More humbug

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

More humbug

Post by bernards66 »

Yes indeed, and just in time for Xmas. I was in the local Nordstroms today ( I rarely putz around in the malls here anymore ) and I spied an apparently new 'Jack Black' shaving set. Yep, believe it or not, a DE razor, shave brush, and a pot of shave cream. The handle of the razor was a blue acryelic of some sort but it did have some nice weight. I'm not sure about the razor head...Parker perhaps? Oh, and did I mention that it costs $125?....well, it does. The brush was priced similiarly and had the same sort of handle with a loosely machine packed knot of decent looking/feeling badger bristle. The shave cream I was unable to examine because it has an inner seal that would need to be cut open and I didn't have my glasses so I couldn't make out the ingrediant's list. Now y'all, don't trample each other on your way out the door in your haste to get to the nearest Nordstroms....ummm.....
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Re: More humbug

Post by brothers »

One thing I've noticed about Jack Black is the emphasis they place on marketing their products. This time of year, one would expect them to sell more than a few of these shaving sets. She's looking for something nice to give any or all of the men in their lives, and there ya' go! Ring it up and wrap it up. Now I can mark his name off the shopping list. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'll try to restrain myself Gordon.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

me too :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Only $ 125??? Mmmmm!
Just kidding!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

thank goodness there's not a Nordstroms around here!
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

I have walked into several hipster barbershops where young bearded fellows with retro sailor tattoos have attempted to sell me on Jack Black's "awesome" products.

And out the door I went...

RR
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

My goodness!...what a restrained lot we have here all of the sudden ( chuckle )....no mad dash to Nordstroms before they sell out eh? Go figure.....
Regards,
Gordon
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

RazorRamone wrote:I have walked into several hipster barbershops where young bearded fellows with retro sailor tattoos have attempted to sell me on Jack Black's "awesome" products.

And out the door I went...

RR
I'm intrigued. What else defines a hipster barber shop?
Regards,
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm just wondering whether we should revoke Gordon's member ship for even mentioning this modern nonsense. :wink: But there again I've just had two lovely passes with a straight razor using homemade soap and a Somerset CH2, followed with a good splash of Skye and I'm already to cook for the hungry hordes. Jack Black couldn't make anyone feel up to that!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

drmoss_ca wrote:I'm just wondering whether we should revoke Gordon's member ship for even mentioning this modern nonsense. :wink: But there again I've just had two lovely passes with a straight razor using homemade soap and a Somerset CH2, followed with a good splash of Skye and I'm already to cook for the hungry hordes. Jack Black couldn't make anyone feel up to that!

Chris
Really, Chris, you didn't use the brush you made with that old ivory Chubby handle and the hair your dog shed a couple of summers back?

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh let's be realistic Buzz, he clips the dog.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sadly, I'm dogless. And the two bloody siamese monsters I have inherited are too short-haired for brushes, even though they manage to present large furballs on the carpet (amongst their other presents). Never get siamese cats!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Siamese are in league with the Devil. Maine Coon cats are cool though.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Funny that Gordon would mention Jack Black shaving products. Had never heard of them until a few years back I was at Merz Apothecary in Chicago and asked them for some shave cream recommendations. First thing the young lady offered was Jack Black something or other. I had hoped that she would have mentioned Taylor's, T&H, Trumpers etc which I know are pretty good creams but instead she pulls out this Jack Black stuff.

I bought some Taylor's from her and took a sample of some of the Jack Black home with me. Did give the cream a quick trial run at home and was very disappointed in its performance. No more Jack Black stuff for me. I won't even let them put any samples of the stuff in my bag when I made my semi-annual trip to their shop.

Going there today, not so much to buy shaving supplies but instead to get some wonderful bath soap. And Wendell will love this. MWF bath soap. And Wendell I want you to know that my wife has even taken to the MWF bath soap. Likes the scent and the gentleness to her beautiful skin. Thanks for beating the benefits of MWF soap products into our heads, or mine at least.

Please say a pray that I don't go nuts and spend, spend, spend at Merz today.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

If you go to a place where they have JB reps, they seem very knowledgable on wet shaving, but its a thin veneer... Scratch too much and all they know are their talking points. Don't stray from the script. And yes, product is not worth the hype or price point, but that's just my opinion.
Tom
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

As much as it pains me to say it the least useful information I've received has been from the folks behind the counter.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Unfortunately, with only a VERY few exceptions, that's true. Scott, who was, afterall, the founder's son, at Cambridge Chemists was a positive gold mine of information and history regarding the traditional shaving goods purveyors and the chap who used to be the the head clerk at the Bergdorf Goodman Men's toiletries dept. also knew a thing or two and a couple of others perhaps. But that's about it out of the scores of sales people I've talked with in person regarding shave goods and men's grooming over the years. There was a slightly older gal at AoS in NYC who at least seemed interested in learning but beyond that it's been either pitiful or annoying depending upon my mood. Oh, and yes, Maine Coon Cats are good, also Siberians but Chris is right, Siamesers are just dreadful...would never allow my ex to even consider one. When she finally got one anyway...well....our marriage didn't last much longer.
Regards,
Gordon