Kai blades, alongside the Personna hospital use, the Gillette Super Stainless, and the Gillette Swede blades. These blades have proven to be perfect for my razors and my whiskers.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The most recent Kai blade gave up 6 very good shaves in the Rocket HD500 razor. This razor/blade combo is one of the best matches I've experienced in a long time.
Gary