What's today's soap or cream?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

What's today's soap or cream?

Post by brothers »

Mine's going to be Martin de Candre tonight. I'm letting my freshly hand made soap rest and cure for a few weeks before I hit it full time. So what is/was yours?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Araner

Re: What's today's soap or cream?

Post by Araner »

I used Mama Bear’s Rosemary Mint glycerin shave soap today. I know that the glycerin shave soaps aren’t very popular amongst the members of this forum but this soap works better for me than any other soap I’ve tried; and I’ve tried a lot.

Regards,
Mike
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

Just cracked open a new puck of Ogallala Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorn soap. A fine tribute to the art of Bay Rum shaving!
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
jaguar

Post by jaguar »

Provence Sante Green Tea Shaving Soap
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Just got some Taylor and Proraso cream samples and tried Coconut this morning. Nice stuff! The usual fine Taylor shave with a nice, and not overpowering, coconut scent. Tomorrow: Taylor Sandalwood!

Dave
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

trumpers rose of course! :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Todays was Cella.

I have a rotation of 5 (?) soaps that I'm presently using to lower the inventory of soaps/creams in my cabinet. They are (in no particular order) Cella, Lider, TopTen for Men, VdH, and Mikes Mint/rosemary. On Sunday I get to pick from the cabinet if what's on deck doesn't thrill me, or someone has discussed a soap that I really must use based on the discussion. I'll be very glad when these soaps/creams are used up, but then I'll move on to others that I want out of inventory. I couldn't do it if there weren't good soaps in the mix; I'd go nuts, or just put them down the hopper. My intention is to keep in the cabinet only those that I really like and find exceptional. I've been doing this for almost a year and have used up very few soaps. Their longevity demonstrates to me just how many soaps I have in stock as far as shave time goes.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

MWF 8)
Eric
jaguar

Post by jaguar »

Institut Karite Shaving Soap
brothers

Post by brothers »

Last night it was my HMS (home made soap). This afternoon I used a bit of Stephans Stay Smooth brushless for a test shave with a newly honed razor.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jaguar

Post by jaguar »

This week I have been using some of my long neglected French shaving soaps, and this morning's shave with Pre de Provence was superb.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It looks like it should be HMS from now on.
Gary

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Today I used Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil shaving cream, a wonderful old one.
_______
John
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Though I envy John's having a C&E Sweet Almond Oil Cream,
today's choice of D R Harris' Arlington soap was no disappointment.
Plenty of rich, slick lather, and a pleasant enough scent.
My next go-round will probably be a just-acquired puck of the new
Valobra "Cologne" hard shave soap, which I hope will be a worthy
successor to my AOS tallow.
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

jr, how would you describe the cologne fragrance?

My soap was the HMS, and probably will continue. No need to post that.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Flash G wrote:MWF 8)
+1 -- I mean really, is anyone surprised??? :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

brothers wrote:jr, how would you describe the cologne fragrance?

My soap was the HMS, and probably will continue. No need to post that.
Gary,
Open the jar and you get a relatively weak "cologne" scent, whatever that ay mean to you.
To my nose, not a distinctive scent at all. Perhaps best described as a "generic cologne."
Once I put brush to puck, I'll try to let all know what my nose senses.
When the fougere version is back in stock at BullGoose, perhaps I'll order a puck.

As a P.S., there will be controversy, I'm sure, on the presentation of the Valobra puck.
The soap lies naked (unwrapped) in a rather plain plastic jar, which in turn sits in a
carton. Considering Italy is home to some of the world's better manufacturers of glass
and plastic containers (e.g., Reggiani), some will argue a soap commanding a nearly
$ 30 price deserved a classier presentation. I have no dog in that fight!
jr/John
jr/John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Hmmm....well, I've not seen it but from your disciption it does seem that at that price they could and should do better regarding the presentation. I'm quite sure the soap itself is very good.
Regards,
Gordon
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gordon, Gary, et al,
The Cologne version won't win many votes on the basis of scent/fragrance. When loaded on the wetted
brush, there is still no definitive scent... to my nose still a generic and inoffensive fragrance. And
whatever it is, it isn't very pronounced.
Some users have reported they can detect a "clay" note, which is said to be common to other Valobra-
manufactured shave soaps. If it's there, I don't get it and wouldn't mark down this item for that reason.
Yes, Gordon, THE LATHER!! I think it's just fabulous: rich, slick and protective. Dare I say it's probably
better than my year-old revered AOS tallow Lavender puck?? Certainly it's at least equal to AOS, and to
DRH Harris, and to MWF, and to ....
I am/was very impressed and pleased in every way with today's shave Valobra "Cologne" hard shave soap.
Hope it will be as well- received by many others, so it can be around for a long, long time.
jr/John
jr/John
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

Thanks for the info on the Valobra, John. I have a jar of the Patchouli on the way from Spain. I should mention that the price at Gifts & Care is rather competitive (read cheaper), so hopefully the packing won't be disappointing at that price point. Considering the rather higher cost of the Czech and Speake soaps (also Valobra) and their minimal packaging, I will be happy with the blue plastic jar, I think.