Razor MD Sandalwood Post Shave Lotion

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
John N.

Razor MD Sandalwood Post Shave Lotion

Post by John N. »

Anyone familiar with this line? Nordstrom's carries it, and Razor MD has an interesting site. Is this the real deal, or is it all about marketing? I am particularly interested in their Sandalwood post shave lotion.
J.
John N.
BrianBeliever

Re: Razor MD Sandalwood Post Shave Lotion

Post by BrianBeliever »

Yes, been using Razor MD for years, great brand! Being from NYC, I've known them for years but they've always been kinda underground if you will but in a good way. They're known for their hard-goods in east coast barbershops and apothecaries but now the Founders great-grandson has really taken the line to a whole new level. A few years ago it seems he re-introduced his families soft-good formulas to round out the line. Now they have a Pre-shave Oil, Shave Cream, Post Shave Lotion (in 3 flavors; Natural UnScented, Herbal Blend & Essential Sandalwood) that's made in their families lab in South Florida. In fact i heard a rumor and believe it to be true, Razor MD's lab was lab that made all the AOS products (minus shave cream) for 12+ years prior to P&G acquiring AOS. However Razor MD retail prices are lower, offer more ounces per product and they a very eco-friendly company so not heavy in unnecessary packaging and stuff. Seems they're expanding distribution but doing it very selectively....in NY i see Razor MD @ Barney's NY, Nordstrom, Beauty.comdrugstore.com, WestCoastShaving, Mankind.co.uk, New London Pharmacy, RoyalShave.com, Kennedy's Barber Clubs, etc.

Sorry for ranting on, they also unique collaborations such as their Popeye Shave Collection. The products are their Sandalwood products with a slight tweak but dressed in original artwork created by Popeye artists. Comes as bundle; 8oz shave cream, 4 oz post shave lotion, 2 oz pre-shave oil, in a tin can and with a vintage, original Popeye Poster from cartoon "The Clean Shaven Man". Makes excellent gift for any gent! Obviously I highly recommend this brand!:)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Brian, Thanks for the informative post and welcome to SMF!
Regards,
Gordon
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I never cared much for the AOS creams, if Razor md was making it, then that would keep me away from Razor md. Welcome Brian, very detailed post there, right down to the distribution and product proportions.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Brian, thanks for contributing to SMF in such an informative way in your very first post! Welcome. I think I might go check out the Popeye stuff, just to see what's happening. Best regards,
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Brian, good post, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Squire wrote:Hey Brian, good post, welcome aboard.
What Squire said!
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
BrianBeliever

Post by BrianBeliever »

Thnx everyone, happy to be here and glad you read my post!
BrianBeliever

Post by BrianBeliever »

Thank You Gents, glad to be here!
BrianBeliever

Post by BrianBeliever »

Marty, good points about not liking AOS much, me either. What i did like of theirs was the pre-shave oil and when I referred to Razor MD's lab being lab that made AOS, it was the pre-shave oil & after/post shave products not the shave creams. I heard AOS & eShave (brother & sister owners) both had shave creams made at same place in England until they had a slight falling out. Guess eShave (Danielle Malka) was jealous that AOS (Eric Malka) was able to sell to P&G and she wasn't....haha Razor MD's post shave lotion is great, not thick or oily, good for all skin types and amazing ingredients. The Pre-shave oil is similar to AOS except Razor MD is supposedly adding a warming agent to formula. So when rub and apply pre-shave, it will heat up to mimic a hot towel shave which i think is cool. Also their 2 oz pre shave oil is far cheaper then AOS pre-shave oil.
BrianBeliever

Post by BrianBeliever »

Gary, het thnx for post! Yes, the Popeye Shave Collection is very cool & fun, would be a great way to get acquainted with the brand. From what I've read and believe from using it, It's by-enlarge the Razor MD sandalwood set of products, all full size (pre-shave oil-2oz, shave cream-8oz & post shave lotion 4oz) dressed in original Popeye artwork hand drawn by Hearst/King features artists and comes in a cool vintage Tin Can with same Popeye themed artwork. I believe it's sold at Nordstrom.com, royal shave, west coast shaving, shaving edge, drugstore.com and numerous others. Its a cool idea and in limited edition gift sets makes more people pay attn to wet-shaving in my opinion so Kudos to the creative minds at Razor MD.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Brian, Yes, the owners of AOS and eShave were brother and sister and both originally got into all this by being salespeople for Toby Weller-Pooly who was, at that time, the US distributor for Trumpers and Simpson products. The AOS shave cream was indeed made in England. It was weird; during the latter phase of the company, anyway, the cream was shipped in bulk to the US, packaged here, and then some was shipped back to England to be sold at prices well above those of T&H and Trumpers. And some English gents would buy it....never made sense to me. The hard shave soap was made in Italy, almost certainly by Valobra. But, as you say, the pre and post shave products could well have been made by this company in Florida. I'd not heard of them so thanks again for your post.
Regards,
Gordon