Urban Beardsman

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Urban Beardsman

Post by brothers »

According to the ultimate authority on everything, (Facebook, what else?) The new fad for males is that we are now required to grow a full beard and to call ourselves the Urban Beardsmen.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JRTASTER

Re: Urban Beardsman

Post by JRTASTER »

This month' s PLAYBOY had a feature article on grooming and facial hair. What little I was able to read before the barber
called me, didn't espouse full beards but seemed to concentrate on that scraggly 2-3 day's growth of facial hair now
apparently popular with actors, male models, athletes and entertainers.
I'm due back at the barber in the next 10 days and maybe I'll be able to read more, if someone hasn't ripped off the
barbershop's copy...right after I check out the centerfold!
I'll be looking to see what Gillette/Braun products are worked into the story.
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Ugh, fads!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Well, I've worn a beard for over forty years. I keep it short and neatly trimmed, I shape it a bit at the cheek, and I shave my neck.

Urban has nothing to do with it, in my case. I live in a small rural town and I have had it when I lived in other small towns, the Brazilian Amazon, and the city.

In my opinion, a man should honor the fact that he grows whiskers by letting at least some of them show in groomed form.

- Murray
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I've gone through stages in life where I have been clean shave, had a mustache, a full beard and a goatee. Currently in a clean shaven stage and plan on remaining that way. Do go without a daily shave sometimes. Just too lazy to shave I guess.

John brings up an interesting point about the current state of facial hair growth that I see on celebrities. The 2-3 day growth. I do not like it unless they are caught by paparazzi that way. But guys going to events or doing the talk shows on tv and doing so with that scraggily look really is not what I like to see. While I may miss a shave for a couple days in arow if I am going out somewhere for dinner or shopping etc. I will shave, even if it is just a quick one pass shave.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

no comments from me other than to say that it seems as just as much work, if not more, to keep a 2 day 'he' man looking beard than it is to be clean shaven

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Clive, you're right. It takes just as much work to maintain a well-groomed beard as it does to shave.

Since I groom a beard and shave, I may actually spend more time at it. When I originally grew the beard, over 40 years ago, the idea was low upkeep. At that time, I didn't shave my neck and I just gave the beard the occasional brushing. Now, it's all neatly groomed and I just do what I need to for the look I want. The beard is too much a part of me now, so I wouldn't consider shaving it off.

- Murray
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Murray, after 40 years I guess your beard isn't a fad!
At various times a beard intrigued me. but I worked for many years in uptight companies which sold men's shaving
and grooming items, so...
Then as a LEO beards, except for medical or documented religious reasons, were verboten
Now that there are no constraints of any kind, a beard is no longer fancied.
Ain't that life??
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

LOL, I always imagine the rocker/actor types shaving on day 3 and then going into hiding for two days until their 2 day old beard looked just right for publik consumption! :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Like the characters in Miami Vice from a few decades ago. Scruffy was cool. The pendulum swings back and forth, doesn't it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Still working on mine.

Fad or not, you should see how hard I'm trying to care.

:D
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

"Urban Beardsman", the GQ unshaven look, etc. all seem very juvenile and slothful to me.
Bryan
95%

Post by 95% »

Murray's right: it's all about trimming, shaping, and tending whatever facial hair a man wishes to display. I have a mustache only, which nevertheless requires some attention each day so that it doesn't become unruly. I very much eschew the scruffy look and admire a gent like Ben Bernanke who sports a carefully trimmed beard.
Porter
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Two words.

Nickelson Wooster.
dosco

Post by dosco »

I wear a goatee...my facial hair isn't very dense, so when I grow it out it looks pretty ratty.

Therefore I keep my goatee quite short, probably about 1/8" to 3/16". I have to trim it about every 3rd or 4th day to keep it under control. I use one of the larger electric clippers (I forget what brand) with a guard.

I will go for the clean shave periodically, but interestingly my wife doesn't care for that look. Go figure.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

My own prejudice towards the full beard, "I just gave up on life" look, can be summed up thus:

Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic