Rooney Revisited

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Antique Hoosier

Rooney Revisited

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Only my second Rooney in the going on 7 years in this obsession. A Rooney 1/2 arrived yesterday via a WTB request. Thanks Doug! It is a very substantial brush and the knot reminds me of a Chubby 2 in density. The horn is quite unique. I try to stay minimalist but I would go Rooney again because of the very fine build quality. I can only imagine if it was one of the rarer Finest... Very pleased to add it to my den!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (296.68 KiB) Viewed 5327 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (307.48 KiB) Viewed 5327 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (317.92 KiB) Viewed 5327 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (336.38 KiB) Viewed 5327 times
Mike
brothers

Re: Rooney Revisited

Post by brothers »

Nice brush Michael! Enjoy!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Antique Hoosier

Thanks Gary. It is rare when an item makes its way into my den these days
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

A beautiful work of functional art indeed.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have the same model, but packed with Blonde Badger, and I mean packed; the Chubby2 is an appropriate analogy. It's a beautifully made brush, but the knot is just too dense for me. My preference these days runs towards knots such as the Kent BK4, Shavemac Beehive Finest, Rooney Heritage Emillion1. Accordingly, I've traded my Rooney 1/2 Blonde for a Simpson's Emperor2.
Bryan
Antique Hoosier

It is stuffed! I prefer flow thru as well but it does provide a unique face lathering experience
Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Use in good health.....I cant believe all the lather you make.....whats on your brush would last me a week haha!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

Rooney's are my favorite brush, and the 1/2 is my favorite model because its the perfect brush.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm with marc here, Rooneys top my list as well.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I can't imagine a brush any better than the Rooney Finest. Those particular badgers provided some outstanding hair and the makers of those brushes knew their trade.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Beautiful brush...my Rooney shaves are really enjoyable...fine craftsmanship..
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

My Emillion was denser than I generally care for, and it came without the gel-tips that some Heritage hair is known for, but it still had the best face-feel of any brush I've used.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, the Emillion is super packed, probably the densest brush I've owned.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Yeah, my Emillion is extremely dense as well. But, apparently, the version being offered now is considerably less so. In another thread here recently Bryan and I came to the conclusion that the Emillion brushes that we have are quite different; mine being from the first group of them made and his having been bought not long ago.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gordon has it right: my Emillion1 is not an overly dense brush; more like a Kent BK4.
Bryan
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

If I was in the market for a smaller brush, the Emillion 1 would be near the top of the list. Heritage hair, a less-dense knot, and that beautiful Emillion handle is very appealing. I'm not sure if Bryan's has the gel tips or not, but if it does then the brush makes it to the top of the list.

I've also been a fan of the Rooney 1/2, had a couple myself from circa 2008, but the bloom on both was just too much for me. Michael's 1/2 looks to have a more controlled bloom, which I prefer. Nice brush.

The Truefitt and Hill website is currently offering their "Wellington," which looks to be a 1/2. They're offering it up with a porcelain finish option, too. They had run out of this brush a while back, on their old website, but apparently found some stock somewhere. That combo makes for a pretty nifty looking brush.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, my Emillion is one of the early (first run?) models and if it had a loft like the BK4 I would be using it more.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Ron, I can't say if my Heritage Emillion1 has gel tips or not because I don't understand what the feel of gel tips is like. Nevertheless, I'll use the brush tomorrow and try to describe the feel of the tips as best I can. What first drew me to this brush was the handle, but after using it a few times I must say that it has the most exquisite face-feel. I'm not really into dense brushes and I struggle with my Chubby1 best; the Emillion is a pleasure to use in comparison.
Bryan
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Bryan, I guess the short answer in describing "gel tips" is that when wet, the bristle tips feel soapy-slick, though it's not soap clinging to them. There's a much deeper discussion here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread ... Manchurian
and here:
http://shavenook.com/thread-brands-that ... h-gel-tips

I only mention it in passing and didn't mean for it to sound like a big deal. My Emillion didn't have them, and as we've both experienced, the face-feel is pretty darn good anyway.
Ron
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Ron, I read the threads discussing gel tips and I don't think my Heritage Emillion has gel tips. I'll feel them again tomorrow just to be sure. I hadn't used the Emillion for a couple of weeks so it was a really joy to use it this morning.
Bryan