Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies - Drugs Suspected Cause

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies - Drugs Suspected Cause

Post by jww »

The inter-web has been frantic with the reports on this sudden death. It's just so sad when someone has such little value of themselves that they take their life with some kind if illegal, hallucinogenic substance. The world of celebrity carries with it such pressure and expectations. It is so tragic when one can't get the full help they need to overcome their demons and weaknesses.

I have not seen all his movies, but can say I haven't seen him do anything bad. Doubt was by far my favourite of his roles. His bad guy in MI3 was by far the best espionage/action movie bad guy I have ever seen. And his take on Plutarch Heavensbee in Catching Fire was perfect. Yes, I am a Hunger Games fan. Not a nutter, I just happen to like the stories and the movies.

This is just sad.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies - Drugs Suspected Cause

Post by Squire »

Regrettable, all such news is, whether suicide or accident though it was his choice.
Regards,
Squire
SRD

Post by SRD »

That's a loss. He was quite a talented actor. I think I enjoyed every thing that I saw him in.
Dave
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

I am frequently torn when learning of a person seemingly in possession of fame, fortune and family choosing a self-destructive lifestyle.
On one hand sad for the loss of a life, any life, on the other unsympathetic when you realize how many others deal with larger, more painful
problems without resorting to the "consolation" drugs supposedly provide. Hoffman, Ledger, Wineglass (?)....
The saddest part is that my guess is probably few young people learn of these tragedies and decide to give up their own drug habits or other
destructive behaviors; so a life is lost, no, wasted, and little or nothing comes of it.... that's the true tragedy.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

It's a tragedy on many levels. I have no idea what drove Hoffman to heroin addiction, but it's an extremely difficult affliction to overcome. Apparently, he had been clean for a significant amount of time, had young children that he loved and was almost universally admired as a nice, unassuming guy. He had much to live for and yet succumbed to something he apparently could not control. The world has lost an incredible talent, and it's a damn shame.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

JRTASTER . Think you are referring to Amy Winehouse?

One of the things I liked most about Seymour-Hoffman was his unassuming way. You rarely saw him doing the red carpet stuff at events, and he always was a great interview. A great talent gone .... Just so sad.

<<edited for spelling -- sorry, posted this one originally from my tablet which ran spell check too quickly for me to notice. >>
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I am no fan of movies. So this does not affect me in any personal way.

That being said, it is always tragic to see someone who seems to have anything one could want...and yet they are plagued by personal demons that leave them in a silent scream for help.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

jww wrote:Jet aster . Think you are referring to Amy Winehouse?

One of the things I liked most about Seymour-Hoffman was his unassuming way. You rarely saw him doing the red carpet stuff at events, and he always was a great interview. A great talent gone .... Just so sad.
LOL, yes Winehouse.... I should have know better, she was a favorite of my daughter
jr/John
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
Until now I don't recall ever hearing of this chap, notwithstanding his being the winner of an Oscar, but then I don't watch movies. To your point Wendell about his unassuming way.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rufus wrote:
jww wrote:
Until now I don't recall ever hearing of this chap, notwithstanding his being the winner of an Oscar, but then I don't watch movies. To your point Wendell about his unassuming way.
I do watch movies, and also don't recall ever hearing of this fellow. Too bad. He probably had never heard of me, or any of us, either. I If I can, I'll try to remember to write these movies down so I can eventually watch them. The MI3 might be a good place to start.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Early in his career, he was great at playing the smarmy, doughy rich kid in movies like "Scent of a Woman" and "The Talented Mr. Ripley." He was mainly known for supporting roles, but won his Oscar for the lead in "Capote." He was hysterical as Ben Stiller's ill-chosen confidant in "Along Came Polly," a former child star trying to hold onto lost fame.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

He did a good job in Capote. I didn't know, or had forgotten, he won an Oscar for the role but it was a fine performance.
Regards,
Squire
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Kyle76 wrote: I have no idea what drove Hoffman to heroin addiction
An ex-girlfriend who had been a junkie, but with incredible willpower and determination had kicked the habit, put it well. "What drives you to heroin can be anything. What drives you to heroin addiction is: heroin."

Word.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Just wondering....
Hollywood and the Entertainment "Industry" in general has vocally adopted several "causes,"
including AIDS. Perhaps they should consider marshaling their considerable resources to
attack drug addiction and the entire drug culture.
Michael's friend was fortunate to be able to rehab out of an addiction. NONE of the addicted
souls I have known have ever conquered their habit, despite numerous attempts and lots of
time, money, and resources expended in the efforts. As Michael suggests once someone "plays"
with addictive substances, the first step down the very slippery slope has been taken.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Asking Hollywood to eschew drugs is handing the asylum over to the inmates.
Regards,
Squire