DEEP SKIN CLEANSING MASKS

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
JRTASTER

DEEP SKIN CLEANSING MASKS

Post by JRTASTER »

Years ago Revlon marketed a very effective leave-on clay mask. Orange-red in color it dried (in about 20 minutes) to
a firm tan film. It easily removed blackheads and seemed to reduce pore size. It was cheap, readily available, easy to
use and for me effective....so of course it was discontinued.
Recently tried Baxter's of CA Clay Mask and was hardly overwhelmed with the results. My oily/combo skin tends to have
large pores and unsightly blackheads on the nose and cheeks are not uncommon. Baxter's didn't seem to help with either.
Have seen the QED clay mask powder, but unless it is truly fabulous, can't see myself mixing up a batch...looks too messy
and time consuming. I could be convinced otherwise though!
You might well ask why at 72, I feel the need for a mask...I have no answer other than "because."
Anyone have an effective, available product to recommend??
Thanks,
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
rsp1202

Re: DEEP SKIN CLEANSING MASKS

Post by rsp1202 »

John, I've read good reviews of the QED green clay mask when mixed with their Da Vinci Water hydrosol. I don't have personal experience with the QED mix, only masks in general, and while they are time consuming, the idea is to kick back and enjoy the xx-minutes of downtime once or twice a week and not rush it. They're an excellent tool for clearing the complexion and scaring little children.
Ron
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Ron,
Who said I need help in scaring children?? Even frightened the dog one time
Yes the mask can be relaxing; may end up trying the QEDMan green clay, tho it sounds like
more work and mess than ideal!
john
jr/John
emilymartin

Post by emilymartin »

One of my favorite things to do is create my own fruit masks with organic fruits. Making your own skincare is so easy and fun to do. Whether you are looking for homemade facial masks that provide moisture, reduces the appearance of wrinkles or tightens up the jaw line, making a homemade mask is so easy. I have made fruit mask and anti aging mask at home.
Emily Martin
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Emily,
Well thanks and welcome to SMF
Not tat you're likely to soon find me working up batches
of skincare products, but your post intrigues me.
Can you be a bit more specific as to what ingredients
and "tools" would be needed to concoct a clay-based
cleansing mask??
Many thanks,
jr/John
jr/John
eyebright

Post by eyebright »

Not Emily but all you need for a do-it-yourself masque is some dry cosmetic clay and a liquid with which to mix it. The only "equipment" you need is a small spoon and a tea cup, small bowl or even the palm of your hand. It takes very little clay, just a couple of teaspoons: the idea is not to pile on a thick layer (although if you want to you can). There are different types of clay that are commonly used: French green, bentonite, and white kaolin are probably the most often used. I like to mix it with a little plain yogurt, but you can use water, an herbal tea, raw pureed fruit (crush a couple of strawberries with the tines of a fork, or mash a little banana or almost any other soft fruit) or avocado, and mix it with the clay to a soft spreadable consistency. Wash your face, put the masque, relax and let it firm up before rinsing it off - usually 15 minutes or so. The advantage of mixing it up yourself (besides being cheaper) is that you can put what you want in it and it doesn't need preservatives, which all premixed masques should have.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

thanks for the info!
jr/John
nwohio

Post by nwohio »

I too have large pores and oily skin prone to blackheads. Merle Norman makes a very good mask that I think is what you are looking for. http://www.merlenorman.com/WebForms/Product.aspx?134
Mike
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Thanks for the link! Merle Norman... haven't heard that name in a while!
Actually, since my OP, tried some of the QED clay mask powder/mix, though
only with plain water, not the "hydrosol" Charles @QED recommends.
The results were really quite good and might have been a bit better had the
clay/water ratio been better (mine was too thick).
Ron was right... could have scared kids! Took a bit long to dry (too thick), but
no doubt it surely deep cleansed the skin, sucked out the blackheads, and
generally met or exceeded promises/expectations.
Highly recommended for those with the need and a bit of time: from mixing, to
application, to drying and removing spent nearly 45 minutes!
jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

I haven't used it, but my new favorite mall store - Lush - carries mask products.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Updating this a bit, I can now report I use the QED clay from time to time and really like the overall results.
Still struggling with the right water/clay ratio, but generally can recommend it for those with oily, occasionally
"troubled" skin.
DON'T use it on freshly-shaved skin!
jr/John