A SMF Sort of Thing

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

A SMF Sort of Thing

Post by bernards66 »

Well, after ten years of interacting at these forums ( and the occasional phone call ) Sam and I finally met in person for a nice casual dinner this evening. I chose the same deli-restaurant at which I used to meet with Dominic and I've met a couple of other forum members there as well over the years. Of course we discussed 'shave stuff' and spoke about some those members who we appreciated but who are no longer around; Charlie V., Donnie Cypwood, Gramps, Nathan, Cory, etc. But we also talked about some much more personal matters, the kind of conversation that guys don't usually have except with very close friends, and it felt entirely natural to be talking on that level. I don't know, perhaps relationships like this happen on other 'hobby' forums as well, I have no way of knowing, but I think that it's kind of special. SMF is that sort of place.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: A SMF Sort of Thing

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for sharing
de gustibus non est disputandum
marine-mp

Post by marine-mp »

Too cool 'fer school!!!!!!! :) I visit the SMF forum every day and look forward to the new posts. Funny how such tasks, like putting a surgical edge to your face can seem so mundane and task-like to some, becomes a baseline for a lasting friendship. Thanks for sharing. Mike
Semper-fi and This We'll Defend
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gordon,
It may happen at other forums, but certainly not among the same high caliber of gentlemen.
You need only follow posts at other forums for a week or so to realize the level of experience
the posters here exhibit and the gentlemanly tone of the exchanges of opinion.
Can't beat it!
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
SRD

Post by SRD »

Great post Gordon.
Dave
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for sharing that, Gordon. It sounds like a truly rewarding meeting of friends and, as John pointed out, it is a fine reflection of the gentlemanly atmosphere that has always defined SMF in particular. I would love to have the chance to meet some of our members here, some day, myself.

- Murray
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

For me, SMF is a neat site. It allows us to share our experiences and learn from one another. I also believe we have mutual respect among the members and respect each other's opinions and thoughts. I have learned a lot from our "senior" members and appreciate their input. I look forward to many more years of chatting with you all.

Take care,
Ed
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Excellent post. That deli was raised to the status of Blades. This place is like the House of Lords and it's members conduct themselves as such.

Chris
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Yes, Chris. "Dinner at Blades," chapter and verse.
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

It felt natural meeting and talking to Gordon, like we just resumed a conversation we had a few years earlier in person. Interesting thing, the history of how he and I found shaving forums and how he acquired his knowledge of blades, and English bath products, colognes, etc. I remember many of the guys he spoke of in his post, and we talked of others in person, and Chris Moss also goes back to the Wetshavers forum, its spinoff, etc.

I remember getting my first things of Trumpers from Donnie C., and Chris Fisher. There have been men I have met on other forums that post her, like Charlie V., jlmwrite, and others that used to go back to a clothing forum before askandyaboutclothes.com took off (and Andy was just a poster!!) And I knew Chris Fisher from over at basenotes as well.

Yet SMF has felt like home, and really like a club we all would have joined in highschool and college, kinda like coming in, whatever time we had after class, kicking back and shooting the breeze and maybe a few going out for a bite to eat afterwards.

I have had lunch with Danny (Chaps) and ran into him out at the movies, and he also posts at the askandy site. I also met a guy from the straightrazorsplace forum who drove through Memphis to Nashville and popped in to say hi.

So meeting with Gordon, the time ran so fast. I am visiting my parents in Largo so I was just a 30 minute drive across the bay to where we met. We had dinner and talked for about 90 minutes and it seemed like we got started. Gordon is every bit the gentleman in person that he is on line, and is very engaging, down to earth, and, well, I wish we had a meetup where all of us could attend.

Gordon, thank you for starting the thread and thank you for having met up with me. The pleasure was all mine.
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Is there any chance of getting a Northern Virginia meeting? I live in Woodbridge, Va and will coordinate a meeting. I will be willing to travel to a "central" location. Please let me know if interested.

Ed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, I don't know about it quite being 'Blades' afterall, but it is a pleasant place to meet and chat and the chow's not bad. Hell, if it were like Blades neither Sam nor I could afford to join even if asked ( chuckle ). I'm certainly relieved to hear that Sam thinks I am as much of a 'gentleman' in person as I am on line, as I'm a little less....restrained in person compared to how I may come across when I type. I remember meeting up with one former member in Greenwich Village a number of years ago. The poor fellow was clearly taken aback somewhat, and a little disappointed I think. Here I was; kinda short, goatee, ski jacket and jeans....I think he was really expecting David Niven. Ah well...we had a nice afternoon anyway.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Over the years I have frequented and joined several forums around various topics. SMF, remains the lone standard among all others -- in fact, I haven't posted on another forum in at least 4 years -- possibly longer. Perhaps it's that SMF feeds my need for internet forum activity, as we talk about so many different things --- I can guarantee you the folks on the AV forums I used to be on wouldn't bother talking about snowshoeing or biking. Perhaps the folks on the cycling forum would get into other fitness options, but they wouldn't bother to talk about the wonderful feel of the shower and shave experience after a good run on their bikes.

Any chance of you all coming up to Ottawa in the next week or two? It's Winterlude time.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Gentlemen, when we have these meetups. Does no one take photos to commemorate the occasion?

Just seems like a neat thing to share with the rest of the club.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jason, Well that's certainly a reasonable question and members have, on occasion, posted pictures of meet-ups, or of themselves visiting London shops and whatever. Myself, I'm technologically hopeless ( just ask Chris Moss....he knew better than to even consider asking me to be an admin....I wouldn't have a clue how to handle the computer part of it ). I'm told that my old fashioned style flip top cell phone 'CAN' take pictures but I've no idea how. I'm sure Sam is much more with it but perhaps it just didn't occur to him the other night as we got to yakking intensely from the start and continued until we parted. Hopefully we will get together again in the not too distant future and perhaps then he can take a few shots with his smart phone.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I suppose it would be too much to ask whether anyone carries point-&-shoot digicams in a pocket anymore? Without a picture, however, we can let our imagination run wild about the scene itself. Love to read these posts.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh let's leave some mystery I say, or perhaps that's an excuse because though I'm informed my phone can capture an image I haven't learned how to do that.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Squire wrote:Oh let's leave some mystery I say, or perhaps that's an excuse because though I'm informed my phone can capture an image I haven't learned how to do that.
Gordon and Squire,
These confessions of technical inadequacies have encouraged me to admitting meas culpas on all such things too.
There I said it and a heavy weight has been lifted from my shoulders!
Anyone else have a weakness for Irish Coffee, chocolate-covered cherries or Veal Parmagiana?? As long as I am confessing
I'm letting it all hang out!!!
Ahhh, I feel so much better!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I prefer to think of it as a noble stand against modern intrusiveness.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Me too...glad to hear that I'm not the ONLY one.
Regards,
Gordon