New shaving soap from Penhaligons

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

New shaving soap from Penhaligons

Post by brothers »

Sartorial fragrance. Comes in a dark wooden bowl. Supposed to be a fougere. After obtaining this information, I read the review of the fragrance on Basenotes. The soap is available right now only from the Pen's UK store, and apparently not available through Penhaligon's USA store. The best part of the information I read was that it is a new formula and it lathers very well. Time will tell . . .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
joe mcclaine

Re: New shaving soap from Penhaligons

Post by joe mcclaine »

Very difficult for me to get excited about this. Their reputation with regards to their soaps is shot to pieces.

They would be better off launching creams in tubs with Sartorial fragrance. Some of the others too, come to that.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I'm with Joe on this. It's just hard to believe Penhaligon's is going to do a turnaround on their shaving soap quality so fast. What manufacturer these days isn't beholden to the hive mind of political correctness?

Chris
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Unless Penhaligon's have ended their contract with Soapworks this new soap will be just as awful as their current BB & EF soaps (and the current Trumper soaps).
Cheers,

Craig
brothers

Post by brothers »

Because of the damage to their reputation they caused themselves, even if they have or eventually do resolve the problem, everyone is going to take a pass on such an expensive product for a very long time. I have read reports that both Blenheim Bouquet and English Fern (in addition to the new fragrance) have also been (very recently) reformulated once again, and are reported to lather and not disappear. We all know that sometimes glowing reports are erroneous. Let's wait until one of us who has both the means and the credibility to buy and use the new stuff and then to accurately report on it comes along. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Indeed. It would take some truly glowing reports from members I respect here to make me reconsider the Penhaligon's hard soaps. I'm just curious, from wench are this reports of improvement that you mention coming from?
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gordon, I've just spent some time checking over at TSN and B&B. It seems that the news is pretty good. A few of the members over there are posting photos of the lather, at the request of the others who are trying to remain properly sceptical and circumspect, until it appears that the news is satisfactorily confirmed.

They are saying things such as "equal or better than Harris", "scent a bit stronger than Harris", "the new formulation also covers the Floris soaps", "explodes with lather", "includes Blenheim Bouquet, Sartorial, and also English Fern", "BB and Sartorial come in the faux mahogany dark wooden bowls, but EF only comes in pucks", "personnel at Pens UK and USA confirm by telephone that all soaps have now been reformulated". . . . .

There are numerous threads at TSN and a few at B&B discussing this news. A few of the early doubters seem to be caving in and buying these new soaps.
Gary

kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I saw the same glowing reports at some of the other sites. The guy who started the thread is a wetshaver that is well known on another forum and has a good reputation. There were also some lather photos that looked pretty good (I know it's impossible to truly judge the quality of a lather by a photo, but I think it's pretty easy to see when the lather is really BAD by looking at a photo).
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
Bugsy

Post by Bugsy »

I bought the fragrance home from my last visit to London in June, and must say I love it. I'm in for trying the soap.
Bugsy
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Bugsy wrote:I bought the fragrance home from my last visit to London in June, and must say I love it. I'm in for trying the soap.
That's the spirit.

Take one for the team.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Hmmm.....encouraging. Since I only participate here and therefore only 'know' the members here I will await conformation from SMFers whose judgement I trust. Since we seem to know ( thank you Craig ) that Floris still basically makes their own shave soap and since this new Penhaligon's formula is compared with, or mentioned with, Floris, I wonder if, perhaps, Penhaligon's dropped Soapworks and went back to Floris as a supplier? Just a thought.
Regards,
Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

If anyone knows a source to order this from that delivers to a USA address please let me know.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, I emailed English Shaving Co. and asked if they can order it and send it to me. She responded that they hope to get it and when they do they will email me. That's the best I could do, so far.
Gary

fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Thanks Gary.
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Sartorial shave soap now available for shipment to USA: http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... 0,1%7C1%7C
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Chris. It wasn't on there a couple of days ago when I last checked. I'd bet the non-UK retailers who have placed orders will also be receiving theirs soon.
Gary

shmuel

Post by shmuel »

My sister in law brought me a bowl of Sartorial from the Penhaligon shop in London. I never used their older soaps but I do use D.R. Harris Arlington. This lathers at least as well ( only used it once so far) and the scent is nice. I am not sure it justifies the price - much higher than Harris - maybe it will be cheaper when it becomes widely available, but it is definitely a top tier soap.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have received information from Charlotte at The English Shaving Shop regarding the Penhaligon's soaps. They do have stock of Sartorial and Blenheim Bouquet in the dark wooden bowls, and are shipping to USA. I had also asked about English Fern, and she indicates they no longer stock English Fern because they can't get it from Penhaligon's. Do we read something significant into this? Both the Fern and Sartorial are described as Fougere. For those among us who might not often follow other shaving boards, there are some who are comparing Sartorial lather to Harris, and it seems those fellows are of the opinion the lathers from Sartorial are equal or a bit more rich and slick. Just a heads-up. In a few weeks I'm sure most of us who've been curious about these developments will have educated ourselves and each other as to the merits of this new high-end soap and the latest reformulation of Penhaligon's soaps (and others?).
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, well, there is shmuel's post just above your own which says the same. I dunno. It's certainly encouraging to hear that, apparently, Penhaligon's have done something about how dismal their hard shave soaps had become. But, for me, even if it is now as good as some are saying, well, it's still way more expensive than the Harris's and I doubt that the Sartorial scent would be up my alley. I like Blenheim Bouquet but not as much as I liked the English Fern and if this new soap is still not going to be available in the EF scent than I will not be that tempted....not unless I could get the BB slightly used from a member here at a noticeable discount. I also await more input from experienced members here who I 'know'.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

No English Fern?! Pity, I guess I won't be trying the new formula.

Chris