Tell me again; what's wrong with Dial?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
John N.

Tell me again; what's wrong with Dial?

Post by John N. »

I've used many fine soaps over the years (still do), but in the warmer months I generally move Dial soap (Spring Water scent) into the rotation. It always lathers well, rinses clean and easy (unlike Dove), smells pleasant and generally does the job it is supposed to do at a small fraction of the cost of it's more exalted brethren. The Spring Water bar is very slightly drying if you use it on your face, which I do not...much like the minor tightness one might notice after a shave with any number of fine shave soaps. Dial also makes an Aloe bar that is slightly moisturizing and still rinses well. I have no unusual skin issues with Dial or any other soap for that matter. It's a winner for me, and a great choice for the summer.
J.
John N.
Ken

Re: Tell me again; what's wrong with Dial?

Post by Ken »

I don't know that there is anything wrong with Dial now. But, originally, it contained hexachlorophene, a product that was ultimately banned from the consumer market. The slogan was "It's the hexachlorophene in Dial that does it."

Ken
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

A few years ago Dial "shaved" the center part of the bar back, obviously as a cost-cutting measure, though they claimed it was to make the bar easier to hold (so their customer service people told me). Consequently, the bar doesn't last as long as it once did and comes apart well before it's used up. So I switched to their cheaper Basic bar (3-pack for a buck), which is already small when you get it but which actually lasts as long (if not longer) than their full-size bars.
Ron
John N.

Post by John N. »

Ron
I have not found the new "shaped" bar to disappear or come apart more quickly than the old. May be wrong, but I think the old and new bars weigh the same. When I first saw the new bar, I assumed it was designed to keep the contact between the soap and the dish or shower ledge to a minimum...creating less soap sludge and extending the life of the bar.

Ken
Ahh...hexa, hexa...hexachlorophene...kept me bright , shiny & bacteria free during the grimy 60s. After all, if you only intend to bathe prior to a Love-In, you need the strong stuff :wink: .
J.

CORRECTION: The new bars are indeed smaller than the old, but have not had one come apart on me yet. Perhaps that's in my future...still like the product, and it is inexpensive.
John N.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Maybe I was deluded by the advertising, but the "old" Dial (w/hexac...) did the job for me, especially when
working in NYC, when my morning shower was at 5 a.m. and workdays lasted til past 7 p.m., and the long
commute got me home around 9 p.m.
What long-term effects will eventually attack me isn't clear. A dermatologist recently recommended Dove or
Basis soaps for the shower. but she admitted something stronger was permitted underarm and "South of the
Border."
In retirement, a strong anti-bacterial shower soap is no longer needed; if it were, apparently there are few
few such products from which to choose nowadays.
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've been bar-soap hopping again, switching between Safeguard with Aloe, Palmolive, and the just-finished Stirling artisan soap. Their Sharp Dressed Man tallow bar (Green Irish Tweed scent) was a nice change of pace, but the hard water here wouldn't allow it to lather up too well. Next on the list, I've been eyeing this manufacturer, http://www.herbariasoap.com, and their vegan bay rum bar for starters. After that comes Nancy Boy's old familiar Sweetgrass and Signature. I'm still peeved at Dial but will probably try their White bar again eventually. I just can't seem to settle on any one thing.
Ron
John N.

Post by John N. »

rsp1202 wrote: I just can't seem to settle on any one thing.
Hmmm...That certainly has a familiar ring to it. Just to add to the chaos, I'm breaking in two new terrific soaps (when not using the Dial this month): Meehan's Sandalwood (Bonny Doon Farm), and a Rampal Latour 150 gr. round with an amazing scent ( Cologne Grapefruit) that I picked up in Sonoma last week at a brick and mortar.
J.
Last edited by John N. on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
John N.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, This stuff is all ultimately individual specific; like some here love the Feather DE blades but others ( like me ) find them invariably irritating to the skin. Like most Americans I used soaps like Dial for years and years but my skin never felt that great after a shower. Starting in the early '80s I began showering every day and then it really became obvious that the soaps I was using did not much agree with my skin. It got increasingly dryish and sometimes noticeably irritated. These type soaps were made to be 'strong' and often included anti-bacterial chemicals and/or deodorants. They were too much for my skin. After some experimentation I tried the soaps from C&E ( at that time made by Mettler in Switzerland and tallow based ) and, eureka!...a whole other experiance. From then on I used only high quality triple milled tallow based soaps if at all possible. They are what work for me, but we're all different.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

bernards66 wrote:John, This stuff is all ultimately individual specific; like some here love the Feather DE blades but others ( like me ) find them invariably irritating to the skin. Like most Americans I used soaps like Dial for years and years but my skin never felt that great after a shower. Starting in the early '80s I began showering every day and then it really became obvious that the soaps I was using did not much agree with my skin. It got increasingly dryish and sometimes noticeably irritated. These type soaps were made to be 'strong' and often included anti-bacterial chemicals and/or deodorants. They were too much for my skin. After some experimentation I tried the soaps from C&E ( at that time made by Mettler in Switzerland and tallow based ) and, eureka!...a whole other experiance. From then on I used only high quality triple milled tallow based soaps if at all possible. They are what work for me, but we're all different.
Regards,
Gordon
+1

Modern soaps have a drying effect on me as well. Been using traditional soaps now for years with great benefit. For the nether regions I talc with an antibacterial talc (Stephan's) and that keeps everything dry and fresh.

Chris
John N.

Post by John N. »

Gordon
You are correct in that different products appeal to different people for different reasons. Putting it more succinctly; YMMV. I have found that the current version of Dial works well for me during the dog days of summer for the reasons I stated above. Of course if someone has an allergy or some other reaction to a particular product; they should steer clear. Makes sense to me.
I agree with Chris that most modern soaps are drying to one degree or another; regardless of being tallow or palm based (IMNSHO). I am lucky not to have dry skin, so that is a non issue for me.... though I do use a light ASB (Clinique PSH or it's like) in the winter months at times; usually after a shave soap shave.
J.
Last edited by John N. on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
John N.
lanolite

Post by lanolite »

Maybe it should be noted that Dial hasn't used hexacholraphene since 1972.

According to the always-reliable Wikipedia, hexachlorapene was suspected of being a carcinogen, but was cleared in 1978 after a study by the National Institute of Health. It is legal to use in the US, but only as a prescription.

I was looking this up because I recently got a lot of 5 Colgate "Beauty Bars" from 1956, with hexacloraphene and lanolin, the labels say. The stuff still works great. And I love doing an end-run around the nanny state. :D
John N.

Post by John N. »

And I love doing an end-run around the nanny state. :D[/quote]

+1
J.
John N.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

John N. wrote:And I love doing an end-run around the nanny state. :D
+1
J.[/quote]
+2

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

On hexachloraphene ,I remember the story well.I had been using Mennen deodorant for years,great stuff,great scent...then in Europe,a talc manufacturer put too much Hexa in the talc and a baby died from the toxicity.They pulled it out of all cosmetics immediately,and all of a sudden my Mennen started failing on me,it simply no longer worked.Took them many years to get a decent formula sans the hex....
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Modern Dial, like all products advertised as ant-bacterial, contains trichloban. This has been found to be a health hazard. I saw an article somewhere describing a nationwide warning to avoid all such product, even for hand washing. I used to really be into them, especially for dish washing because it prevented the smelly dish cloths that come from bacterial growth in damp cloths left wadded up in the kitchen. I used to use Colgate Total toothpaste because it was advertised as preventing gum disease. No more. I now buy bath and hand soaps only at the local dollar tree store and have found some real winners for a very low price. Surprisingly, one was Cashmere Boquet which I recall my mom using in the 1930's.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I don't care for the scents of the Yardley bath soaps sold in drugstores, but Cashmere Bouquet, Palmolive and Dial Basics have all been good low-cost alternatives available at the local 99 Cent store. It's been harder to avoid the triclosan in liquid hand soaps.
Ron