Dry Shaving

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Ouchmychin

Dry Shaving

Post by Ouchmychin »

After many discussi0ns here at SMF on wet shaving methods I decided to just let my beard grow. After two days I didn't like the way my neck looked so I wanted just to shave that. But I was wearing a turtle neck sweater at the time and as I pondered what to do, laziness gave birth to a great idea. Why not try dry shaving with my trusty Schick injector loaded with a Personna 74 tungsten blade. No need to do many passes for I wanted to accomplish, so just against the grain. Neck got real smooth in one direction but some areas want to grow horizontally too. I shaved them off and then decided to give just the middle of my cheeks a trim. All felt well and smooth for a couple of minutes but the stinging started and now I am going to try to soothe with some balm. Not a method for every day, but I am surprised how well it worked --and I didn't even have to rinse my razor. Just kept it dry and blew the whiskers off. My, My.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
marine-mp

Re: Dry Shaving

Post by marine-mp »

Now that requires some pretty large quihones...no doubt!!! I've never tried dry shaving because I just enjoy the "preparation" to much!!! Grew a beard in my younger days...but the military-man in me got the better of the whiskers and off it came. Nope...no dry shaving for this homey!!! Semper-fi Mike
Semper-fi and This We'll Defend
brothers

Post by brothers »

My hat's off to you Pete! Just give you some whiskers and a blade, and off you go to fight lions in the coliseum! :D You're a legend!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

:shock: With the razors I prefer I think I'll stick to using a lubricant with them.

I have a buddy who tells me that he dry shaves. I think you both have a much larger pair than I have.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I almost always trim the ends of my sideburns using a dry razor. I do this once or twice a week to keep them in a straight line cut.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Like Wendell, I do a tiny touch up now and then dry too, however, i cannot imagine a full shave that way.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Janus

Post by Janus »

I dry shave the back of my neck with a de razor once a week, works fine. Wouldn't try this on my beard, though, as it is much tougher.
Janus
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Reminds me of the movie "The Dirty Dozen".

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/str ... pics/41173

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

My, my Pete....at your age and you NEVER tried this before now? ( chuckle ). I've dry shaved when I felt I had to ( a few times in the '70s mostly ) and while I 'got away with it', like you, it is not an approach I would recommend. BTW, lucky for you that you were using a really good blade or it might have been worse.
Regards,
Gordon
DoughBoy68

Post by DoughBoy68 »

Now that is someone I don't want to meet in a dark alley!
"If you knew half of what I have forgot you would be an idiot" by DoughBoy68
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sure, it can work, but so can an electric which also comes with a built in beard trimmer.
Regards,
Squire